Menu

Weird or typical boy?

Ds (10) slapped his brother in the face yesterday.

When I asked him what happened he said that he had read a line in a book that said something like, "He looked at her like she had just slapped him in the face." He wanted to know what that looked like, so he slapped his brother so that he could see the expression on his face.

He was very, very sorry afterwards. And sad.

This ds has done a few things like that in the past. About six months ago he put a piece of toast in the toaster oven and turned it on and watched to see what would happen if he didn't take it out. It caught fire.

Is this typical boy behavior or is this something strange? How do you teach a child not to do stuff like this? I can't imagine leaving him home alone at this point (or any point in the near future). Is this a stage he'll grow out of?

Sounds like he takes things literally, plus wants to know what would happen if he did such and such. My son (10) doesn't have any common sense and not sure how to reach that. He takes things literally as well so we end up explaining a lot of jokes, etc.

Also has a tendency to pick up the bad behavior versus the good behavior in books and dvds, so we censor what he reads and watches. For example - Charlie brown joke books. My husband has a collection. James has been reading and picking up on Lucy's rude behavior and we've had a lot of explaining to do. Have since taken away the books until he's mature enough to understand.

Just tell you son if he wants to do an experiment to discuss what happens, he needs to clear it with you first.

Sounds like typical boy behavior to me! Sounds mild compared to my house. My boys wrestle and fight all the time. Doesn't help that their dad is a big instigator :glare:

Last fall I went out on the deck to check on the kids and my DS7 was three stories high up a tree! After I recovered from a brief heart attack I yelled what are you doing up there? He said his older brother,9, said I bet you can't climb to the top of that tree. I said get down right now!!!!!!! He said I don't know how to get down. So I ran to the back yard to the tree and talked him down branch by branch.

The boys wanted to know what happens if you put butter on the bread and toast it. Not pretty.

7 and 5 YOlds were drinking mud concoction in the yard yesterday...YUK...just to see what it would taste like. I looked out the window and my stomach rolled.

Out the window:

Me: What are you drinking?

7YO: Drinking water.

Me: Why does it look like mud?

7YO: ummm, there is some dirt on the outside of the jug.

Oh ya, last fall after a rain I found a worm in the entryway. I thought, jeez, we really need to seal up the door! Then I found another worm in the laundry basket sitting on the entryway. Freaking now that my house in infested. After I get the laundry in and coming up the stairs there was a worm coming down. I had another heart attack. Then the story came out that one son had some worms in his pocket he forgot to unload outside. After a few coctails I felt much better :D My husbands 3 brothers were over and they found this all real comical. My husband told him all my screaming was giving him a headache.

It will only get worse in my case, baby boy thinks of things all the others combined haven't yet thought of. He recently flodded the upstairs bathroom 2 days in a row. Once plugged the sink with 2 toothbrushes, a key, then toilet paper. Next day wads and wads of t.p. in toilet then just kept flushing.

oh...life with boys :001_smile:

I have 3 boys and while none of them have ever done the things you mentioned they have done plenty of other stuff. Ds6 started a fire in the bathroom when he was five- I had a candle going so he thought it would be a good idea to stick a newspaper on the flame. Ds 13 a few years ago put an egg in the microwave "to see what would happen." Ds 18 many years ago wanted to see what would happen if he rode his bike out of the back of dh's truck. He saw what happened alright, but it was only out of one eye!! He did a face plant and the whole right side of his face swelled up and his eye swelled shut. Boys just have a need to investigate I think. Makes me crazy, but what do I know? I'm just a girl.:tongue_smilie:

Sarah, I just read your post to 3 of our dc (1 ds and 2 dd's). They all burst out laughing and said the same thing I said ... he sounds like a future scientist. (He would probably get along really well with our dc. ;))

:iagree:

I can imagine it's scary for you, I'm sorry I can't stop laughing, but he sounds very much like a typical, and inquisitive, boy to me! I'll bet Thomas Edison and others started out in much the same way. :001_smile:

Maybe you can ask him to run things by you first before just doing experiments on his own. ;)

Have y'all seen this one about boys? :D

Things I've learned from my Boys (honest and not kidding):

1) A king size water bed holds enough water to fill a 2000 sq. ft. house 4 inches deep.

