Menu

Can a K do CLE Math 100?

pocjets

That greatly depends on the child ... CLE math 100 is made for a student with no prior teaching, however it is a 1st gr. level and once you get into it a bit moves kinda quickly.

Also since the math facts are introduced one at a time (not in families/houses/sets/whatever ya wanna call um) it ended up being a problem with my 2nd ds.

What I did was put him into R&S math for 1st grade, they move more slowly and the facts are learned in houses ( ie 0+1 / 1+0 being the 1 house etc ) This has helped him greatly in learning facts.

My eldest also used R&S 1st grade, then we found CLE when he was about 1/2 way through the 2nd book of that and he went into CLE at 106 and has done great with it since.

If your child can write numbers, and grasp facts and concepts quickly then CLE should work fine, otherwise I would suggest looking at R&S at least for 1st.

Hope it works well for you, whatever you decide :)

~Rachel

OP, I'm so glad you asked this. My dd is in CLE 3 about to start 4 and I really like it. But my son starting K in Fall won't be ready. If both CLE 1 and R&S 1 are best left for 1st grade, what to do for K? I've looked at Horizons...is that a good one? I'm just so lost. Too. many. choices!!!

My dd is using CLE 100's. They start slow but are very much first grade. You could probably spread them over 2 years though. Maybe do the first three LU's for K? I am debating what to do for my ds K year too. He is doing Essential Math A right now so I will continue with B next year but I doubt it will last all year. Sorry, not much help just thinking out loud.

I'm so glad you asked this question!! I've been toying with starting my son with it next fall for K, too! We only school 4 days a week (take Fridays off - yea!!), and he'll still be able to go to BSF w/my MIL on Wednesdays, so ... I am thinking we'll start in the fall and just do three days a week (M, T, Th). We'll slow down if/when we need to. That's my plan ... for now. ;)

I used CLE 100 for K this year...but I only used books 1-4. I will use books 5-10 next year for 1rst grade. That said...we do 3 lessons a week. On the days we do not do the lesson, we review what he has learned, do flashcards, play some games, read living math books etc. The "off" days have been very good for him. He LOVES speed drills! He has learned all the facts so that have been [resented so far and there is no pressure to hurry up and get it done. Some days, i do the writing in his workbook because it can be too much. We also use lots of manipulatives, counters etc. to make the lessons interesting to my wiggly boy.

I think he will have no problem upping to 4 days a week of math next year and then 5 days a week for 2nd grade.

Oh, we used R&S pre-school books at the very beginning of this year (July & August) to give him a good foundation and a chance to learn how to sit and "do school."

HTH,

Faithe

I used CLE 100 for K this year...but I only used books 1-4. I will use books 5-10 next year for 1rst grade. That said...we do 3 lessons a week. On the days we do not do the lesson, we review what he has learned, do flashcards, play some games, read living math books etc. The "off" days have been very good for him. He LOVES speed drills! He has learned all the facts so that have been [resented so far and there is no pressure to hurry up and get it done. Some days, i do the writing in his workbook because it can be too much. We also use lots of manipulatives, counters etc. to make the lessons interesting to my wiggly boy.

I think he will have no problem upping to 4 days a week of math next year and then 5 days a week for 2nd grade.

Oh, we used R&S pre-school books at the very beginning of this year (July & August) to give him a good foundation and a chance to learn how to sit and "do school."

HTH,

Faithe

What a great idea!! I used Horizons K for my son last year. Book 1 was ok and then it gets very tough with not a lot of sense to it - just my opinion! :>) I went to CLE 100 as I read it started slow. It does and would be great to do it the way Faithe is saying for your K.

We started about this time last year and are almost done with 110 now. I was going to start 200 really slow - I think I will do it more this way. The lessons are getting longer. I dropped the speed drills because there is already plenty of fact practice in the lesson and flash cards. But this looks like such a great idea. We have used most of 300, 400 and 500 too - LOVE, LOVE CLE Math!!!! EXCELLENT--gentle, yet solid/rigorous Math program...very, very complete and easy to implement also!

I have been looking at CLE 100 for DD next year in 1st and honestly I think it would be advanced for K. I know my DD would not have been able to do CLE 100 at the beginning of K. We have almost completed RSM A now and I think she could do the first 3 units of CLE quickly with her knowledge learned so far, but it would have been hard to go straight to CLE in K.

Edited by Melenie

My 5 year old is starting his Kindergarten-level work now, and I have him doing Singapore Earlybird Math right now. I want him to be age 6 (or close to it) before starting CLE 1st. I have children in CLE 1st and 2nd right now, and it's advanced enough that I don't want to rush into it with my 5 year old (like another poster said, even though it starts off easy, it does move along pretty quickly). The Singapore math is colorful and fun, so it's great for Kindergarten. There's plenty of time to do the flashcards and speed drills of CLE later!

I think it would be best to wait for first grade. I'd hate to burn a k'er out on the program when they're really not ready for it.

I would use the blackline masters from Rod and Staff 1. They are super good, you get tons of pages (300 or so if I recall). They cover writing numbers, skip counting in fun ways (sometimes connect the dot, sometimes writing), counting money, telling time, addition facts, subtraction facts, patterns. You can stay on one topic for a while or skip around in different areas which I think is perfect for K. You can do one page or multiple pages in a day. They are also cheap!

My twins did but they had already completed the Singapore Early Bird books( all 4 of them) and the first book of Horizon math K.. They started with CLE 104 and took about 20- 3o minutes a day to do including the drills which they loved. In 3rd grade now, they are just starting CLE 407. We do math over the summer..

My DD4.5 is doing Horizons K right now, she is on lesson 18 or so and doing pretty well. I would recommend starting with this as we really like it because its more than just learning shapes and to count like so many other K math curriculums. I plan to buy CLE 100s over the summer and start alternating the two in the fall. Horizons seems a little advanced, so I think this will help slow down both curriculums. Kinda just planning to use them together however it works out and then decide which I wanna continue with, Probably CLE.:tongue_smilie:

I would not recommend CLE Math 1 for any 5yo child.

:iagree: We love CLE here-have done levels 1-3 and just starting 4 with older dd; will start 2 with ds7 in the fall.

Unless you plan to do something like mommyfaithe's awesome plan, I wouldn't recommend CLE that young. It is a wonderful program but will fit best used at the target age.