Menu

Ok, let me start by saying that I am pretty nervous about asking this question here, for fear I will inadvertently start some debate. So feel free to let me know if I'm crossing some politically correct line, but, um... please be gentle. :)

I would like to read through the Christian Bible. I am not Christian (though I most certainly have a reverence for Christ) and therefore am not looking at this endeavor from the perspective of looking for Truth. (I am content with my own understanding of Truth, and doubt that will change.)

I have been looking at samples of different translations at BibleGateway.com, and there are so many options to choose from. I think, at this point, I prefer the New Living Translation (I am considering this copy in particular), but it is very different from the King James Version I most often see recommended, which has me wondering if I'll be missing out by going in one direction vs. another.

So, on to the questions...

Is there a standard Bible translation for each branch of Christianity, i.e. Catholics prefer X version and the LDS use Y version and... ? Is the NLT linked to a particular Christian philosophy?

From a purely scholarly perspective, are there particular translations that are seen to be more true to the original than others? Are there any that are considered especially 'bad' translations? (I understand this is probably a touchy question... please feel free to PM me if you have a thought on this that can't be worded in a way that avoids debate.)

Is there anything else that should be considered other than the version (is that the right word?) of the translation? I.e. tips for choosing a good, easy to read Bible?

Specific recommendations are very welcome. :)

There is one that is denomination specific, the one used by the Jehovah Witnesses. The Catholic's have a couple of translations, I believe...main difference between the bibles that Catholics and Orthodox use is that they contain the Deuterocanonicals (what the Protestants call the Apocrypha). Those are missing from most Protestant bibles (unless you have a print of a Protestant bible from 1560 or before...Geneva 1560 for example).

I would strongly suggest staying away from paraphases and translations that are similar (The Living Bible, The Message, NIV). Though there are many that really like them and use them, they have been the source of controversy.

The Geneva, the KJV, the NKJV, the NASB, and the ESV are more of your "standard" accepted (unless you are a KJV-Only person, then they tend to chuck anything before and anything after).

Honestly, I'd shoot for a Catholic, Orthodox study bible, or the Geneva 1560 because it does include the Deuterocanonicals. They are just as interesting to read :) So you would be getting the most books for the amount you spent. Also they have the test of time behind them ;)

As the board encompasses wildly diverse membership, the temptation to "debate" will prove too difficult for some to avoid. That will not be your fault for having asked a good question ! :)

In general, I would avoid a "sectarian" version. There are religious groups which have rewritten the Bible to demonstrate their own theological beliefs. Protocol prohibits me from saying what any of these are.

[This next is, actually, my most important paragraph.] In the same vein, I would buy a Bible without any footnotes or "study aids". The "supplements" will be sectarian, reflecting the interpretations supported by the particular group who wrote them. Reading them will "colour" all subsequent reading of the Bible for you and will influence you, even unconsciously, toward some denomination or other group. For your purposes, I suggest reading the unadorned Biblical text. Let the text, itself, "communicate" with you." Should you want to explore the Bible with deeper understanding afterward, it will be worth your time to decide first whether you want to examine the holy texts using Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, or some other belief system. Then select a Biblical commentary.

In general, I would avoid an English-language Bible which is written in "relaxed", or simplified English. These Bibles are paraphrases, rather than translations. The texts are, accordingly, distorted from the original, sometimes badly so. The King James version is beloved by many, but you need not begin with it.

You ask about "scholarly perspective". Anything observed with "academic eyeglasses" spawns debate. There are excellent books on Biblical textual study available. All are written to support a particular religious viewpoint, just as are commentaries.

This reply is as "non-debate oriented" as I'm capable of.

Regards,

O-6

Ok, let me start by saying that I am pretty nervous about asking this question here, for fear I will inadvertently start some debate. So feel free to let me know if I'm crossing some politically correct line, but, um... please be gentle. :)

I would like to read through the Christian Bible. I am not Christian (though I most certainly have a reverence for Christ) and therefore am not looking at this endeavor from the perspective of looking for Truth. (I am content with my own understanding of Truth, and doubt that will change.)

