Menu

Unabridged Alice in Wonderland

Legomom

It's not only a children's book - there are layers of meaning in there which allow it to be read at older ages. Both my boys (very advanced readers) read it at about age 8 or 9, but Calvin has re-read it since and says he enjoys it more as he gets older.

I would use the full version as a read-aloud at 8 or 9, or give it to a good reader at around that age. I wouldn't bother with an abridged version: if the going gets tough, just put it away for a few years.

Laura

My dd read it this year then insisted I read it to her and her sister (then she re-read it because she loves it). I'd suggest reading it to them at first unless they are very strong readers. The language and sense of humor can be quite complex. VP has a pretty good study guide for it if you are interested.

My daughter (8 yrs.) and I read this book together. We took turns reading it to each other. We laughed and laughed as we read it. It's brilliant. I wouldn't read the unabridged version; I'm sure it would lose something. As modern-day Americans I know we aren't getting some of the humor which I'm sorry about. But we do our best and keep our dictionary right next to us! We looked up the history behind much of it too.

Does anyone know what age this is appropriate for? It is on the WTM reading list for 3rd grade so I am wondering if they can read the unabridged version since it is a children's book.

My dd read this in 3rd grade for Ambleside & enjoyed it. She didn't have any problems & I don't consider her a super strong reader.

I would like to read the Alice in Wonderland book to my daughter (4th grade). I would like to get into the book with her before we go see the movie. I am trying to teach her that a book has far more details that movies, I want her love reading without pushing her into it. I find if I push her to read she seems to not want to as much. I guess thats like most children. Could you please tell me which book (author) would be the best one to get from the library?

Thanks

Karen

Just be aware that the new movie is not an adaptation of the book -- it's sort of a sequel, a "return" to Wonderland with a grown-up Alice and many of the characters from the book.

Thanks for the tip, that will make a nice teaching moment for my elder DS. I think my 3 yr old will be happy enough (more likely estatic) to see the characters. This is his first chapter book,so i'm glad he is excited.

I would like to read the Alice in Wonderland book to my daughter (4th grade). I would like to get into the book with her before we go see the movie. I am trying to teach her that a book has far more details that movies, I want her love reading without pushing her into it. I find if I push her to read she seems to not want to as much. I guess thats like most children. Could you please tell me which book (author) would be the best one to get from the library?

Thanks

Karen

I would get the original version, Lewis Carol (I'm not too sure what you meant, but I'd recommend unabridged with original illustrations). Also, the movie (in theatres now) is rather different, for a good comparison model I'd go with Disney's Alice in Wonderland. If you were to read 'Through the Looking Glass' (the sequal to AiW), then the Disney movie would make even more sense. They borrowed from both books.

My dd really enjoyed reading this version with beautiful illustrations by Helen Oxenbury.

This Book Page review sums it up nicely:

"The volume is oversized, the typeface large and friendly, the margins generous. This beautiful book quietly takes Alice out of the inky hands of scholars and places her back in the hands of children, where she has always belonged."

My dd really enjoyed reading this version with beautiful illustrations by Helen Oxenbury.
We have three versions of Alice and Through the Looking Glass: Oxenbury for the kids; Peake for the adults; and Tenniel which sits on the shelf.

my husband has been reading Alice in Wonderland in the evenings to my boys, ages 4 and 7. They love it. Not sure how much the 4 year old 'gets', however.

I just started reading it to the dds. My oldest is 4 and she really likes it. She wants me to keep on reading multiple chapters at a sitting, and she is NOT usually one who likes long read-alouds at all (at least ones without pictures).