2) If you spray hair spray on dust bunnies and run over them with rollerblades, they can ignite.

3) A 3-year old Boy's voice is louder than 200 adults in a crowded restaurant.

4) If you hook a dog leash over a ceiling fan, the motor is not strong enough to rotate 42 pound Boy wearing Batman underwear and a Superman cape. It is strong enough, however, if tied to a paint can, to spread paint on all four walls of a 20x20 ft. room.

5) You should not throw baseballs up when the ceiling fan is on. When using a ceiling fan as a bat, you have to throw the ball up a few times before you get a hit. A ceiling fan can hit a baseball a long way.

6) The glass in windows (even double-pane) doesn't stop a baseball hit by a ceiling fan.

7) When you hear the toilet flush and the words "uh oh", it's already too late

8) Brake fluid mixed with Clorox makes smoke, and lots of it.

9) A six-year old Boy can start a fire with a flint rock even though a 36-year old man says they can only do it in the movies.

10) Certain Lego's will pass through the digestive tract of a 4-year old boy.

11) Play dough and microwave should not be used in the same sentence.

12) Super glue is forever.

13) No matter how much Jell-O you put in a swimming pool you still can't walk on water.

14) Pool filters do not like Jell-O.

15) VCR's do not eject "PB &J" sandwiches even though they do on TV commercials.

16) Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.

17) Marbles in gas tanks ! make lots of noise when driving.

18) You probably DO NOT want to know what that odor is.

19) Always look in the oven before you turn it on; plastic toys do not like ovens.

20) The fire department in Austin, TX has a 5-minute response time.

21) The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earthworms dizzy. It will, however, make cats dizzy.

22) Cats throw up twice their body weight when dizzy.

23) 80% of Women who read this will email it to their friends.

24) 80% of Men who read this will try mixing the Clorox and brake fluid.

Except that everything in that list pertains to my 10 yo *girl*

LOL.....or maybe not so much:001_huh:

1) A king size water bed holds enough water to fill a 2000 sq. ft. house 4 inches deep.

2) If you spray hair spray on dust bunnies and run over them with rollerblades, they can ignite.

4) If you hook a dog leash over a ceiling fan, the motor is not strong enough to rotate 42 pound Boy wearing Batman underwear and a Superman cape. It is strong enough, however, if tied to a paint can, to spread paint on all four walls of a 20x20 ft. room.

5) You should not throw baseballs up when the ceiling fan is on. When using a ceiling fan as a bat, you have to throw the ball up a few times before you get a hit. A ceiling fan can hit a baseball a long way.

6) The glass in windows (even double-pane) doesn't stop a baseball hit by a ceiling fan.

9) A six-year old Boy can start a fire with a flint rock even though a 36-year old man says they can only do it in the movies.

13) No matter how much Jell-O you put in a swimming pool you still can't walk on water.

15) VCR's do not eject "PB &J" sandwiches even though they do on TV commercials.

19) Always look in the oven before you turn it on; plastic toys do not like ovens.

21) The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earthworms dizzy. It will, however, make cats dizzy.

Not to make light of your concerns, but I thought the slap thing was fascinating. Now I"M wondering what that looks like .... as I've never actually slapped anyone before. :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

I have ...it looks kinda like this....:001_huh::svengo::cursing:

and then:

:leaving:

I know you're upset about these things; but your post brought a smile to my face - having raised 3 sons. (NOT saying boys are supposed to act like this, of course.)

Honestly, my first thought (after I smiled) was that you might have a scientist on your hands. He's using the scientific method .... what would happen IF .... Now, you just have to channel it into a little more constructive activities.

Not to make light of your concerns, but I thought the slap thing was fascinating. Now I"M wondering what that looks like .... as I've never actually slapped anyone before. :tongue_smilie:

When I asked him what happened he said that he had read a line in a book that said something like, "He looked at her like she had just slapped him in the face." He wanted to know what that looked like, so he slapped his brother so that he could see the expression on his face.

This ds has done a few things like that in the past. About six months ago he put a piece of toast in the toaster oven and turned it on and watched to see what would happen if he didn't take it out. It caught fire.

