Menu

Help me choose which math curriculum-now!

happyWImom

If you've seen my other posts, you'll know we've jumped around with math, not done it, and are basically behind.:sad: We are mainly doing Saxon 1 right now for dd, and here is the situation:

She needs a concept to be reviewed & doesn't do well if we move too quickly. We are on lesson 58 of Saxon 1, much of it is way too easy, but I'm not sure if we just go on to Saxon 2 or if she would be better off doing another curriculum-if so, which one???

She can: count very well, forwards and backwards, does well with money (we always do a # of days in school & use money to count in different ways), pretty good with the clock and time, basic addition and very basic subtraction, can count well by 2's, 5's, and 10's, knows the ones, tens and hundreds, knows her doubles up to 15 well.

We haven't done any multiplication yet or double digit addition or subtraction.

Okay, so that's it. Would Math U See be good for us? It's one I haven't looked at in depth. R&S and Abeka are no good for us.

Thanks!

We need to do math through the summer, so I need something now!

Edited by happyWImom
left out crucial info

We are using CLE and have been using Singapore. I just ordered MUS. I would look at part of a sample lesson and some sheets online. MM did not work for the DD I am ordering for. We school year round so I'm not sure how things will work in the long run but for now we are breaking for SM and going through Alpha.

Try a blue series Math Mammoth book in an area that you feel she needs help in. See if it works. My download was only $5 and it is doing wonders for DD after 3 other math programs and I used to be a math tutor!

:iagree:

Try the Math Mammoth Blue series books Addition & Subtraction 2A & 2B. They have excellent coverage of double digit addition & subtraction with borrowing & carrying. Very clear conceptual explanations (with illustrations) plus lots & lots of practice problems.

Jackie

Okay, I get why you are recommending MM, because of the cost (a plus) and the amount of practice/review they get. I like it too. But, I think she is more of a visual/hands on learner. She has done well with manipulatives in the past (one of the reasons I chose Saxon) and I like to have specific teaching instructions. Again, why we picked Saxon.

Math U See is the curriculum that I probably know the least about, and I know there have been many posts about them. I guess I'll try and look at some.

Now, we still do have Singapore, and I like the theory behind it, and was looking at some of the workbooks we have (1b, 2a) and it looks good to me. But, I really want to find something we are going to hopefully use & stick with, and I don't know if Singapore will be too difficult as we move up. So do we use Singapore now and then switch to say Math U See-which is completely different? Or vice versa? I don't know.

We lost two years of math due to switching to MUS. I would highly recommend that you use it as a supplement instead of as your main program. MUS works well as a supplement with just about any program. :)

I don't want to push you into Math Mammoth, but it does have a lot of visual examples similar to MUS, and is inexpensive if you are using two math programs. I have often thought that they would work well together. We are currently remediating with it and crossing out every other problem is working very well.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

So, it sounds like you like the Saxon and it works...you're just behind?

You could give her the placement test for Saxon 2. Sonlight has these online for free.

Or

You could give her a unit test in Saxon 1 per day and keep going forward to the next one until you get to a point that she isn't passing and start there.

FWIW: We had done just smatterings of math (Singapore Earlybird, the first half of Horizons K) and I put dd right in Saxon 2. It includes math fact memorization in it (not assumes they already have addition/subtraction down)....so you very likely could just move on to that.

NOW, if it's not working (and it didn't for us....we ditched it for Singapore) then that's a different matter.

So, it sounds like you like the Saxon and it works...you're just behind?

You could give her the placement test for Saxon 2. Sonlight has these online for free.

Or

You could give her a unit test in Saxon 1 per day and keep going forward to the next one until you get to a point that she isn't passing and start there.

FWIW: We had done just smatterings of math (Singapore Earlybird, the first half of Horizons K) and I put dd right in Saxon 2. It includes math fact memorization in it (not assumes they already have addition/subtraction down)....so you very likely could just move on to that.

NOW, if it's not working (and it didn't for us....we ditched it for Singapore) then that's a different matter.

I thought it was working, but when I see her having to count on her fingers to do a very basic, basic additon problem, it makes me rethink things.

I have never been good at mental math, and I really want her to understand a concept, not just memorize facts. I know they need to memorize somewhat, but I want her to really "get" it. Will Singapore do that? Will RightStart?

She loves to play things like war, money bingo and the card game where you have to add the numbers in your hand to make #10. Which is why I was looking at RightStart again. But, does anyone use RightStart in the upper levels?

We lost two years of math due to switching to MUS. I would highly recommend that you use it as a supplement instead of as your main program. MUS works well as a supplement with just about any program. :)

I don't want to push you into Math Mammoth, but it does have a lot of visual examples similar to MUS, and is inexpensive if you are using two math programs. I have often thought that they would work well together. We are currently remediating with it and crossing out every other problem is working very well.

Yes, I can see that MM would be a great supplement, but at this point, I don't know what it should be a supplement to! Like I said, I want her to get the concept-probably the way RightStart teaches it-mental math. Does Math U See teach the concepts in a similar way to RS? MUS is one I am the least familiar with.

