Menu

Deciding on LA for 2nd

LAmom

Would anyone like to share what they like best for LA?

My top 2 choices are PLL or R&S 2. What are the big differences there? SWB recommends R&S in her old book, but why not PLL since it is similar to FLL? Don't remember if she mentions PLL and why or why not she likes it.

Otherwise, FLL and CLE look good too.....:001_unsure:

Also, are they complete besides spelling? I am planning on R&S spelling, but what about using WWE?

Thanks! My head is spinning with all the choices out there and not being able to go to a store and stare at the book for awhile!

2nd grade is perfect for starting Phonics Road. No more choices because all LA is covered for 4 years. Grammar, writing, spelling, phonics, reading, literature, vocabulary. It is classical. I am so thrilled that we have it! I started the year out with separate programs and it is so hard to get them all done.

Would anyone like to share what they like best for LA?

My top 2 choices are PLL or R&S 2. What are the big differences there? SWB recommends R&S in her old book, but why not PLL since it is similar to FLL? Don't remember if she mentions PLL and why or why not she likes it.

Otherwise, FLL and CLE look good too.....:001_unsure:

Also, are they complete besides spelling? I am planning on R&S spelling, but what about using WWE?

Thanks! My head is spinning with all the choices out there and not being able to go to a store and stare at the book for awhile!

PLL is Charlotte Mason style. Rod and Staff is a textbook. With my oldest I used FLL for first and R&S for second. Both worked just fine, but I'm using PLL with my youngest. I've decided I like the gentle approach to grammar for 2nd and 3rd grade. I like the idea of introducing it through real life applications. We'll switch to Rod and Staff for 4th.

I don't know about CLE, but none of the others use spelling. I like SWB's suggestion of Spelling Workout. FLL and PLL cover narration, copywork and dictation so I think it's the most "complete" of the programs you've mentioned.

HTH!

Dorinda

I really like WWE for second grade and I saw alot of progress with my dd's narration/dictation skills. I would be continuing with the WWE series, but I had already planned on starting CW Aesop, so next year we'll blend the two. We tried a few things for spelling this year, but finally settled on Spelling Workout, which we will continue using. As for grammar, I never found anything I really like for that this year. FLL got the job done, but neither of use enjoyed it, I think this was because dd is not an auditory learner. We are going to try KISS grammar next year. Hope that helps!

It depends on which components of LA you're trying to meet w/ those programs. FLL is just grammar. WWE is just writing (not penmanship). R&S is an entire LA bundle but doesn't do writing in the same way WWE does, so you could do R&S, nix any R&S creative writing assignments and sub in WWE for that. CLE is also a LA bundle, but can be used w/ WWE subbing for CLE's creative writing. CLE & R&S have phonics integrated into them. I've never seen PLL, so I can't comment on that.

If you haven't already, spend some time looking at online samples.

- MBtP literature units

- Grammar with a Giggle

- WWE

- Harcourt Writing Skills workbook

- Harcourt cursive practice book combined with cursive copywork from

history lessons

- spelling - My oldest didn't need a spelling program. My middle child will hopefully be continuing with AAS when he gets to second grade.

I agree that if you are not done finishing phonics, then you should do so.

Don't miss Writing With Ease. It has the rich CM literature component that you are wanting with PLL. If you are choosing between the two then go with WWE. If you are worried about trying to do a grammar program and a writing program and you want to stick with only one, then go with WWE.

If I wanted to stick to one company, Rod and Staff would be my pick for all LA if it wasn't so religious and if I had not discovered Phonics Road. Their spelling is reviewed as one of the best, as well as their grammar. The only thing is that the second grade programs for both of those are not really needed. You can start in 3rd and be just fine.

Having used all of R&S Grammar grades 2-8, I'd say 2 is probably the least necessary. If you're choosing b/t RS and FLL, I'd say FLL seems better suited for a second grader. The RS2 is very slow, and we always thought that picking up in RS3 made for a much better introduction to the program. It's written better and just is easier to move through.

We used FLL 1/2 and enjoyed it at the time, although I admit that our retention wasn't the greatest -- actually not a con though, as I just don't expect any 1st or second grader to have fabulous retention of grammar. I have found strong 2nd graders and average 3rd graders really start to find balance in grammar, as it just seems to come to life when their minds are not only older, but able to focus on learning all things and not just reading, phonics, reading, phonics.

Having said that, I'd suggest the Phonics Road. We dropped all of our Language Arts variety and have found the application much easier coming from one source. It is SOLID, easy to use and really does help with getting it all done. Plus, the phonics and spelling component are wonderful and make sure the transition from phonics to spelling not only makes sense, but doesn't seem like a transition at all. As I said, I used all the RS books and I'll never deny how well grounded they produce a grammar student, but it is dull, dull, dull and then you'll have to find other materials to round out the rest of language arts. PR covers All Language Arts in one marvelous place. At first glance, you may think teacher intensive, but as you'll see from recent threads, it turns out it isn't at all...you just have a little learning curve.

Best wishes.

We're planning on using R&S 2 for 2nd, and I may *add* PLL. I think they'd be a nice complement to each other. We could do one orally, one written depending on the day. For example, if PLL is a picture study or poetry memorization that day, we could do the written exercises in R&S. If the PLL assignment was adorable copywork we just can't resist, we could do that and run through R&S orally.

So, here's my tentative line-up for 2nd grade LA:

R&S 2

PLL

Delightful Dictation with Spelling

Probably CLE Reading, too ;)

Good luck!

Sounds like fabulous choices. My rising second grader will be using FLL 1/2, A Reason for Spelling B, and copywork/narration.

