Menu

Shameless brag! (and a question about flat irons/hair straighteners)

EK3-31-10.jpg

This is my beautiful 15yodd, EK, at the salon right after she got her hair cut last Wednesday. This is the 4th time in 8 years that she has had 10+ inches of hair cut for Locks of Love. She considers this her ministry -- since her hair grows so fast, she chooses to donate it to those who aren't so fortunate.

And here's my question:

As you can see, EK's hair is very thick. It's also somewhat wavy, but the stylist straightened it after cutting it. We would like to buy a decent quality straightener/flat iron to use at home -- one that won't damage EK's hair, so she can grow it out and donate it again. What do we need to look for? Would any of the Conair/Revlon/other straighteners at Wal-mart be okay?

My sis the stylist says ceramic all the way. She got me a Chi and a love it. It heats up fast, works fast, and doesn't snag my hair at all. I've seen them on sale from time to time, you just have to look.

Pass on anything that has a screw inside, on the plates. Ask me how I know.

I just started straightening my hair about 6 to 7 months ago. Yes, you need to get a better straightening iron, but you can get that from walmart. I spent about $69 on mine. Mine is the Conair nano silver (or something similar). I also use a smoothing shampoo and conditioner and let me tell you, it makes a big difference, my hair does not get frizzy when I use it. If I'm rushed and use my kids shampoo..its just not the same. Also for finishing I use Bead Head's headrush. It makes my hair SO SHINY!!

Oh and my avatar's pic is before I started straightening my hair, YIKES I'd better change my picture!.

Beautiful! And, Locks of Love is such a wonderful organization.

As for the straighteners, my daughter, who straightens her hair frequently, uses a Conair and is happy with it. The thing to look for, according to her stylist, is a straightener with ceramic plates. The Conair we have is ceramic and has low, medium, and high settings.

My sis the stylist says ceramic all the way. She got me a Chi and a love it. It heats up fast, works fast, and doesn't snag my hair at all. I've seen them on sale from time to time, you just have to look.

:iagree: Stylist pals tell me the Chi is the one to buy. It is pricey, tho'.

Great pic.

As far as flat-iron, I would not recommend the cheapy ones from Wal-Mart...they just don't do the job, at least not the way the you get it from the salon, unless your hair is thin and pretty much straight anyway. Any sort of thickness/curl and you will spend all day doing hair with poor results.

It's best to get a high-quality one, and you will have to pay around $100 for that. CHI's are awesome and ya can't go wrong there. I also have had a Solia, used with love. check out www.folica.com lots of options and many many reviews of flat-irons.

My sister, who got the long thick hair, has used irons for a while. She recommends the Chi if you can afford it, but says she has an Andis that really surprised her because of how inexpensive it was (it's the one I picked up because it got really great reviews on makeupalley.com). She also has an iron from Sally Beauty. They are a little higher than the Andis, but she says they are on par with the Chi. The brand is GVP (it's basically Sally's knockoff of more expensive irons; they also have GVP haircare, she says pick up the GVP knockoff of Redken Anti-snap for treatment).

Can you tell I'm on the phone with my sis while I browse the boards? :D

She also says get a good spray, serum, or cream heat protectant.

She also says to watch some youtube videos that show you how to curl your hair with the iron. She says it's pretty neat.

Hope this helps lol.

Wow! Lots of good information here on straightening hair. I am starting to understand why I was having such a hard time getting the straight hair. I am going to try the smoothing shampoo and conditioner. What I wanted to know is if anyone has tried a "wet to dry" straight iron. I found one by Chi and it claims to keep hair less wavy even in very humid environments. Any thoughts?

-Savannah

http://www.hammocktracks.com

I would recommend a CHI! I have very curly hair and it works very well on getting it straight. My hairddresser has a new flat iron now that she has to add oil in, and boy does it work wonderfully! My hair was so soft when she was finished I couldn't beleive it! I am not sure of the brand but she said it was about $100, the same as the CHI.

Just make sure you get a ceramic head on it.

My sister, who got the long thick hair, has used irons for a while. She recommends the Chi if you can afford it, but says she has an Andis that really surprised her because of how inexpensive it was (it's the one I picked up because it got really great reviews on makeupalley.com). She also has an iron from Sally Beauty. They are a little higher than the Andis, but she says they are on par with the Chi. The brand is GVP (it's basically Sally's knockoff of more expensive irons; they also have GVP haircare, she says pick up the GVP knockoff of Redken Anti-snap for treatment).

Can you tell I'm on the phone with my sis while I browse the boards? :D

She also says get a good spray, serum, or cream heat protectant.

She also says to watch some youtube videos that show you how to curl your hair with the iron. She says it's pretty neat.

Hope this helps lol.

I had not even think about Sally's, and believe it or not, there's one right here in our small town!

:iagree:

I highly recommend the GVP from Sally Beauty. With my cheaper Walmart flat irons I would have to go over the same section of hair a few times and still not get that straight, smooth hair. With my GVP, one pass through and it is straight. And it stays straight until you wash it. My dd has curly hair. I could barely get it straight with my other flat iron. With the GVP I can flatten her hair and 3 days later it is still as straight as when I flattened it for her.

Hope this helps lol.

I had my hair curled for a Christmas party and the stylist used the iron. It was really cool and she explained what she was doing while she did it, but do you think I've ever been able to replicate it at home? No :(

Maybe I just need a better iron.

I have thick, wavy hair and have grown it out 2 or 3 times to donate to Locks of Love. I've also used several different straighteners. My hair seems to hold up well to heat from straighteners and hair dryers, so I can't help you on that point. I finally got a CHi for my birthday this year, and I feel a tiny bit disappointed that it didn't live up to my expectations. It's great and heats up fast, but I think I got almost as good results with the ancient Conaire I used to have. I have tried several bad brands, though...Revlon was no good and another I can't remember. I like having a wider plate to do more hair at once.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vicky86
EK3-31-10.jpg

This is my beautiful 15yodd, EK, at the salon right after she got her hair cut last Wednesday. This is the 4th time in 8 years that she has had 10+ inches of hair cut for Locks of Love. She considers this her ministry -- since her hair grows so fast, she chooses to donate it to those who aren't so fortunate.

And here's my question:

As you can see, EK's hair is very thick. It's also somewhat wavy, but the stylist straightened it after cutting it. We would like to buy a decent quality straightener/flat iron to use at home -- one that won't damage EK's hair, so she can grow it out and donate it again. What do we need to look for? Would any of the Conair/Revlon/other straighteners at Wal-mart be okay?

Your daughter is so beautiful.

The price of items in Wal-mart is much expensive than online sellers. So I always buy products at online store.

There are three larger stores of Straightening Irons for your reference:

http://www.uxsight.com/category/36408/straightening-irons.html

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=+Straightening+Irons&x=0&y=0

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=+Straightening+Irons&_sacat=See-All-Categories