Yes, I can see that MM would be a great supplement, but at this point, I don't know what it should be a supplement to! Like I said, I want her to get the concept-probably the way RightStart teaches it-mental math. Does Math U See teach the concepts in a similar way to RS? MUS is one I am the least familiar with.
Just to be clear, I was recommending MUS be a supplement. This thread might help: RightStart vs. MUS Here is another: http://www.vegsource.com/homeschool/classical/messages/392.html

All I did was a quick google search.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Here is just a thought: You could order the BJU online math course.(They are offering single courses starting this next year.) Their math is easier, in my opinion, and she would have her own teacher teaching her everyday. That would be one less stress for you. Sounds like she would fit right in to BJU math 2. It would be more expensive though. Hope you find a perfect fit for your daughter! :)

Here is just a thought: You could order the BJU online math course.(They are offering single courses starting this next year.) Their math is easier, in my opinion, and she would have her own teacher teaching her everyday. That would be one less stress for you. Sounds like she would fit right in to BJU math 2. It would be more expensive though. Hope you find a perfect fit for your daughter! :)

Really?? I have loved the idea of an on-line course! That's how she learned a lot of her phonics, and helped it "click" for her.

I am going to check it out.

(my head is spinning-I thought it was between MUS & RS)

I haven't seen the online BJU classes, but we've done BJU 1 this year. It is comparable to Saxon 2, in my opinion, although they do not get into multiplication until Grade 2 in BJU. (I had Saxon 2 and sold it; didn't like the incremental approach, and I hated the black and white format. I don't think my dd minded it that much, but I loathed it). BJU is very manipulative driven, and it must be taught (though not an issue if you do the online or DVD course, because then the teacher is teaching it). The TM's are very good. It is colorful, engaging, and it is mastery oriented (topics are divided by chapter, which I totally love), though not to the extent that MUS is where you spend a year on one operation. It is a traditional scope and sequence, which is important to me (I couldn't do MUS for this reason; I may have to put dd in school sometime in the next year or 2 so I don't want her to have big gaps). It is a good, solid traditional program IMO. If I do not use it next year, it will be because the manipulatives are unneccesary & a little too distracting for my dd.

I'm not sure I agree that BJU is easier; but it does focus on concepts and whys of math versus just teaching the operations.

Yes, I am going to do that for my daughter next year!! yeah! She will be in third grade and I'm not a "mathy" mom. :) If you check online, they do not have that option up yet. I got a pamphlet in the mail about it. I believe it will be accessible in about a month to order. You can always call the BJU number and talk to someone to get the specifics!

Well you sure have gotten a lot of varied responses! FWIW, I think that given your desire for your dd to have a solid understanding of mathematics a program like RS or Singapore would provide that. RS is very time intensive and it asks the student to look at math in a completly different way. For that reason there would probably be a time of ramping up where things became more difficult before they got easier. Singapore will also give a solid understanding of math if you use the Home instructor guide. I've found it can move fast for some dc & the extra practice books are helpful in that area. You may also find that you need a second program for review.

Good luck!

Jesi

And these are asked, gently. Really, because I'm trying to get a feel for if your dd truly needs a different approach or if you need something that works better for your family dynamics.

1. Have you worked on the math facts and she just isn't getting them or have you been inconsistent in working on them? Whether this is flashcards or games, they take time to get down.

2. Have you done math consistently and she just isn't getting it? Or would a simpler program, that gets done, be beneficial.

I ask, because I have the following experience:

1. RightStart didn't get done here. It was too time intensive. I know math requires one-on-one. I believe in devoting time to math.....this was too much for us. In addition to the lesson time, you need to devote time to playing the games for it to work.

2. I started this year using Singapore and Saxon. We get school done 3-4 times per week. I'm ok with that. EXCEPT: being spread between 2 math programs meant we would not finish either of them. When I sat down and really looked at them, I knew that I needed to simplify. Focusing on 1 program means that we are on track to finish that 1 program. While that's not everything..... I could see that using 2 programs meant we would gradually get more and more behind.

My dd responds well to Singapore, so I kept that. We work on math facts diligently (either Calculadders, flashcards, or QuarterMile Math every time we do math) and we occasionally do Saxon calendar time. So, instead of using 2 full math programs, I use 1 and 1/4. :)

I'm not familiar with MUS, BJU, or Math Mammoth...but these are just some thoughts I have about implementing a math program.

Edited by snickelfritz

Okay, I get why you are recommending MM, because of the cost (a plus) and the amount of practice/review they get. I like it too. But, I think she is more of a visual/hands on learner. She has done well with manipulatives in the past (one of the reasons I chose Saxon) and I like to have specific teaching instructions. Again, why we picked Saxon.

Math U See is the curriculum that I probably know the least about, and I know there have been many posts about them. I guess I'll try and look at some.