I have been looking at samples of different translations at BibleGateway.com, and there are so many options to choose from. I think, at this point, I prefer the New Living Translation (I am considering this copy in particular), but it is very different from the King James Version I most often see recommended, which has me wondering if I'll be missing out by going in one direction vs. another.

Is there a standard Bible translation for each branch of Christianity, i.e. Catholics prefer X version and the LDS use Y version and... ? Is the NLT linked to a particular Christian philosophy?

From a purely scholarly perspective, are there particular translations that are seen to be more true to the original than others? Are there any that are considered especially 'bad' translations? (I understand this is probably a touchy question... please feel free to PM me if you have a thought on this that can't be worded in a way that avoids debate.)

Is there anything else that should be considered other than the version (is that the right word?) of the translation? I.e. tips for choosing a good, easy to read Bible?

I've heard that the NLT is very readable; someone gave us a copy of the NLT a couple of years ago, and my husband will read it from time to time.

I personally prefer the New International Version (NIV) or the New American Standard (NAS), both of which are fairly accurate. They are both very readable as well, and much easier to understand. Both of them used translators from a wide variety of Christian denominations, to keep the translations free from certain doctrinal biases. In my opinion, the most accurate versions of the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, would be in the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. All versions will contain different wording, but I personally don't believe that the NIV or NAS or KJV or other standard versions would be so far off track as to skew the original intent of Scripture.

Some people prefer the KJV for the beauty and literary quality of its translation. There are also some who exclusively use KJV; that is their preference. However, I'm of the opinion that the KJV was translated in the early 1600s, long before the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered, so I personally don't consider it the most accurate translation (and would prefer not to debate that point :D ).

I believe Catholics use the Douay-Rheims version; I'm not certain if Orthodox Christians have another translation or not.

HTH!

:iagree:with staying away from a paraphrase for what you are doing.

As far as a study Bible goes the NASB has lots of study notes and language information (and I believe is considered by many Bible scholars to be true to the intent of the original langauges). I have really learned a lot more about the history and culture of the times by using it.

You would be missing the Apocrypha with the NASB and that is interesting reading as well.

Hi Melanie,

Here is a link that compares some of the most popular bible translations:

http://www.allabouttruth.org/best-bible-translation-faq.htm

From my own personal experience...

As a new Christian almost 20 years ago, I began reading the NIV because I was not used to King James English. A few years ago, I put aside the NIV and switched to New King James and last year switched to only the KJV. I love the KJV because of the way it is written. I may be nuts but as my son and I study logic, I am beginning to see how Paul structured his arguments. I notice this more in the KJV text than the NIV.

I would, however, not recommend the NLT. :tongue_smilie: Not worth reading. Waters down too much of what was originally written and from what I've seen actually distorts some of the original as well.

Hope this helps,

is a great translation. It is a word for word translation and very straight forward. The King James is beautiful and poetic but maybe not as approachable from a scholarly point of view.

The difference between Catholic and Protestant Bibles has to do with the canonization (approval as inspired scripture) of the books of the Old and New Testaments. The Catholic church recognizes a set of books as scripture that the Protestant Reformers did not. Otherwise, as far as translation, the King James is very common.

The New Living Translation is a very comfortable read.

There are differences between translations and paraphrases. Paraphrases are versions of the Bible that are often completed by one person or a small board of individuals but not necessarily people with significant accomplishments in linguistics or experts in Ancient Aramaic, Hebrew, Arabic, and Greek. Translations are done by large boards of linguists who are recongnized within their profession for their extensive knowledge of the ancient forms of these languages as well their evolution into modern forms along with the expertise in the modern language they are translating into. Therefore, from a purely language perspective, the integrity of grammar, syntax, etc. is very, very high. Paraphrases usually do not meet this rigorous standard but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be read or won't be of value to the reader or that they are "really inaccurate" in terms of theology.

The most commonly used translations are the King James, New King James, Revised Standard, and New American Standard. The King James and New King James are revered for their beauty and this is especially apparent with the books of poetry - Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, and Lamentations. I prefer to read these books in the good ole King James. I prefer the New American Standard for scholarship.

