Menu

When you are finished with something, do you....

RainbowSprinkles

I found the Queen books (that's the book you're talking about, right?) were way below grade level. We flew through them too. You could buy the next Queen book, or maybe buy FLL and start in the 2nd grade section. I think FLL3 is challenging for a 3rd grader, so I'd wait until next year to start it.

HTH!

Dorinda

I found the Queen books (that's the book you're talking about, right?) were way below grade level. We flew through them too. You could buy the next Queen book, or maybe buy FLL and start in the 2nd grade section. I think FLL3 is challenging for a 3rd grader, so I'd wait until next year to start it.

HTH!

Dorinda

We do have the next Queen book, but I'm going to sell it. I'm switching her to FLL, because like you said, we find it to be way below grade level. My dd needs more of a challenge. Maybe I will take a look at FLL 2. How long did it take you to finish FLL 2? Thanks for your input :)

We do have the next Queen book, but I'm going to sell it. I'm switching her to FLL, because like you said, we find it to be way below grade level. My dd needs more of a challenge. Maybe I will take a look at FLL 2. How long did it take you to finish FLL 2? Thanks for your input :)

As far as FLL goes...we are finishing up level 1 within the next month and I plan to just move into the level 2 stuff. I typically do not wait until the next year or grade level. We just keep going...don't want to lose the momentum! :001_smile:

Not long. It would be perfect for the semester if you did it more than 3 days a week. Also, you could back up and start in FLL 1 if you feel the Queen book wasn't thorough enough. We did FLL 1 in 1st grade/second semester and 2 in 2nd grade 1st semester. Then, we moved into Rod and Staff 2 for the rest of 2nd grade. I wanted to move her into FLL 3 after that, but I don't know if it was ready by then. I have to assume that's what it was because I don't know why I didn't go with it otherwise. :lol: How quickly we forget! Anyway, she's done well with Rod and Staff so we've stuck with it, but I think you could easily do FLL for the rest of the year and she'll go right into the 3rd book next year.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Guest Alte Veste Academy
move on to the next level right away or do you wait until next school year?

My dd has finished Language Lessons for the Very Young. For 3rd grade she will be doing FLL 3. I'm wondering if I should get her started on it now or wait until we start our new year. TIA

We haven't used that program specifically but when we finish something, we just start up with the next level right away. If we ever have a problem with the new level being too much, my plan is to supplement and/or review at the prior level and tread water until development catches up with the new level.

Good question. I'm wondering that myself, since if we follow REAL science as I've planned, we'll finish it early. I'm thinking I will just add a bit to it by reviewing stuff that isn't covered, eg human reproduction, and spending longer on the bits they like the most. But that's mainly because I'm trying to keep to the 4 year sciences cycle. With math and language, I'd just proceed to the next level if we finished early.

We just move on to the next level, no matter what time of year it is. Of course, we school year round, so there's no real stop and start time. But I think if I finished a program in the middle of February and my next school year didn't start until August or September, I would start on something new unless the student was already over-extended.

We move on, but we also hs year round. So, there isn't really any "next" year for us. Ds moves up through his subjects as he finishes them. So, we're in the second year of Latin, third year of Greek, third year of grammar, fourth year of spelling... you get the idea ;)

One of the reasons we hs is so ds can go at his own pace. This, imo, is part of that.

Wow, I must be a lenient woos! I set goals for the year, and I try to accomplish them. I have different plans for different seasons too. So for instance, I have things we're doing now that I am to finish before May so that we can do our May Term stuff. So no, I don't just go on to the next level. There needs to be a reward for finishing things, and there needs to be an ebb and flow to life, times when you work harder and times when you don't work as hard. I like the way we alternate hard work with more unit-studyish, fun times (May Term, etc.). It's good to alternate like that, especially when you school year round. It keeps things from being so monotonous. And really, it's good for them to see the same material a new way.

It's Feb. You'd have time to find a fun workbook or do something for a couple months where you could apply what you've been working on. Have you tried Mad Libs? Have you done any fun workbooks like Mindbenders or Punctuation Puzzlers? Any editing? Or maybe one of the Imitation in Writing books? There's an IW Fairy Tales book that is fun for that age. If you want to keep your grammar fresh using it, analyze the models for the grammar you've covered and diagram a sentence or two from it each week.

For math and LA, we just move on. And then if we end up in the middle of a level when we take summer break, then we stop and pick up where we left off when we re-start in August. We haven't started a foreign language, but when we do, this will probably be what we will do.

For other subjects such science and history, if we finish early, then we wait till next year to start the next "level". In the mean time, the kids have "free reading" of any library books related to the subject - their choice. But this year, we're quite behind,.... :blush: so not an issue.

For math and LA, we just move on. And then if we end up in the middle of a level when we take summer break, then we stop and pick up where we left off when we re-start in August. We haven't started a foreign language, but when we do, this will probably be what we will do.

For other subjects such science and history, if we finish early, then we wait till next year to start the next "level". In the mean time, the kids have "free reading" of any library books related to the subject - their choice. But this year, we're quite behind,.... :blush: so not an issue.

Oh, we do the same thing with science, switching mid summer (since we school year round). Otherwise, we'd never move ahead :lol: