Menu

Conservative Christians: Fairy Tales?

Prose

I am just starting out homeschooling and getting ready for REAL school next year. I plan to follow a lot of WTM and combine some of Ambleside. I am buying some books, and looking for what I should get. I keep going over the Ambleside year 1 list and looking at the fairy tale section, specifically the Blue Fairy Book. We haven't read anything like that yet with the kids. I know some of them are very gory, but I have read through the info that suggests that it's ok because it teaches morals and you can skip the yucky stuff, but I can't sort out how I feel about it. Any opinions? Any Christians that don't do the fairy tales? Or don't do Andrew Lang fairy tales? Any Christians love the fairy tales and see their value? I would love to hear both sides. Thank you!

We love the Lang fairy tale books in our house, and they aren't gory to us. Some kids are more sensitive than others. They're available to read free online, or they'll definitely be at your local library. That way you can preview them for yourself. The sentence structure and writing style in them is fabulous, developing attention span, etc. I think they're a don't miss of childhood, but that's just me. :)

We do fairy tales, but benign ones if that makes sense. My dd is very sensitive, God made her that way, so we honour that. No witches unless they're funny looking (not scary) and nothing "evil" (vampires, zombies, etc.) There's a big grey area that doesn't belong anywhere, but that is where discernment comes in. The way I see it, Jesus told stories. He knows we have an imagination, He gave us an imagination. Children often imagine things that are not real, so why not do fairy tales? That's just my humble opinion for our family, with no disrespect intended for anyone more conservative than me. :001_smile:

We have read some fairy tales, but not alot. I'm not really all that opposed to them but my kids are. They will not tolerate Lang's, even the milder ones. They prefer Hans Christian Anderson's tales. We have read quite a few of those. I followed AO for awhile and ended up sticking with Anderson's.

I thought and prayed about it a lot when dc were smaller, and came down on the side of there being other ways to teach morals than fairy tales. That was partly because both dc are very sensitive, plus I didn't feel comfortable due to the Biblical admonishments against witchcraft, magic, etc. We have discussed the Scriptures on these points and both dc (ages 10 and 7) have internalized it to the point they will stop reading or watching on their own if it involves these issues.

We have been able to find so much lovely material that we never missed the fairy tales! Dc are a little familiar with some that you just hear about as part of the general culture-Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc.

I do NOT judge other Christians at ALL who have chosen to do it differently! And have had discussions about it to make sure dc don't allow it to be divisive with other brothers and sisters in Christ that they may come across that are ok with it.

My 5yo really likes the Lang fairy tale books too. I just make sure that the beginning of every story that my ds knows it isn't a true story. "Did that person really exist?" "Could that have happened in real life?"

Then, when we read Bible stories, we go over it again. "Did Cain and Abel really live?" "Did God really tell Noah to build an ark?"

Because we really make the distinction that Bible stories are real and fairy tales aren't real, my ds has a harder time with gory issues in the Bible. It is really hard for him to understand why Cain killed Abel.

Thank you everyone for sharing. I'm really enjoying hearing what everyone has to say.Thanks HappyGrace for being so candid, and I think I am still trying to figure out what we will teach in our home about "magic" and "witches". Grandma already told oldest that they were bad, and I don't even know how I feel about that!

It's so hard sorting about all these things and it's so nice to hear from other moms.

Fairy tales ? No problem. Some teach moral values, some are purely entertainment. Some are gory, some are saccharin. All are make-believe. So are Santa Claus and the Easter Rabbit. Frankly, I take issue not with fairy tales, but with irreverent items such as "Veggie Tales" and cartoon Bibles. (I know I just lost friends over that admission.)

Our Church is the most "conservative" on earth, which "labels" where I'm coming from ! :)

Edited by Orthodox6

Conservative Christian here, but we've allowed our children to read...

Aesop's Fables

Lang's Fairy Tales

Grimm's Fairy Tales

Just So Stories

Jungle Book

Books with bad guys, witches, monsters, mythology, talking animals, etc.

But we thought about some things first.

1) We want a clear demarcation between good and evil.

2) If it is going to contain magic, we prefer it have an over-the-top fairy tale quality to it.

3) We waited until our children very clearly understood the difference between make-believe and reality.

4) We waited until our children were old enough not to be disturbed by the stories but not so long that they'd grow up squeamish about stuff like that.

Beyond that, I took each story on a case by case basis. We love Lang's Blue Fairy book but I remember skipping one or two stories that my children just weren't ready for at the time. My daughter has since gone back and re-read it. She's over 10 though now.

I'm not a throw the baby out the with bathwater type person though.

Edited by Daisy

We have read some fairy tales, but not alot. I'm not really all that opposed to them but my kids are. They will not tolerate Lang's, even the milder ones. They prefer Hans Christian Anderson's tales. We have read quite a few of those. I followed AO for awhile and ended up sticking with Anderson's.