The New International Version and New Living Translations would probably be fine for your purposes.

The Message is a really obvious paraphrase, somewhat controversial, and while popular with some, is a great read but probably not the best for pure scholarship. Many people use The Message alongside a translation for comparison purposes. Again, not disparaging the paraphrase, but just informing you that for a first time explorer, this would probably not be the best choice. This is a better one for someone who has read several other versions first.

Ultimately, just pick one you like, paraphrase or translation, it probably doesn't matter.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Faith

I believe Catholics use the Douay-Rheims version; I'm not certain if Orthodox Christians have another translation or not.

HTH!

Orthodox accept the Septuagint Old Testament as authoritative, rather than other versions.

There is a so-labeled "Orthodox Study Bible"; however, I don't recommend its use. (It won't harm anybody; rather, I read the negative criticisms of the book and was persuaded to pass.) (We have a couple, received as gifts.)

I'll continue voting for "text alone" as best for OP at this initial stage of her exploration !

:iagree:with staying away from a paraphrase for what you are doing.

As far as a study Bible goes the NASB has lots of study notes and language information (and I believe is considered by many Bible scholars to be true to the intent of the original langauges). I have really learned a lot more about the history and culture of the times by using it.

You would be missing the Apocrypha with the NASB and that is interesting reading as well.

:iagree:

This chart might help you decide which to read: http://www.biblica.com/bibles/translations/

The New International Reader's Version is a good easy-to-read Bible. It is the easiest to read that I have seen. It is based on the New International Version. It is supposed to be on a 3rd grade reading level. It seems harder, though. I guess because the contect is deep and mature. It isn't like a Magic Treehouse book or something.

The New International Version is a harder to read than the NIrV. I believe the NIV is an English translation of old Greek and Hebrew texts. It was written recently, so it uses the kind of language we use today.

The King James Version is an English translation of Latin translations of books of the Bible. It was written long ago and uses some words the average person doesn't know. Critics may say it is too hard to read and not the best translation. The language of the KJV is more poetic and beautiful than the other Bibles. This used to be the only Bible written in English, so everybody used it and memorized from it. It has the passages written exactly the way "everybody" knows them. It uses phrases like, "be fruitful and multiply" and "a land flowing with milk and honey." The Lord's Prayer and Pslam 23 just don't sound "right" in other versions. If you are reading the Bible to be more scholarly, and be able to see it's influence in history and "get" refrences to the Bible the KJV is the best.

Orthodox accept the Septuagint Old Testament as authoritative, rather than other versions.

There is a so-labeled "Orthodox Study Bible"; however, I don't recommend its use. (It won't harm anybody; rather, I read the negative criticisms of the book and was persuaded to pass.) (We have a couple, received as gifts.)

I'll continue voting for "text alone" as best for OP at this initial stage of her exploration !

Curious, what Orthodox bible do you use then? The OSB is the only Orthodox bible I've been able to find :confused:

Bibles are translated from the Hebrew/Greek as:

~word for word

~thought for thought

~and, I just forget the other :confused:

You can have a "literal" translation from the Hebrew and because of language style of culture and time it may not "read" like today. The thought for thought takes a phrase and instead of each and every word, the thought/phrase is translated. I like both and have both. I have the David Stern New Complete Jewish Bible. I wanted a Bible that was as close to an exact exchange of words as possible. Howeve, the phrase for phrase may also make more sense because it is a phrase. This is very hard to explain. Lifeway bookstores are great resources for questions and purchasing.

Yes, the original KJV is a standard. Many people find the KJV difficult...but it is pure. The NKJV/New King James Version is the same except with 50 or so "updated" words from the regular KJV.

Sorry if this is confusing. I encourage you to pursue this and even get in touch with organizations that may have helped to translate into different languages and/or have experience with the different translations. Sheryl <><

I just wanted to congratulate you on your curiosity. I, a deist at most, have collected at least 4 different versions and every now and then really find it interesting to look up passages and think about why different words were chosen. I would vote for a Catholic Bible as well, for the extra books included which are, as others have mentioned, interesting reading. Add in commentary from several different faiths and it is a real eye opener. Remember to check out Thomas Jefferson's edited version of the Bible -- it was an interesting read as well.