Now, we still do have Singapore, and I like the theory behind it, and was looking at some of the workbooks we have (1b, 2a) and it looks good to me. But, I really want to find something we are going to hopefully use & stick with, and I don't know if Singapore will be too difficult as we move up. So do we use Singapore now and then switch to say Math U See-which is completely different? Or vice versa? I don't know.

Do you like Saxon? If so, you would be fine to skip ahead to 2, or even maybe 3.

And these are asked, gently. Really, because I'm trying to get a feel for if your dd truly needs a different approach or if you need something that works better for your family dynamics. My only issue with Saxon is, will it teach her the concepts not just the facts to memorize. Because it doesn't come easy to her, so if she's just getting the basics & memorizing, she won't do well in the future.

1. Have you worked on the math facts and she just isn't getting them or have you been inconsistent in working on them? Whether this is flashcards or games, they take time to get down. Hmmm. We have worked on all of the stuff that I mentined she can do well, and the basic addition we have done to death. Also, we are constantly doing the breakdown of each number (3+3=6, 4+2=6...) copywork, you name it.

2. Have you done math consistently and she just isn't getting it? Or would a simpler program, that gets done, be beneficial. We have done Saxon since August, but obviously not daily. I've done other things, so that we have "done" math maybe a few times a week, but not 1 specific program daily.

I ask, because I have the following experience:

1. RightStart didn't get done here. It was too time intensive. I know math requires one-on-one. I believe in devoting time to math.....this was too much for us. In addition to the lesson time, you need to devote time to playing the games for it to work. I was worried about RS not getting done, which is why we initially didn't go with it. Would the math games they use benefit us, or do you need to know their "method"?

2. I started this year using Singapore and Saxon. We get school done 3-4 times per week. I'm ok with that. EXCEPT: being spread between 2 math programs meant we would not finish either of them. When I sat down and really looked at them, I knew that I needed to simplify. Focusing on 1 program means that we are on track to finish that 1 program. While that's not everything..... I could see that using 2 programs meant we would gradually get more and more behind.

My dd responds well to Singapore, so I kept that. We work on math facts diligently (either Calculadders, flashcards, or QuarterMile Math every time we do math) and we occasionally do Saxon calendar time. So, instead of using 2 full math programs, I use 1 and 1/4. :)

I'm not familiar with MUS, BJU, or Math Mammoth...but these are just some thoughts I have about implementing a math program.

BTW, thanks so much for taking the time to help me out with this-I appreciate it!:001_smile:

Well... it is not practice/review that makes Math Mammoth unique. Not at all. It is the way things are explained. It is the way things are approached from a lot of different angles. You want the concept down, oh boy, does this get the concept down! It would be easy to try it out because of the price, and the small units available, but I would recommend it even if it was the most expensive math curriculum available.

I thought DD was a hands on learner too. ::shrug::

I have the Rightstart Math games. They are a pain. The instructions are hard to understand. We used them maybe 3 times. I keep thinking that we might like the games that apply to later grades, like the ones for fractions and such, so I hang on to them. Maybe I should just let them go.

Overall, I have seen more raves about BJU math than any other math curriculum, and now there is an online option? If we weren't settled with Math Mammoth I think I would jump on that.

Well... it is not practice/review that makes Math Mammoth unique. Not at all. It is the way things are explained. It is the way things are approached from a lot of different angles. You want the concept down, oh boy, does this get the concept down! It would be easy to try it out because of the price, and the small units available, but I would recommend it even if it was the most expensive math curriculum available.

I thought DD was a hands on learner too. ::shrug::

I have the Rightstart Math games. They are a pain. The instructions are hard to understand. We used them maybe 3 times. I keep thinking that we might like the games that apply to later grades, like the ones for fractions and such, so I hang on to them. Maybe I should just let them go.

Overall, I have seen more raves about BJU math than any other math curriculum, and now there is an online option? If we weren't settled with Math Mammoth I think I would jump on that.

Carmen:

I did get MM addition from Currclick, and that's what I've been having them use as practice. I do like the different ways that they show you how to do it. The one thing that puts me off a little, is that there isn't instructions for me. (I'm weird that way-have to have a script). Unless I'm missing something.

BJU is one I've just never looked at. Why do you think it's so popular? (I am going to check out the reviews) Also, thanks for your input on the RS games. If you found the directions confusing, I probably would too! Dd & I are totally alike that way-can't understand the simplest directions. What kind of learner does that make us??? Ds, on the other hand, can do anything with directions.

Whoops, I guess I got a little off subject here.:001_huh: Thanks for your suggestions!

If you like to have a script, maybe you would like CSMP or MEP. Both of those are scripted programs, and in my opinion, easy to implement. It's just a matter of printing. If you would like to use CSMP, I would advise printing off the introduction to whichever section you want to use first. Then you could print off the schedule included there and print off a lesson a day. Or you could just print off the worksheets and use them once you understand the use of the mini-computer, arrows and strings.

For MEP, you would really only need simple things you probably have on hand for manipulatives. C-rods are nice to have, and would work for both programs. Free is hard to beat, especially for such great programs. I am very impressed with both of these programs, and highly recommend them.