I'm surprised to read your children's preference ! As a child, I avoided Anderson's fairy tales because of the dark, punitive core to most of the stories. They disturbed me deeply then, and still do.

We do fairy tales, but benign ones if that makes sense. My dd is very sensitive, God made her that way, so we honour that. No witches unless they're funny looking (not scary) and nothing "evil" (vampires, zombies, etc.) There's a big grey area that doesn't belong anywhere, but that is where discernment comes in. The way I see it, Jesus told stories. He knows we have an imagination, He gave us an imagination. Children often imagine things that are not real, so why not do fairy tales? That's just my humble opinion for our family, with no disrespect intended for anyone more conservative than me. :001_smile:

Hello ~

My thoughts exactly! We are going to use Writing Tales II next year which are based on fairy tales but they seem quite gentle. We are studying ancient civilizations this year but my DD didn't like Greek mythology (gave her nightmares) so we didn't continue.

I am uncertain about the suggestions you are following but you may want to look at Writing Tales I and use it for your needs and/or keep it when your DC begin writing.

Blessings,

Dina :001_smile:

Be like a Berean and prayerfully search the Scriptures about it. The Lord gives wisdom willingly to all who ask and will not resent it!

He will let you know what's right for you! :grouphug:

Great advice.

Thanks everyone for continuing to chime in!

I know this can be a heated topic, thank you for being respectful and loving.

One of the most beautiful things I have ever read was a defense of fairy tales, the princess-y rescue type, I think. I wish I could find the article.

Some of the medieval tales were supposed to be types of Christ.

All I know is my king will one day come on a "white horse" and take me to his mansion. :001_smile:

One of the most beautiful things I have ever read was a defense of fairy tales, the princess-y rescue type, I think. I wish I could find the article.

All I know is my king will one day come on a "white horse" and take me to his mansion. :001_smile:

Beautiful, Chris! Just beautiful! :001_wub:

I never have read it, but am wondering whether you are talking about Bettelheim's book, The Uses of Enchantment. -- except that you seem to be referencing a Christian-outlook work, which Bettelheim's isn't, I don't think.

Bettelheim book may not be from a Christian perspective, but I enjoyed the ideas he presented. Fairy tales (in cultures that weren't literate) were a teaching tool. A direct passing along ideas/information from parent to child. Over the years, the stories written down. But the parent adding and changing the stories have been sort of lost. Most fairy tales involve how to overcome an obstacle.

Guest Cindie2dds
Because we really make the distinction that Bible stories are real and fairy tales aren't real, my ds has a harder time with gory issues in the Bible. It is really hard for him to understand why Cain killed Abel.

:iagree: My kids really enjoy them. We didn't like the Princess and the Frog with all the voodoo, they didn't "get" it. When it hits close to home like a brother killing a brother, that's been really hard for them to understand. They know the fairy tales aren't real, so we enjoy them. I respect others' decisions and understand why they don't allow them.

I haven't read Lang, but have read other fairy tales to my kids over the years. I think some are better for older ages. This year we've read from a book I had as a child of Grimm and Anderson's fairy tales, and they can be kinda gory at times. In fact, my kids said, "Mom, WHY are you reading this to us? Can you read more?!" LOL! But they are 12 & 10. Ooops, 13 & 11 now, we've had birthdays! Anyway, it can be fun, but do them when you and your kids are ready. There are lots of tamer ones to read at younger ages too.

Merry :-)

I read this line and agree with you. Then the thought popped into mind that as soon as a child starts learning history, and/or reading lives of the saints, s/he quickly will encounter real-life instances of sibling killing sibling, child murdering parent, and parent murdering child. Horrible, sinful events to read about, but they are facts.

Maybe fairy tales are a "gentle" (not right word, but I'm fumbling) way to introduce some of life's uglier components ?

When it hits close to home like a brother killing a brother, that's been really hard for them to understand.

Wanted to add that, from a literary pov, it's a wonderful exercise to compare fairy tales across cultures (we did this with Cinderella-type tales, and it was so enlightening and fun!), and also to explore patterns common to tales.

My dd notices now--the use of groups of three (three wishes, three "tests," three magic objects, three brothers or sisters), the youngest or most unlikely will be the hero, and things like that. They are a rich resource!

We do stay away from some of the gory ones, and honestly, we don't do witches much, either--but they do figure in some classic stories (classic to us), so I allow it.

Guest Cindie2dds
I read this line and agree with you. Then the thought popped into mind that as soon as a child starts learning history, and/or reading lives of the saints, s/he quickly will encounter real-life instances of sibling killing sibling, child murdering parent, and parent murdering child. Horrible, sinful events to read about, but they are facts.

Maybe fairy tales are a "gentle" (not right word, but I'm fumbling) way to introduce some of life's uglier components ?

