Menu

Epigenetics - whoa Nellie!

Okie dokey. Found this on the BBC this morning. It is a REALLY long article, and I would highly suggest reading it all of the way through, as it hits on many points. I am completely, utterly NOT interested in another evolution debate (we've only had about 18 billion of them on this board).

What struck me about this article are the parts below.

Three years ago, researchers led by a professor at the university of Linköping in Sweden created a henhouse that was specially designed to make its chicken occupants feel stressed. The lighting was manipulated to make the rhythms of night and day unpredictable, so the chickens lost track of when to eat or roost. Unsurprisingly, perhaps, they showed a significant decrease in their ability to learn how to find food hidden in a maze.

The surprising part is what happened next: the chickens were moved back to a non-stressful environment, where they conceived and hatched chicks who were raised without stress – and yet these chicks, too, demonstrated unexpectedly poor skills at finding food in a maze. They appeared to have inherited a problem that had been induced in their mothers through the environment. Further research established that the inherited change had altered the chicks' "gene expression" – the way certain genes are turned "on" or "off", bestowing any given animal with specific traits. The stress had affected the mother hens on a genetic level, and they had passed it on to their offspring.

The Swedish chicken study was one of several recent breakthroughs in the youthful field of epigenetics, which primarily studies the epigenome, the protective package of proteins around which genetic material – strands of DNA – is wrapped. The epigenome plays a crucial role in determining which genes actually express themselves in a creature's traits: in effect, it switches certain genes on or off, or turns them up or down in intensity. It isn't news that the environment can alter the epigenome; what's news is that those changes can be inherited. And this doesn't, of course, apply only to chickens: some of the most striking findings come from research involving humans.

One study, again from Sweden, looked at lifespans in Norrbotten, the country's northernmost province, where harvests are usually sparse but occasionally overflowing, meaning that, historically, children sometimes grew up with wildly varying food intake from one year to the next. A single period of extreme overeating in the midst of the usual short supply, researchers found, could cause a man's grandsons to die an average of 32 years earlier than if his childhood food intake had been steadier. Your own eating patterns, this implies, may affect your grandchildren's lifespans, years before your grandchildren – or even your children – are a twinkle in anybody's eye.

Alright - this bit is HUGE in the field that I research, which is mental health. There is an ongoing debate amongst psychologists and psychiatrists between what they call Axis I disorders (things like bipolar) and Axis II disorders (borderline personality disorder) that the former is genetic, but the latter is "acquired" - a sort of "broken personality" due to psychological trauma. But under the research above, they are BOTH genetic, if you know what I mean.

I can see ramifications for this in all sorts of things.

Yet epigenetics suggests this isn't the whole story. If what happens to you during your lifetime – living in a stress-inducing henhouse, say, or overeating in northern Sweden – can affect how your genes express themselves in future generations, the absolutely simple version of natural selection begins to look questionable. Rather than genes simply "offering up" a random smorgasbord of traits in each new generation, which then either prove suited or unsuited to the environment, it seems that the environment plays a role in creating those traits in future generations, if only in a short-term and reversible way.

[...]

"Today," notes David Shenk, "any high school student knows that genes are passed on unchanged from parent to child, and to the next generation and the next. Lifestyle cannot alter heredity. Except now it turns out that it can . . ."

This one caught my eye. We have a lot of discussions on this board in regards to food. And not just allergies/intolerances. We discuss trying different diets for our families for different reasons, be they ethical, financial, religious - whatever. I am curious what our chosen diets are doing to future progeny. What are the "what ifs?" What are the long term consequences of the myriad (especially very restrictive) diets that some of us follow?

And finally:

Among the arsenal of studies at Shenk's disposal is one published last year in the Journal of Neuroscience, involving mice bred to possess genetically inherited memory problems. As small recompense for having been bred to be scatterbrained, they were kept in an environment full of stimulating mouse fun: plenty of toys, exercise and attention. Key aspects of their memory skills were shown to improve, and crucially so did those of their offspring, even though the offspring had never experienced the stimulating environment, even as foetuses.

