Menu

Movies your family likes (or hates)?

We've been doing something for months now where almost every Friday we make a pizza and watch a movie we got from the library. I talk about it (and some of our favorite choices) here.

What are some family movies you've enjoyed?

What are some good ones with physical humor? (my kids love that!)

Any more current movies you've enjoyed? (many of ours seem to be 70's movies, like The Apple Dumpling Gang)

Any that you've watched -- or considered watching -- that really bothered you, or seemed inappropriate, or that you thought your kids would like, but they didn't?

Thanks!

Jenny

We do the same thing:D We are big fans of Hayao Miyazaki. If your kids are on the younger side, save Princess Monoke and Spirited Away for later. They can be a little scary. We love My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Howl's Moving Castle. Ponyo is his most recent and is quite charming. The animation is wonderful.

We do older movies, too. I am a child of the 70s and remember loving The Bad News Bears so we watched it w/our oldest. BAD IDEA!! It was full of foul language and racial slurs (all part of the jokes) that I didn't remember at all.

We like Batteries Not Included (kind of slow though), Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Wizard of Oz, Return to Oz, Flight of the Navigator, and they love to watch older cartoons - Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Woody Woodpecker.

We are a movie loving family and we try to keep it clean:)

Recent movies: Hotel for Dogs, Beverly Hills Chihuahua, and Pistachio (Veggie Tales), Wall-E, The Last Mimzy, Nim's Island

Older ones: The Sound of Music (was a hit, dd5 sings "so long farewell" all day long :001_huh:), Chitty, Chitty, Bang Bang, The Secret Garden (read the book first), A Little Princess (read book first)

Edited by daisychics

We are big fans of Hayao Miyazaki. If your kids are on the younger side, save Princess Monoke and Spirited Away for later. They can be a little scary. We love My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Howl's Moving Castle. Ponyo is his most recent and is quite charming. The animation is wonderful.

We LOVE Miyazaki and have recently been re-watching several. I didn't know he had a new one; I'll have to look for it.

Couple of weeks ago we watched The Straight Story with Richard Farnsworth (Matthew in Anne of Green Gables). That was a wonderful movie. We like comedies, usually older ones so they're appropriate, such as It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, the old Pink Panther movies with Peter Sellers. Don Knotts and Tim Conway in The Private Eyes. The Great Race with Tony Curtis. Those are a few we've watched recently.

We also like Alfred Hitchcock movies (my twins are a little young yet) and older mysteries like Charade and Midnight Lace. We like movies like The Uninvited and The Spiral Staircase.

Since You Went Away, Imitation of Life we've watched in the last year. Also, anything with Audrey Hepburn or Cary Grant (that's for me).

I usually just go to the classics aisle and browse.

Masterpiece Theater's Pollyanna is excellent. It is stunningly beautiful to watch and really well acted. The girl who plays Pollyanna is Georgina Terry.

51YMVF68BXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You should also look for:

The Railway Children

51J3GAQCKYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

What Katy Did

51Nwv0sWgyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Carrie's War

51Z7F56PK9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Little Princess

41K68A2WSVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Secret Garden

614RtY1VRwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Black Beauty

71HN26EZMBL._SL500_AA300_.gif

The Princess Stallion

518UnS3hEXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Casablanca

League of Their Own

Field of Dreams

The Sandlot

Singing in the Rain

African Queen

The Sound of Music

Wizard of Oz

Sabrina

Around the World in 80 Days

Finding Nemo

The Secret of Roan Inish

Billy Elliot

About A Boy

Big

Rudy

Searching for Bobby Fisher

Enchanted

The Gods Must Be Crazy

All Star Wars movies

All Back to the Future movies

All Indian Jones movies

Harry Potter movies (some more than others)

The Santa Clause movies

Wall E

Shrek

Toy Story movies

We love old movies, so some of what we like might not appeal to kids who are not interested in black & white movies. I have listed some of them, but left out many awesome others.

Giulio Cesare - (Glyndebourne Opera Festival 2006)

Rameau - Les Indes Galantes

Singing in the Rain

Mary Poppins

Charlie Brown (anything)

Little House on the Prairie

Planet Earth

Space Station

Destiny in Space

Aliens of the Deep

The Princess Bride

Blue Planet

Jeremiah Johnson (some violence)