Is this typical boy behavior or is this something strange? How do you teach a child not to do stuff like this? I can't imagine leaving him home alone at this point (or any point in the near future). Is this a stage he'll grow out of?

I have 4 boys...and he sounds VERY normal to me. I was kinda like that as a kid too....even the face slap thing rang a bell.....hmmmmmmm, maybe I should call my brother and apologize.

Another vote for normal (but not desirable).

Great. Thanks. My 13 yo boy now wants to mix Clorox with brake fluid. . . .

BTW - did you know you can make a taser out of a disposable camera? And, d.s. 13, standing behind me, says that you can get the disposable camera free at CVS if you ask for the used ones. Ask me how I know.

Oh - said taser leaves your arm numb for a while. It leaves two bruises - one blue and one brown.

Gunpowder makes a VERY loud bang . . . (don't ask)

8 year old scientific-minded boys CAN and will make a still in your basement. (He was trying to make ethanol as a fuel for our car . . . )

If said boys ever ask for magnesium, do your research before you say yes . . .

Edited by Jennifer in MI

Except that everything in that list pertains to my 10 yo *girl*

LOL.....or maybe not so much:001_huh:

Ok, so maybe it's "my" child that's strange, because it fits HER to a "T." She's always been this way. And, yeah, so much. And seeing how she's daddy's little girl, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Doesn't help that their dad is a big instigator :glare:

:iagree:

The boys wanted to know what happens if you put butter on the bread and toast it. Not pretty.

It's not too bad if you have a comal. It toasts flat. :D

7 and 5 YOlds were drinking mud concoction in the yard yesterday...YUK...just to see what it would taste like. I looked out the window and my stomach rolled.

Well, it depends on the type of dirt. I've had mud before, and it was quite good. :tongue_smilie: Of course, I wouldn't eat the mud in our area for anything in the world.

Oh ya, last fall after a rain I found a worm in the entryway. I thought, jeez, we really need to seal up the door! Then I found another worm in the laundry basket sitting on the entryway. Freaking now that my house in infested. After I get the laundry in and coming up the stairs there was a worm coming down. I had another heart attack. Then the story came out that one son had some worms in his pocket he forgot to unload outside. After a few coctails I felt much better :D My husbands 3 brothers were over and they found this all real comical. My husband told him all my screaming was giving him a headache.

Hey, we like worms. We've even gone on worm-saving missions when the weather suddenly turned cold. I've not had them in my laundry though. I guess I'd have to make sure it was still alive before relocating it to our garden.

My boys don't do things like that any more, and haven't for a few years.

They've taken the heads off of Barbie dolls and held them close to a light bulb to melt them. That does work, btw.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

I wouldn't be concerned. My boys experimented with a few things when younger, and 10 was within that age range. I'd make your son do something nice for his brother for slapping him, though.

I have to say, your post made me laugh. My boys don't do stuff like that much anymore.

I have seen that "boy list" before. When we read it, my 16yo immediately wanted to try the clorox and brake fluid.

I think what your son did is typical boy behavior. I have four boys and it can get interesting.

The book Backyard Ballistics set my third son (mentioned above) on a path that led to a "bomb" he made and set off in our yard that shook our entire house.

He also took a dare from a brother and jumped off a cliff. When he came to, all he wanted to know was if his brother got in on video. :001_huh:

I only have girls, but it sounds pretty normal to me, even the slap.

My brother once tried to ride the cat. (Can't be done. Cat was OK.)

I put the egg in the microwave to see what would happen. (Bang! Oops, we need a new microwave. I really didn't know you weren't supposed to do that.)

My husband's older brother played "lion tamer" with his friend, using a pillow as a shield and a bicycle chain as a whip.

Sounds pretty normal to me too. He might not have thought out the slapping thing too well before he did it. My three boys often do thinks just to see what will happen.

I grew up around all girls so, I spent many a phone call to my husband when they were little talking about what they had done and what I should do. Most of the time he would tell me, "They are boys. That's what boys do." Seemed weird to me but they are growing up to be fine young men.

Asking the boys to talk to you before they try an "experiment" (like slapping) that might hurt someone is probably a good idea.

Cindy

Cindy