"If a geneticist had suggested as recently as the 1990s that a 12-year-old kid could improve the intellectual nimbleness of his or her future children by studying harder now," writes Shenk, "that scientist would have been laughed right out of the hall." Not so now.

I can't remember who it was, or even which thread (we've had a few gifted/I.Q. threads going lately), but someone mentioned the concept of a kid not just working hard AND being bright, but of a kid who worked hard to become brighter. eg: actively raising their IQ over time (it just so happens that time is generations). Apparently, that actually is the case.

I just found the entire concept fascinating and would like to read some "real" articles on the subject of epigenetics that are not interspersed with the dogma that this one was. If anyone knows of any, please let me know. (I looked at the two referenced at the bottom of the article but they were quite fluffy)

a

My (current) favorite nutrition blog, 180 degree health, is where I first learned of epigenetics, particularly as it relates to nutrition. But now I can't find a single post there about the subject, which is a shame since he typically references books and articles. I had the impression from reading the blog that it was considered a hot topic, but I can't find anything to validate that impression.

The only book I've read on the subject was fluff piled on fluff with side-helpings of fluff -- Genie in your Genes by Dawson Church. But it did have endnotes that might be worth exploring.

Interesting stuff, to be sure.

I had heard about this a long time ago and am convinced that the stress I was under while I was pregnant with my second son and during the time I breastfed him is partially responsible for his personality now (he was always afraid of being left alone and even now that he is almost 15 does not like to stay home alone).

I think the Howard Hughes Institute has been doing a lot of work with gene proteins the past few years, too. We gotten some free DVD's from them dealing with Circadian rhythms and other behaviors controlled by proteins. We just don't understand enough about the work of the different parts of genes yet to make definitive statements about what is nature vs. nurture, in my opinion. This is one reason I don't think we should be geneticall modifying plants and introducing them into the world to pollinate freely at this time in our history....

I find this topic fascinating Asta. I saw some shows on PBS about this very thing. It was talking about genetic code being affected by a famine that was generations back. They are working on ways to turn some of these genes off, so to speak. Sometimes identical twins will have the same genetic code, but their genes will be turned on or off due to their own life experiences.

I had heard about this a long time ago and am convinced that the stress I was under while I was pregnant with my second son and during the time I breastfed him is partially responsible for his personality now (he was always afraid of being left alone and even now that he is almost 15 does not like to stay home alone).

I think this is true too. My 2 children (I have 7) with which I was under stress during their pregnancies definitely have different, and more intense personalities than my other 5 who are much more laid back and secure.

sigh....

Faithe

This is also interesting in light of autism studies -- what if a gene is triggered by something environmental in one generation, and then is "on" for future generations, leading to increased incidence of autism in a family line over time?

I watched the NOVA special about this a few months ago, and by the end I was in tears for exactly the reason you mention: I was under an incredible amount of stress when I was pregnant with DS12, and he has major anxiety issues. It's like all those stress hormones while he was developing somehow switched his own biochemistry into permanent "high alert" mode. He's still very clingy & insecure at 12, and over-reacts to the smallest problems, even though there's no rational reason for it.

If only I had known then what I know now, I would have done so many things differently.... :(

Jackie

This same idea could work for all sorts of issues: Learning disabilities, mental health and emotional disturbances, even the effects of abuse.

Give a whole new meaning to mommy guilt doesn't it? Yikes. I don't think I want to read about this anymore (but I will...:tongue_smilie:).

This field is very interesting to me too. The epigenome project is gaining funding in this country too! Check out http://www.curetoday.org as this project may relate to cancer. It is amazing that what our parents and grandparents did may affect our kids and what we did even before our kids were a thought may affect our kids and grandkids. It really puts a bigger responsibility on us than we ever thought.

