Menu

Stores with no-return policy make me so mad

My dd17 bought a sweater and a dress at a small clothing boutique at a mall. They didn't tell her about their no-return policy when she purchased them. When we tried to take the dress back today, they pointed out the sign next to the cash register and wouldn't refund her money. I stayed relatively calm, well almost, and asked if the employee could do anything to help me and she said no. She couldn't even take a complaint and told me I was the only customer she's had who complained. When I asked how I could file a formal complaint, she gave me a business card with a website URL. I pointed out there was no main phone number and she said she wasn't allowed to give that out. She told me I could send the complaint through the suggestion box on their website. I went onto the website and the number they have listed as their corporate office is that store I went to, the one who said they couldn't do anything to help me.

I filed the complaint through the unhelpful suggestion box, put it on yelp which is a review site, and filed a complaint through the Better Business Bureau. I felt I had to contact the BBB because the company wasn't making it easy to contact them.

The store employee took back the dress, gave me a store credit, and kept my original receipt. If I don't have the store credit receipt, they can't even acknowledge the credit. I can't figure out if this is legal scamming, a brilliant marketing ploy, or both. We shopped at this store to support local business but we should have gone to a large retailer. This is why I am leery of small business! I'm so mad! They have my dd17's $75 and her original receipt! That represents more than 11 hours of working for her. She's so discouraged. Good grief!

I'm sorry. That is maddening. Can she still wear the sweater and the dress? At least she would feel like the money wasn't a total waste even though there obviously was a reason why she wanted to return them.

No, they took the dress and gave her store credit. And they kept the original receipt too.

With smaller businesses, it's a matter of protection to have a no-refund policy. What is to keep the customer from wearing the dress and returning it just to do the same again and again? A small store cannot afford the scammers amoungst their customers either.

It was a brand new dress still with tags on. They didn't return the original receipt. And they wouldn't give me contact information other than a URL with a suggestion box. I suppose that's protecting themselves, but it sure sounds deceitful to me.

she gave me a business card with a website URL. I pointed out there was no main phone number and she said she wasn't allowed to give that out. She told me I could send the complaint through the suggestion box on their website. I went onto the website and the number they have listed as their corporate office is that store I went to, the one who said they couldn't do anything to help me.

Did they have their own domain name? Look it up.

How can I find out if that is true for this store?

You'd need to call the Attorney General to find out if there are state regulations on return policies. Most of the time stores can create any return policy they wish and they are covered as long as the policy is posted.

The store employee took back the dress, gave me a store credit, and kept my original receipt. If I don't have the store credit receipt, they can't even acknowledge the credit. I can't figure out if this is legal scamming, a brilliant marketing ploy, or both. We shopped at this store to support local business but we should have gone to a large retailer. This is why I am leery of small business! I'm so mad! They have my dd17's $75 and her original receipt! That represents more than 11 hours of working for her. She's so discouraged. Good grief!

I'm not really understanding what the problem is. The store had their no-return policy posted. No one lied about or misrepresented the policy. Even though they don't accept returns, they did indeed accept your return and gave you a store credit. Some stores issue store gift cards when something is returned. If you don't have the gift card, they don't acknowledge your credit. I don't mean to be snarky, but am I missing something other than the fact that your dd is sorry she's out $75? I don't think anything this store did is unusual.

Tara

I'm not really understanding what the problem is. The store had their no-return policy posted. No one lied about or misrepresented the policy. Even though they don't accept returns, they did indeed accept your return and gave you a store credit. Some stores issue store gift cards when something is returned. If you don't have the gift card, they don't acknowledge your credit. I don't mean to be snarky, but am I missing something other than the fact that your dd is sorry she's out $75? I don't think anything this store did is unusual.

Tara

:iagree:

Tara

With a policy clearly posted, I'm afraid you are most likely out of luck. I hope you got some sort of verification that they owe you a credit?

Tara

Did she not try on the dress before purchasing? Did she just decide she didn't want it? I think it is important to think about how much is spent on an item (and how many hours it took to earn that $) *before* purchasing.

Edited by Heidi @ Mt Hope

I am guessing that since she is 17 then she could not have put the items on a credit card, but if she did then dispute the charge. The store cannot keep the dress and the money.

We don't shop local much either due to return issues, and if we do shop local we always use a credit card to protect ourselves. I don't know if that would have helped in the original situation, but once they kept the dress and the money then the game changes.

I second calling the AG office and reporting them for keeping the money and the dress. The store may only have to give you the dress since their policy clearly states no returns, but at least you would have a nice present for a friend.

I don't mean to be snarky, but am I missing something other than the fact that your dd is sorry she's out $75? I don't think anything this store did is unusual.

Tara

Yes, it's our fault for not reading the sign that was on the other side of the only register in the store.

And I find it highly unusual that a store employee tells me I cannot have contact information for the corporate office because it's private. I suppose that in this day of technology, it's okay for businesses to only have an email contact. But it feels wrong. It's like buying something out of the trunk of a car.

Posted or not, they did not tell my daughter about the policy and I feel they should have because it's not a common thing for us to see. I honestly have never seen that policy applied to anything other than underwear and bathing suits. And I do consider that purposefully not telling customers is withholding information.

But hey, our loss, their gain. I'm not slandering their business, just telling the facts. My dd and I are angry and we have the right to be, just like they have the right to make their policies. Maybe my complaint will be heard and taken seriously. If not, then I'll be just another laugh on their books.

From a business point of view, I can see why they need to do that. From a customer point of view, it sucks. I simply cannot financially afford to support businesses with policies like that. And we're sharing that information with other people in case they can't financially afford to do that either. We should be selective in the dollars we spend. We're talking about a garment, not a plate of food that has been eaten and cannot be sold to another customer.