Menu

Help: Can dogs die from eating cat food?

My lab/boxer mix stays in the garage overnight, and I forgot that we put the big bag of cat food in there yesterday. She got into it and there is yucky poop everywhere. I put her outside even though it is raining and cold. My dh is getting a doghouse today b/c I can't deal with that mess anymore.

But somewhere, sometime, I heard that dogs can die if they eat a lot of cat food... is that true?

*I am not a vet!!!*

But I don't think you really have to worry, other than about the mess. If you were feeding your dog cat food instead of dog food everyday, I doubt he'd get the proper nutrition, and that could kill him. But an "accidental" feeding? Other than an upset stomach, I can't imagine what health problems there would be.

No, it's the other way around. Cats can't live well on dog food because it has insufficient amounts of taurine.

Edited by nmoira

I think if your dog got sick, it would be because of the super high protein in cat food vs dog food. But with Meow Mix, I think there are a lot of fillers, so I wouldn't worry too much. My dog eats the cat food all the time (and it doesn't have much by the way of fillers), and she's still healthy. Naughty, but healthy. I bet your dog will have an upset tummy for a bit, but it will pass (right on out :lol:).

There is something called taurine that is nin cat food but not good for dogs - I think it makes their heart race. If he ingested a lot.. I'd call and ask.

A quick web search will dispel any such worries. Pets often get sick when they eat new or unaccustomed food. Taurine is a nutrient required in greater quantities by cats than dogs. It's quite possible that excess amounts of taurine will harm dogs (or cats) but it won't harm dogs in concentrations found in cat food.

Good grief, no.

Theoretically they could bloat but that would not really be from cat food as perhaps from gorging - though coases of bloat are poorly understood anyway.

Commercial cat food is higher in protein than dog food and often very appealing to dogs. Taurine will not harm a dog. It's an amino acid. Some commercial foods now include a supplement of it in dog food as well as cat food. Cats die without it.

Taurine btw occurs naturally in meat. (which gives you an idea of how crappy commercial food is if they have to add this stuff back. Cats are obligate carnivores btw - they can't really do much with grains which is a large component of most commercial cat foods....)

Hi, I am brand-new here (been lurking for a year), but I registered so I could reply.

LARGE volumes of cat food can indeed be a serious problem, if pancreatitis should develop. It can usually be treated (hold off food and supportive care primarily....more aggressive therapy if needed). Any higher fat food can cause the same problem. I am a vet and it would not be unusual to see an increase in pancreatitis cases around the holidays, as the family dog got treated to some of the feast :-). It is a more common problem in middle-aged female dogs.

That said, many, many dogs eat cat food without serious ill effects, and you have a bigger dog, so odds are things will turn out fine. But, if there is lack of appetite, painful abdomen, or vomiting, I would advise you to have you dog examined promptly.

Good luck; hopefully it will all be resolved soon!

No, it's the other way around. Cat's can't live well on dog food because it has insufficient amounts of taurine.

:iagree:Yup. What she said.

Any time there is a change in an animal's diet, you will get the reaction you got. That's why it is always recommended make changes slowly if you start a new food with an animal.

So, no worries. He'll be fine! :001_smile:

yucky poop everywhere. I put her outside even though it is raining and cold. My dh is getting a doghouse today b/c I can't deal with that mess anymore.

Actually - now that I've read the post more thoroughly

:svengo:

A doghouse.

For a sick dog.

Who needs care.

When it's raining and cold.

:svengo::svengo::svengo:

It's poop. It's not nuclear waste. It's poop. She can't help it. YOU made a mistake. And now she's paying for it by being sick and now she's banished outside? Forever? :crying:

Have you considered finding her another home?

I foster dogs - dogs who were not loved, who were not taken care of properly, who come to me matted, sick, bewildered. They pee, they poop, they chew stuff. I clean up, teach them manners, take them to vets to heal their wounds, get them excellent food, teach them about toys and treats - & then someone comes along and applies to adopt them & says 'what a perfect dog! How could someone have not loved this dog?!'

and I don't know what to say.

And putting a pillow in there doesn't cut it.

No, it's the other way around. Cat's can't live well on dog food because it has insufficient amounts of taurine.
Oh my, I killed a kitten with that apostrophe. Fixed now.

I hope I didn't kill a second one by quoting it. :blush:

Pancreatitis can be deadly and can be set off by the dog eating large quantities of hig fat food. It's the most common thanksgiving emergency -- when folks give their dogs the turkey greasey platter to devour. . .

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

If it is pancreatitis, it can kill your dog pretty quickly, but can usually be cured in 24-48 hours with aggressive vet care (IV fluids, etc.)

The other condition that is common is "garbage gut" -- i.e., upset tummy b/c of overeating of sth unfamiliar. That is just stinky, messy, and unpleasant. . .and can ofcourse be dangerous if it goes on too long (dehydration, etc.), and/or the dog is fragile. . . and can be cured with RX meds from the vet.

So, anyway, I'd get your dog to the vet tonight if it's still going on to make sure it's not pancreatitis (or sth else scary). If it's "just" garbage gut, the vet can give you meds that'll clear it up in a few hours, most likely.

HTH