Menu

Yesterday, I was scolded at the library....

Yesterday, we dropped off a bunch of books and DVDs into the drop off chute. We then went to the children's section to "refill".

While perusing the stacks, a very smug looking man (looked EXACTLY like Ron Rifkin, baddie Arvin Sloane from Alias) came up to us and said while holding out a DVD box, "Ahem, excuse me, but did you drop THIS off just now?" (yes I replied...) "Well, take a look inside. It's empty. And I would APPRECIATE IT if next time, you would CHECK before you drop it off." He was TRULY miffed at us. Talk about Library Police...

:rolleyes:

Oh good grief.

Yesterday, we dropped off a bunch of books and DVDs into the drop off chute. We then went to the children's section to "refill".

While perusing the stacks, a very smug looking man (looked EXACTLY like Ron Rifkin, baddie Arvin Sloane from Alias) came up to us and said while holding out a DVD box, "Ahem, excuse me, but did you drop THIS off just now?" (yes I replied...) "Well, take a look inside. It's empty. And I would APPRECIATE IT if next time, you would CHECK before you drop it off." He was TRULY miffed at us. Talk about Library Police...

Oh good grief.

Good grief is right! It was an honest mistake.

We usually get a polite phone call asking us to bring in a missing disk, or pick up any extra disks of our own that we accidentally put in a library case. They just request that we do it as soon as we can if we've forgotten their material.

Edited by Crissy

Now see, I'd make a big show of bringing it back in. I'd open it directly in front of him, hand him the case, and ask him to please double check that I finally did include the disc and that it is the correct disc. And then I'd smile and tell him he's a superstar. I love the startled look I get sometimes from people who are wondering just what I mean by saying that. :tongue_smilie:

Could be worse. When you do that here, the librarians don't bother to mention it, and just consider the item not returned yet. So when you do realize, two weeks later, that you forgot to put the movie in the case when you returned it, you end up owing twenty bucks in fines. Happened to me twice so far. :glare:

We've had that happen, but they just called us and left a message. We got the message after getting back from Lunch and immediately returned the missing disc. My dh took it in and watched the librarian put it back in the case. I just wished he would have made sure she checked it back in before he came back out. About 3 months later I got a letter with a bill asking for $46 dollars to replace the missing disc. I called and luckily got a lady who was willing to double check the shelf and sure enough there it was.

I do that way too often. About the being miffed part - I don't know what makes people act like that. I left a cheapie salon just the other day (after the styist had already begun to cut ds' hair) because he didn't want me "in his space." I was totally out of the way, observing what he was doing because we hadn't used him and he was new (our girl had moved on apparently). Just rude behavior.

:lol: My librarian just laughs. I'm so forgetful, I think she's just happy to get the case :p.

Do we live in the same town? I am the same way and they always laugh when I do that! One day I checked to be sure the DVD was in it and though HA Now I have it all! Well, there was a DVD in it alright but they informed me it was the wrong one :blushing:

Do we live in the same town? I am the same way and they always laugh when I do that! One day I checked to be sure the DVD was in it and though HA Now I have it all! Well, there was a DVD in it alright but they informed me it was the wrong one :blushing:

:lol: I have done that!

I know my library has huge problems with this. There are signs at all the drop-offs and check-outs that customers are responsible for checking all discs before checking out or checking in.

I'm sure the library loses a lot of money when people don't return items complete. Yes, the man could have been nicer- but maybe your library has had a lot of inventory shrinkage lately and he was frustrated.

LOL:) Really, he just needs to chill! I mean, if they can't check it in, then it's YOU who starts accumulating fines, so why should it worry him? I have the most awesome library. Really. Everybody there is super nice!!

A few months ago, my SIL, her mother, and I took our gaggle of children (8 in all) to a different library that's closer. The two littlest ones were quietly looking at all the board books. And yeah, they were taking them out and making a pile! We had every intention of putting them all back and these were board books which were just in a child-height bin, NOT organized by the dewey decimal system!! Well, this older, cranky woman comes along and starts quietly putting them all back with this LOOK on her face. SIL's mom assures her that she doesn't need to worry about it, we'll take care of it. Well, it all went downhill from there. They kinda got into it and SIL's mom was just about ready to pack up the kids and walk right out!! SIL was hiding behind a rack of books, totally embarrassed, while I was wishing I was so brave and bold, like her mom!!!

Some people are just ornery! :D

I have done this several times at the library and video store. The video store would call and let us know we either bought an empty case or the wrong movie in the case. They are always polite about it.

The library would just call and let us know we bought an empty case. No yelling. Just laughed as if they have done it themselves as well. :001_smile:

I like the one posters idea of making a big show of returning the next DVD/VHS. :D

Holly

LOL:) Really, he just needs to chill! I mean, if they can't check it in, then it's YOU who starts accumulating fines, so why should it worry him? I have the most awesome library. Really. Everybody there is super nice!!

:D

OUr library do not fine me if I bought the case with no tape or dvd. They just give me a few days to bring it back as I live out of town.

Oh good grief.

Oh, Mr. Rifkin, would you autograph this for me! I just LOOOOOVE Alias! I was hoping you'd come out to meet us!

One day I checked to be sure the DVD was in it and though HA Now I have it all! Well, there was a DVD in it alright but they informed me it was the wrong one :blushing:

I did this at our local video store. I returned the DVDs on time (which in itself was a small miracle) and was quite happy with myself. The next afternoon I get a call saying I had turned in a case with the wrong DVD. I quickly went through all of the cases at home, located the wayward disc and took it to the store. Since the disc was officially late I was charged a late fee.