Best wishes!

Yes, there some differences in Bibles that different denominations use.

American Catholics tend to favor the New American Bible. The Catholic Bibles has more books in it than the Protestant Bibles.

I don't know. Reputable Bible printers will get as close as possible to the original meaning. But even then there are differences. I had a conversation not too long ago here where a woman quoted a specific verse from her Bible. What her Bible said and what my Bible said certainly could have meant the same thing, but the wording was different and two different meanings could be had.

I *think* most Protestants prefer the King James Version. It is written in the English of the time of King James. I, personally, find it difficult to understand.

For a good easy to read Catholic bible I'd get the New American Bible.

You'll have some recommendations for good Protestant Bibles from someone who knows so I won't even attempt.

Wow, I've been thinking about asking this same question, thanks for posting your question and thanks for everyone giving such great answers!

I think I attempted to read a Catholic bible all the way through when I was in in high school, I think it's time to read it again. For me, it would be for bible as literature, see its influence in history, and maybe learn some new words along the way. I don't want it to be too simple to read, like for a 3rd grader, but I don't want it to be too difficult that I end up not reading it. Great responses and lots to think about!

I know the King James is a very hard version to read but I totally LOVE my Key Word Study Bible.

I'm sure you can find it cheaper somewhere else but you can peek inside via the amazon.com link.

I love it because there are words underlined in the verses and you can refer to the back of the book to see what the word was in Hebrew or Greek. And if the reference number next to the word is bold, then it goes in depth with the meaning of that particular word in the back of the book.

It also came with a little card to tell you exactly how the word was used (ie. a noun, adjective, verb).

It also provides lots of cross references (a must for me) and a little intro into each book of the Bible. It also has footnotes.

I can't say enough great things about this Bible!!

ETA: Ahhhhhhhhh! I just saw it was out of print!!! I bet you can still find it at Christian Bookstores perhaps.

I use two Bibles for study. First, I use the New Oxford Annotated Bible because it is considered one of the most scholarly, it is updated as new information and understandings are available. It's a non-denominational study Bible that contains a lot of background information, which is good for non-Christians (Jewish history, geography, etc). It's the Bible typically used in "Bible as Literature" classes at universities. Some editions contain the apocryphal books used by Roman Catholics, Anglicans, Episcopalians and Orthodox/Slavonic Catholics (mine does). It includes a lot of information on the question of authorship of various parts and looks at many books/chapters with a modern literary criticism eye, those two things make it disliked by a lot of fundamentalists. Some fundamentalists also apparently don't like the gender neutral language in some parts but this is *accurate*, according to Greek and Hebrew scholars that I know.

I also have a Zondervan NIV Study Bible. It also contains a lot of the history, geography, cultural information but has more a of typical Christian leaning on interpretations, etc.

A Bible concordance (Strong's is one of the most common) and Bible atlas might be really good ideas as well.

Edited by Mrs Mungo
typos, GAHHH!

It's a big book. Pick one that you enjoy reading. :)

Being Catholic, I read Catholic ones. But we're listening to one on CD's that isn't Catholic and I'm really enjoying that one too.

ETA: I'll second Chucki's suggestion of the The New American Bible. We have the St. Joseph edition and it's great not only because it's easy to read,

but it gives a lot of helpful information in the footnotes. I find it especially helpful when reading the Old Testament.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I use two Bibles for study. First, I use the New Oxford Annotated Bible because it is considered one of the most scholarly...

:iagree: This is a great Bible if you want scholarly (non-fundamentalist) commentary and background.

The "New Jerusalem Bible" is a very nice choice for "reading" as the language really shines. It has both an appropriate sophistication of word-choice and is clear to the modern reader. It is a "Catholic" Bible.

Barry Moser's illustrated KJV is a wonderful (artful) edition. Beautiful typography and page lay-out, and printed with large type on good paper so you don't get the eye-strain that comes with trying to read onion-skin.

