Menu

Important decision time

Guest Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

If you had 3 boys ages 14, 9, and 3, and could get summer passes to a popular water park OR very nice theme/amusement park, and you lived close enough to visit at least once a week, but you could not do both, which would you choose?

We are at a stalemate here.

ooh. That's a tough one. My initial thought was to go with the theme/amusement park because I know how difficult it can be to have 3 kids in the water at one time. It can get stressful trying to keep any eye on them all. Your kids are older so that isn't as much of an issue, but still... a 3yo in a pool is busy work for mom! I also find it a lot of working getting kids in/out of a pool but... mine are girls and have long hair to deal with.

As for the theme/amusement park... are there enough rides that all 3 boys can go on? Will one of them feel left out if there are only 2 kids allowed on per ride? Will you be going on rides with them? If one of the boys will tend to be "left out" or will have to wait his turn to go on rides, then you'd be better off with getting water park passes.

Hmmm. I guess that wasn't a very decisive answer, was it? :001_huh: sorry.

I would probably choose the water park since it would involve more physical activity for the boys. Theme/amusement parks tend to get boring after you've been on every ride a dozen times. Also, water parks feel better on hot days than amusement parks.

Is there disagreement among the boys? I would probably give a little more weight to the 14yo's opinion if he can state a good case for it.

2 thoughts: 1st, where do their friends go?, 2nd, depending on where you live, is the amusement park open longer than the water park? (Our amusement park is already open on weekends, I beleive, and also (at one time, anyway) had a halloween and winter thing, so that would be a couple more trips out of it.

Good Luck!!

LOL, we've been trying to decide between Schlitterbahn and 6 flags, here.

I think, *only because* we have a 3 year old among the ranks, we're going to wait on the water park until next year when she can swim. (We can choose to wait).

If that weren't the case, Water Park hands down!

As it is, I think we're using some free passes for Six Flags this year and forgo a membership anywhere until next year. :)

Water Park. We have had passes to Busch Gardens and Adventure Island-Water Park for the past few years and to be honest, during the hot summer we rarely went to BG,but we went to the Water Park at least once a week. IT's hot and miserable in the heat of summer to walk around the theme parks.

If the theme park were Disneyland, it would be a no-brainer:D

As someone who sunburns easily, the waterpark would give me pause.

I wonder if 6 Flags is similar to Great America in San Jose? Parents there use it as childcare during the summer months; there are great gangs of unaccompanied, unsupervised children there all day long. It isn't that they are unruly (as far as I can tell); it's just the thought of great gangs of unaccompanied, unsupervised children there all day long. Not really the kind of environment I want my dc to think of as "normal," KWIM?

I guess I'd go with the waterpark. Unless the theme park were Disneyland (or Disney World).:D

If you had 3 boys ages 14, 9, and 3, and could get summer passes to a popular water park OR very nice theme/amusement park, and you lived close enough to visit at least once a week, but you could not do both, which would you choose?

We are at a stalemate here.

Water. I think that regular(weekly or more) repetitive unnatural force from riding on some of those rides cannot possibly be good for growing bodies and brain tissue. JMO. (And I know it's not really an issue for the 3 y/o, lol.)

and usually go between 10-15 times per year. We live ten minutes away, so I just drop them off at the gate, they call me when they are ready to come home.

Six Flags also owns Hurricane Harbor, a water park, right next to Magic Mountain, and the MM season pass gives a few free entrances to the water park. So we get both for the price of one!

My guys are hardcore roller coaster junkies, so they never get tired of MM. The water park is also fun, but it's so hot in the sun, the pavement is scalding, you get a rowdy sunburn while waiting in line, and it's just generally more of an ordeal to go there.

But ultimately, where do they want to go? Where do their friends go?

Michelle T

Guest Virginia Dawn
I take back what I said (which would be get the Fun pass to BG and season pass to WC). If I had to choose one passed on last year's attendance I would go with the Amusement park.

Said as someone who makes the decision every year.

What would be your reasons for that choice?

Thanks

I'm trying to decide between the huge water park where we would have resident discounts and it's less than 10 min. from home and the smaller pool the next suburb over where we do lessons, which also has a couple of smaller slides and a nice play area, but costs 80$ more for our passes. I have three under 7 and really lean toward the manageability of the smaller pool, even though it's more expensive and a little bit farther. The water park does have some very child-friendly areas, but I'm sure it will be so much more crowded and I won't be able to let ds go on the huge slides at all since we won't have dh along most of the time and I have to stay with dds. I don't want to mess with a backyard pool at all this year, I'd rather just find the money and leave the water mess at the pool a few times a week.

In your case Dawn, our family would probably vote water park over amusement park in the summertime. My kids are water nuts!

Amusement Park.

My three year old doesn't swim well enough for me to relax when he is near water. I would be a nervous wreck at a Water Park.

(We live in Phoenix, Arizona. There are several water parks nearby. I have never taken the kids because it just plain wouldn't be fun for me. I can't relax if I am constantly worried about somebody drowning.)

What would be your reasons for that choice?

Thanks

I love both those parks equally. For some strange reason I can always find more to do at said amusement park than say at the water park. Last year there were not that many people at the amusement park either (I live down the road), but everyone and their 5th cousin were at the water park.

I think amusement parks are fun to visit about once a summer, but I would definitely get tired of going every week. I understand some posters' concern about a three year old who might not be able to swim well, but my experience with water parks is that there is usually an area designed for small children. We are *vigilant* when it comes to safety, and we have still managed to enjoy water parks with small children. I would choose the water park for the physical activity benefits, the cool-off factor for hot summer days, and the fun factor.