OK, so I don't *ever* want to live in an oppressive world. I'm having a total "Gattaca" moment. Could you imagine YOUR diet and lifestyle being dictated from birth so that your future children and grandchildren would be genetically equal or superior to you?

But I may be a bit paranoid. Which I now know may come from my mother having undiagnosed/untreated anxiety thanks to her father's death causing her major stress at the age of 17.

I'm not going to sleep much tonight, but thanks for the food for thought! I really appreciate it! It's been a while since anything's made my head spin properly. :)

We are teaching about this in our Bio classes in ps now. It is a very interesting field. So far, though, most have zoned in on the negative. There's also potential for a lot of positive (as was noted in some of the quotes). Bring up a child in inquisitiveness and learning now and it also can be passed on to future generations. One CAN break cycles though we know in real life that it is difficult. We also know that children of those who have broken cycles also tend to keep them broken.

And Asta, don't worry about creation/evolution. There's no scientist in either venue that I've seen that disagrees with any of this since no "critter" gets changed into a "different critter." It's a fascinating study.

This is one of my favorite subjects. :)

Great stuff to watch here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3411/02.html

Only book I read got a bit too metaphysical but the basic explanations were good and of course I don't remember the title or author. it wasn't "Genie In Your Genes." oh, Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Belief-Unleashing-Consciousness-Miracles/dp/1401923119/ref=pd_sim_b_4

I think a good chunk of the book is the author trying excuse himself from bad behaviour leading to his divorce, etc... but he's a scientist and is good at explaining the basics of epigenetics.

Great site brought to you by The Epigenome Network of Excellence, a european research network dedicated to supporting high calibre science in the rapidly expanding field of epigenetics:

http://epigenome.eu/en/2,48,875

Article partially related:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/microbes-r-us/

I find it to be very POSITIVE information, as in, there is a lot we can do to help ourselves just by eating right and reducing other environmental stressors. It's a very positive thing for me and refreshing that I am not absolutely destined by my genome but can help steer it through the epigenome.

Edited by Jill

OK, so I don't *ever* want to live in an oppressive world. I'm having a total "Gattaca" moment. Could you imagine YOUR diet and lifestyle being dictated from birth so that your future children and grandchildren would be genetically equal or superior to you?

Well, I think that IS happening now:

with GM foods pervasive in our diets, corn products pervasive in our diets, growth hormone in our dairy products, attempted mandates on vaccinations, and I would assume soon-to-be mandates on our health care, among a whole host of other things -

but, unfortunately, I'm afraid none of it is making us more genetically superior. It seems to be making us need more prescription drugs, since there's now not just a drug store on every corner, but sometimes competing drug stores on two to four corners of major intersections in my area of the world......

Perhaps the desire is to make us genetically dependent upon drug store products, LOL......

But I may be a bit paranoid. Which I now know may come from my mother having undiagnosed/untreated anxiety thanks to her father's death causing her major stress at the age of 17.

:lol:

I think the USDA already messed with us. We have been part of a big, loose, accidental experiment just because they basically prescribed a one-size-fits-all diet for everyone. fortunately they have stepped back on that somewhat. I ran my pyramid a while ago and it was MUCH more in line for me than the old one was.

For those that despair, check the epigenome.eu link in my previous post. or the "Tale of Two Mice" on the NOVA site. Your children can do a lot for themselves in their lifetime to take care of themselves and their issues. Coming from a genetic line laden with auto-immune disease, I feel empowered by this kind of info.

This is also interesting in light of autism studies -- what if a gene is triggered by something environmental in one generation, and then is "on" for future generations, leading to increased incidence of autism in a family line over time?

I was thinking about Autism too while I was reading it. It would be one explanation for the high rates of Autism we are seeing today. I and my brother both grew up in a very stressful home environment (as well as had the same diet) and my two kids have Autism and his first two kids have Autism too.