Thanks for putting my thoughts in to words! Some of the more difficult Fairy Tales I think will help now that we are going to try to read about early Church History this year using Trial and Triumph. There was also a book I found from Yesterday's Classics about the life of Saints that we were going to use, but I can't remember the title right now. I'm going to gauge it and see how she does. I'm not going to shelter her from those events, as a Christian she needs to know.

This thread is going to make me go check out the Lang Fairy Books and read them for myself - I saw a few of them at our library last week. :)

That's where I found them. They are different than any other fairy tales I'd read before, but my exposure was pretty much limited to Disney growing up. It's been fun exploring traditional fairy tales, Anderson's tales, and Lang's books with my dc. It's always good to pre-read, though. Many of the ending are surprising. :D

I agree with Cindie that I understand those who decide not to read fairy tales, but this makes sense to me.

Great discussion! I just wanted to add that we do not shy away from the difficult things written in Scripture (violent deaths, etc.) Understanding the magnitude of mankind's sin, and the consequences of transgressing God's laws, just points them to the Savior. We also read missionary stories and things like Trial and Triumph. I look at these differently from fairy tales because it is humans overcoming difficult situations in God's strength, not their own. We also look at violence in history this way, and try to discuss it from a Scriptural standpoint.

Again, not bashing fairy tales! We *could* do this same method with fairy tales, and we do with the ones like King Midas, etc. Like I said, we just stay away from witches, occult magic, etc.

Very interesting thread!

Edited by HappyGrace

Guest Cindie2dds
It's always good to pre-read, though. Many of the ending are surprising. :D

:lol: This is so true! When we got P3/4 from Sonlight, it came with the First Book of Fairy Tales. I was so excited. This is the book we started with. We cuddled up on the couch and she picked out The Little Mermaid. No one told me The Little Mermaid is nothing like the Disney version. Did not know this! When I was reading it out loud, I was fumbling big time and then realized, I have a lot of education on my part to do! :blushing:

Now, I pre-read or skim pretty much everything.

We are conservative theologically, and read Fairy Tales.

I pre-read things first and decide on a story-by-story basis.

Little Red Riding Hood (Blue Fairy Book - Lang) was a GREAT discussion starter for "stranger-danger" for us, for example. It's a good outline of a child dismissing those first thoughts of "something isn't right" and getting into a pickle.

Prince Darling was a GREAT discussion starter for listening to our conscience and doing what we know is right.

Fairy tales ? No problem. Some teach moral values, some are purely entertainment. Some are gory, some are saccharin. All are make-believe. So are Santa Claus and the Easter Rabbit. Frankly, I take issue not with fairy tales, but with irreverent items such as "Veggie Tales" and cartoon Bibles. (I know I just lost friends over that admission.)

Our Church is the most "conservative" on earth, which "labels" where I'm coming from ! :)

This is my position.

(...don't know which church you are referring to...but we are Orthodox Presbyterian...so, there must be *something* about that *O* word. LOL!)

Russian Orthodox. (which is identical in faith to Greek Orthodox, Romanian Orthodox, Serbian Orthodox, Japanese Orthodox, Chinese Orthodox, etc.) (just differences in cultural habits) (but not Orthodox Presbyterian ! :) I heard of them when I was in N.C. years ago. There aren't many of this group, are there ?)

This is my position.

(...don't know which church you are referring to...but we are Orthodox Presbyterian...so, there must be *something* about that *O* word. LOL!)

Russian Orthodox. (which is identical in faith to Greek Orthodox, Romanian Orthodox, Serbian Orthodox, Japanese Orthodox, Chinese Orthodox, etc.) (just differences in cultural habits) (but not Orthodox Presbyterian ! :) I heard of them when I was in N.C. years ago. There aren't many of this group, are there ?)

No, not many...we are very conservative also.

I have a good friend in GA who is Orthodox. I have learned alot from her. :)

Great discussion! This really has got me thinking. I read the article on line someone suggested, and already put a book on hold at the library. I think that we will check out a fairy tale book and skim through and see how we feel, and maybe I'll try to get a hold of "Orthodoxy". That sounds like an interesting read. Thank you again for all the impute.

I really value thinking through our decisions as a family and really seeking the Lord as to what is best for US, and not just going with the cultural flow. I think everyone who chimed in is also doing just that! So it's been so good to hear from you all.

I was raised in a home that was pretty strict about witches and magic more than fairy tales in general. I haven't really sorted out a strong opinion yet so this is interesting. I do know that while I can't decide what is *right* my kids are too sensitive for many fairy tales. Snow White caused nightmares for example. They also have a hard time with Cain and Abel. But it seems that the jealousy felt by brothers is easier for me to explain than the jealousy of a wicked stepmother with magical powers towards her stepdaughter. Hmm, I guess I'm thinking out loud right now but this is definitely interesting.