Bill

I haven't read all the replies yet, I am looking forward to seeing what other people say. I used the NIV one year when I read through the Bible in a year, the NIV is very readable and has a nice cadence.

I am currently using the NASB for a demanding weekly Bible study. The NASB strikes me as more 'scholarly' than the NIV but I would recommend either translation.

[This next is, actually, my most important paragraph.] In the same vein, I would buy a Bible without any footnotes or "study aids". The "supplements" will be sectarian, reflecting the interpretations supported by the particular group who wrote them. Reading them will "colour" all subsequent reading of the Bible for you and will influence you, even unconsciously, toward some denomination or other group. For your purposes, I suggest reading the unadorned Biblical text. Let the text, itself, "communicate" with you."

Should you want to explore the Bible with deeper understanding afterward, it will be worth your time to decide first whether you want to examine the holy texts using Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, or some other belief system. Then select a Biblical commentary.

O-6

:iagree::iagree::iagree: The first time I did a read through (cover to cover) I did not use notes/studies/commentaries I read the NIV and just let it flow like a history/story. I am now going through again using the NASB and a commentary review after reading the text which I am studying.

If you are looking to read the Bible for it's "beauty" then I would go with the KJV, which when you read things like Shakespeare, will most closely align.

After that... New King James Version(NKJV)... is just slightly different. New American Standard Bible(NASB), English Standard Version (ESV) least on the literary line would be one of the NIVs... or paraphrase ones... which lose a majority of the Bible with their "conversation style".

"Version" in the name... would be like "NIV"

"Translation" in the name would be with it translated as close to possible to the original.

:-)

If you want a word-for-word or wooden translation, then go with NASB or ESV. If you want a thought-for-thought, then go for NIV. If you want beauty of historical language, you can't beat KJV, but the language can be cumbersome. I agree with the poster who said that there is much to be gained from reading a Bible without any commentary. I used a NASB when I read through the Bible several years ago. However there is so much that is impossible to understand without an explanation such as the tabernacle structure, the system of sacrifices, etc., spelled out in Leviticus. I have an ESV Study Bible now and am using it to read through the Bible chronologically. I do appreciate the study notes. HTH!

I personally prefer the New International Version (NIV) or the New American Standard (NAS), both of which are fairly accurate. They are both very readable as well, and much easier to understand. Both of them used translators from a wide variety of Christian denominations, to keep the translations free from certain doctrinal biases.

... Some people prefer the KJV for the beauty and literary quality of its translation. There are also some who exclusively use KJV; that is their preference. However, I'm of the opinion that the KJV was translated in the early 1600s, long before the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered, so I personally don't consider it the most accurate translation (and would prefer not to debate that point :D ).

I would strongly suggest staying away from paraphases... (The Living Bible, The Message...)

My dh (a Southern Baptist minister) really likes the Holman Christian Standard Bible (CSB). He has come to prefer it to the NIV. For his own personal study, he uses both the KJV and the CSB. Another Bible you might enjoy is the Contemporary English Version (CEV); it is often recommended for people who are first-time Bible readers.

Edited by ereks mom

Melanie,

I think most Bible translations are for the public. Most people I know use several different translations just because you can get more insight and better cross reference with a few translations. I'm partial to the NWT (New World Translation) is because it's easy to read and has God's name each time it showed in the original language. After that, I prefer the KJV because it has a beautiful way of putting certain things and has God's name left in a few times. A friend of mine REALLY likes the New Living Translation.

BUT it most certainly is possible to learn the truth about God, his purpose, his standards, etc from almost ANY copy of the Bible (I used to say any, but have since heard of some that are obnoxious about being PC and such). And according to experts, ALL translations have some errors.

This book goes through the criticisms of several translations. http://www.amazon.com/Truth-Translation-Accuracy-Translations-Testament/dp/0761825568 In the end, he decided the NWT is the closest to the original languages, but had some criticisms of it also. I wonder if he'll ever write a translation.....

HTHs a little,