Menu

Trying to put together a year of US History...

The big kids (14yo and 16yo) and I were talking last night about doing a year of US History next year, and trying to decide whether or not to use a text, or living books.

Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, I thought I'd ask here what some of you have used for high school US history.

I've looked at Sonlight's US History/Government, and while I like the suggestions they have for the government part...I find myself wanting to use more biographies and primary source documents for this. We've been sort of following the WTM sequence with world history, but I'd really like to set aside some time just for the U.S. (One of them will also do a semester of state history at co-op).

So...what have you guys done? Or, what are some great individual titles that you'd suggest for teens about US history, events, personages, etc.?

Have you ever used The Teaching Company courses? The US History course is supposed to be excellent; I plan to use it as a spine, and supplement it with the kind of materials you're talking about: biographies, original sources, literature, etc. (I have the DVDs but we haven't used them yet).

Here's a link:

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=8500

It goes on sale at least once/year (for at least 75% off), or you can often find it used on Amazon or ebay. (I got my set used from the Sale board here.)

Jackie

We are doing this now for 11th grade. I was a little nervous about doing a year of American History as I used a modified WTM approach (using Spielvogel, The History of the American People, The American Reader, and several others) with my oldest. But last year my 16yo daughter asked if we could do all of US History in one year - she thought that she would learn better this way. We are planning a year of European/World History next year so she will cover the rest of history, so to speak.

We're using Notgrass along with the Teaching Co. dvds. I made my own list of Literature (wasn't crazy about the one that is included with Notgrass) and we are having a good year. Notgrass is well organized, has great weekly writing assignments, and has a fine selection of primary source material. TTC is fabulous! It reviews things from Notgrass and gives all sorts of interesting extras. The European background for WW1 and WW2 has been especially helpful. She would have preferred to just watch the DVDs because she is a more auditory person but I thought that she needed to do it all - lectures, assigned reading and writing and discussions.

HTH!

ETA: She uses the Notgrass tests as a review, not as actual tests. If that makes sense.

Edited by Liza Q

We are doing this now for 11th grade. I was a little nervous about doing a year of American History as I used a modified WTM approach (using Spielvogel, The History of the American People, The American Reader, and several others) with my oldest. But last year my 16yo daughter asked if we could do all of US History in one year - she thought that she would learn better this way. We are planning a year of European/World History next year so she will cover the rest of history, so to speak.

We're using Notgrass along with the Teaching Co. dvds. I made my own list of Literature (wasn't crazy about the one that is included with Notgrass) and we are having a good year. Notgrass is well organized, has great weekly writing assignments, and has a fine selection of primary source material. TTC is fabulous! It reviews things from Notgrass and gives all sorts of interesting extras. The European background for WW1 and WW2 has been especially helpful. She would have preferred to just watch the DVDs because she is a more auditory person but I thought that she needed to do it all - lectures, assigned reading and writing and discussions.

HTH!

ETA: She uses the Notgrass tests as a review, not as actual tests. If that makes sense.

Which Teaching Company lectures are you using?

Trying not to steal the thread. . . But, if I posted this same query. . . and is looking for secular options, what would be some good options?

Well, for US History I'm going against what I usually do and I'll be using a college textbook and study guides, plus Critical Thinking books. Also, we'll be reading Memoirs of US Grant that year, Davis' Confederate States, and earlier writings from Jefferson, etc. You can download them free of Gutenberg or find inexpensive copies off eBay, for ex. It'll be a full package but I have to at least get in Grant's Memoirs, which are very readable and terrific, I might add. I loved it.

The College textbook that I found was also very readable and it is a far better read than Spielvogel's stuff. I'm reading it for fun! No kidding.

Conlin's The American Past: Survey of American History. I've got an older edition (7th) that's in new condition for about $7. I've read a chapter or two out of it and it was very interesting to read, FWIW. If you'd like to see his writing style, check out this link, but keep in mind that one has been revised. I think I liked the 7th better. You can get it new right now on Amazon for $3.00 plus shipping. ISBN 0534621368 :

http://books.google.com/books?id=8DWWbr9tCt0C&pg=PA484&lpg=PA484&dq=Connelly+Survey+of+American+History&source=bl&ots=ZB-Ewt8n-9&sig=d5i9uZSNiH3ZP2tGDz8pzTpTMo0&hl=en&ei=CdinS_rbOZOYtgfCv4iuDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

His texts come with study guides which might be harder to find, but not impossible. I picked up both guides for less than $20 on Amazon and eBay in new condition or near new. Also try Half.com.

Critical Thinking has a 4 part series out that's really good. They give you source documents, letters, etc and the child uses logic skills to interpret the writings and give their views. (Logic skills examined in the beginning of each book, BTW.) NOTE: You have to have the teachers guide and keys, too; can't get by without them.

An example of the content on Colonies to Constitution: On the Salem Witch Trials, they present various sources and evidence and the kids examine what really happened back in the village and what might have led to the events in 1692.

The set is a bit more pricey, but I plan to use it.

http://www.criticalthinking.com/series/074/index_p.jsp

These are all secular. I plan to use mine in the 10th grade. The writing in Conlin's textbook is not too complicated for a HS student IMHO. It is a survey, after all.

Kim

Edited by titianmom

I was thinking that our high schools in this area take two years for American History...

There's no reason why I couldn't do the same and that way I could get in more source reading along the way. Hmmm.....

(Ref: Conlin's survey of American History post with Critical Thinking books and sources like Grant, Jefferson, et al.)

Critical Thinking has a 4 part series out that's really good. They give you source documents, letters, etc and the child uses logic skills to interpret the writings and give their views. (Logic skills examined in the beginning of each book, BTW.) NOTE: You have to have the teachers guide and keys, too; can't get by without them.

An example of the content on Colonies to Constitution: On the Salem Witch Trials, they present various sources and evidence and the kids examine what really happened back in the village and what might have led to the events in 1692.

The set is a bit more pricey, but I plan to use it.

http://www.criticalthinking.com/series/074/index_p.jsp

These are all secular. I plan to use mine in the 10th grade. The writing in Conlin's textbook is not too complicated for a HS student IMHO. It is a survey, after all.

Kim

That set looks nice! Thanks.

Have you ever looked at Jackdaw's primary history resources or consider using a book like David Mc Coullough's ( I think I spelled it right) 1776 - another possiblity is Learning Through History Magazines ( I think they may be going out of print, though)

If you'd like I can try to find my disordered list of American history related movies...

...the book lists are incredibly helpful (especially those for younger kids...of course a mom of many wants to fold in the littles, too, lol!), but I would be so, so grateful if you would post your movie list. We love watching things that correlate to our learning!

Have you looked at Notgrass? http://www.notgrass.com/american-history-high-school-curriculum.php

What about TruthQuest? http://www.truthquesthistory.com/

I guess Truthquest would include Europe in the study, so that may not be what you want. Although you could just do the US part....

I see that someone below is using Notgrass along with the Teaching Company...hmm...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...