Menu

Inkheart, the book

My dd12 is listening to this book on tape, and she says that there is quite a bit of bad language in it. I told her to stop while I researched the issue. On Common Sense, it makes no mention of any language issues and even recommends the book for 9 year olds. For those who have read it, do you remember any bad language? Dd says it comes from the aunt when she's mad. Thanks,

Yes, the aunt is...spunky. She's also one of my most favorite characters in the books. I don't think she goes beyond d*mn or h*ll when she occasionally uses them. It really is just her spunky, ecclectic character and fits well with it. I can't remember, but I really doubt the children say anything like that.

FWIW, I absolutely loved those books. I suggested them to both of my kids around 9yo, I think. And don't bother with the movie - absolutely abysmal.

Yes, the aunt is...spunky. She's also one of my most favorite characters in the books. I don't think she goes beyond d*mn or h*ll when she occasionally uses them. It really is just her spunky, ecclectic character and fits well with it. I can't remember, but I really doubt the children say anything like that.

FWIW, I absolutely loved those books. I suggested them to both of my kids around 9yo, I think. And don't bother with the movie - absolutely abysmal.

Those words might not even register with me, but my kids are much, much older. And they heard a lot worse from me than that when I burned my finger this morning. I have to fight my potty mouth all the time.

It was written in German, and they tend to be a bit more casual about swearing - sounds like they translated them literally? I read it in German as well, and I do recall there may have been some, but it doesn't register with me as much when I'm reading it for myself. It's a very intense book, imho. 12 is probably fine, but I wouldn't give it to a 9yo. The second book has a lot about her having a crush on the boy that comes out of the Arabia book.

I liked these books, but I've held off giving them to my kids so far. Actually, I may be really mean and make them wait till they can read them in German... :sneaky2:

She said da**, hell, sh$$ and even the f-bomb! I'm wondering if things got mixed up in her head, as she listens to audiobooks as she falls asleep. Da** and hell would be fine with me, anything more gives me pause. Hmm, I think I'll just have her queue it up for me so I can listen to it myself. Thanks,

Hub and I just recently went through them and neither of us can remember an actual bad word in them, by our definition anyway. There certainly wasn't an "f-bomb" in there.

Inkspell had .. 3? more questionable words in it, but my 9yo is more than welcome to read it. Three words I know she's heard in real life, knows what they mean and why we don't use them. She's currently halfway through Inkheart. I'm going through Inkdeath myself and haven't found any yet.

I don't remember anything harsher than d*mn and h*ll.... Those books are intense, though.

:iagree:

But there were A LOT of these. No f-bomb. For me it wasn't so much about the words(not that I like them) as it was about the frequency. We read Harry Potter and there are some "bloody h*lls" in that. But to read it over and over, well, I just don't see a place for that in a children's book.

Honestly, I didn't read the rest of the series and the recurring language was only part. I thought she just went on on on in the middle of the first book repeating the same course of events over and over ... bleh.

Dd9 loved the movie. One of the few cases that I liked the movie better :) She'll have to wait till she's older to read the book.