My older kids use R&S English for grammar, but I prefer FLL for the younger years. It's gentle, fun, effective, and my kids have all enjoyed it. My older two remember the book fondly, and recently jumped into an action verb lesson with their little brother. :lol: All three of them acted out action verbs in the dining room and fell into a heap of laughter. :001_smile:

If you want help with writing then WWE would be a good fit. :001_smile: (It's not on my list because I've been doing grammar stage WTM-ish writing well before WWE existed.)

R&S spelling is very good too. My little guy will switch to it when he runs out of ARFS sets left by his siblings.

We'll be continuing with CLE....i've been VERY happy with it!! We don't use their spelling though...we use Sequential Spelling. Also continuing with FLL and possibly adding in WWE. I need to look through the samples of CLE 200 and see what all the LU's entail before deciding what we definitely add:)

I am assuming there have been threads on PLL vs FLL? I will search for that.

So these are gentle? I have read this a lot. What is meant by gentle? What would you call R&S then? Hard? Rough? Intense?

Thanks.

Gentle usually means effective without tons of drill. Gentle does not mean weak :)

RS is drill, baby, drill. Solid, but a ton of practice and review, very text book in design....I'm tellin' you though, the 2nd grade book....FLL is better.

Something I love about PR...gentle and very effective.

Gentle usually means effective without tons of drill. Gentle does not mean weak :)

RS is drill, baby, drill. Solid, but a ton of practice and review, very text book in design....I'm tellin' you though, the 2nd grade book....FLL is better.

Off topic....but I was reading your blog the other day and enjoyed it. I read something you wrote about TOG. I might just PM you some time with some questions if you don't mind. :)

Now off to explore FLL vs PLL AND Phonics Road!

Sorry to hijack but I could have asked exactly the same question as the OP:001_smile: I keep reading about Phonics Road but when I check it out I can't get past the price lol! I am homeschooling ds6 who is currently grade 1 for a further 2 more years (grade 2 and 3) before he starts school so would phonics road be an idea for one child for 2 years?

It seems an awful lot of money especially if I have to start at level 1 (presumably I'd do level 1 quickly and then levels 2 and 3 so $800?

Stephanie

We're wrapping up second grade now and here's what went over great for us:

- Rod & Staff English 2 -- loved this

- All About Spelling, levels 1-3 -- we flew through the first two; this includes dictation

- Writing With Ease 2 -- just the narration days which are 1st and 4th; we don't do her dictation

- cursive copywork -- if he doesn't use cursive in his spelling or grammar that day we have him practice it

It's worked very well for us and we'll probably do the same lineup for my younger son. Next year for 3rd grade we'll be continuing with R & S English 3 and All About Spelling 4 (and perhaps 5... we just move through it at his pace). We're changing to IEW for writing. We'll continue copywork in cursive for another year or two or until he switches to it on his own for all his work. At some point I'm going to insist all his work be in cursive.

I am assuming there have been threads on PLL vs FLL? I will search for that.

So these are gentle? I have read this a lot. What is meant by gentle? What would you call R&S then? Hard? Rough? Intense?

Thanks.

Nah, R&S is pretty gentle in the early grades too. :001_smile: I think most of us here just prefer FLL instead. Some prefer to switch over to R&S at grade 3 instead of 5. It's all personal preference. R&S can be done nearly all orally, and the rest can go on a white board. The front of the book even tells you not to do all the drill in it. You should choose what works best for your situation.

My older kids start with the oral section. If they ace that then we skip to the short review at the end and that lesson is done. If it seems like they may need more practice then we'll do the written drill too, but orally. Their lessons rarely take more than twenty minutes.

So would level 1 be ok for 2nd grade then? And then level 2 for 3rd? Is that where you are starting-level 1?

Stephanie

Yes. We are on week 8 in Phonics Road 1. There isn't really enough writing yet, but that will start soon. Phonics Road 2 is just as advanced in spelling and grammar than other programs I have seen for 3rd grade.

:iagree:

Nah, R&S is pretty gentle in the early grades too. :001_smile: I think most of us here just prefer FLL instead. Some prefer to switch over to R&S at grade 3 instead of 5. It's all personal preference. R&S can be done nearly all orally, and the rest can go on a white board. The front of the book even tells you not to do all the drill in it. You should choose what works best for your situation.

My older kids start with the oral section. If they ace that then we skip to the short review at the end and that lesson is done. If it seems like they may need more practice then we'll do the written drill too, but orally. Their lessons rarely take more than twenty minutes.

We did R&S orally and it worked fine, but I really like the flow of PLL or FLL for the younger grades. R&S splits topics up. They study nouns, then verbs, then do a poetry unit etc. PLL and FLL mixes it all up (which doesn't work for all kids), and you do a poem one day, talk grammar the next, and look at a picture the last day. Plus, they have it all, copywork, dictation, narration etc. I couldn't get it all done AND do R&S. It just wasn't realistic for us. As for writing and spelling, if you're totally into Charlotte Mason, you won't do formal writing until the child is 10 or 11, and spelling will be done "on the spot," not with lists (that's not us BTW;)) PLL and FLL don't cover spelling. That's why TWTM recommends Spelling Workout.

I've never used WWE, but, before WWE was published, TWTM recommended Copywork, Dictation, and then Writing Strands starting in 3rd grade. The second edition switched to Rod and Staff because it is complete (writing and grammar) and had extended it's curriculum through Jr High. However, it pointed out that the other curriculum were still good choices if Rod and Staff didn't work for you. The point I'm trying to make is, these are all still great choices, it just depends on what you're looking for, and what will work for you :001_smile:

Blessings!

Dorinda