Menu

Dog breed...Bichon-Poodle

Does anyone have a Bichon-Poodle mix? I'm taking my mother to go look at two on Monday...and, I want to know if there is anything she should know or ask the breeder. These puppies are 5 months old and "only" paper-trained. I'm hoping it won't take my mother too long to teach the dog to go outside. That is one of my mother's "fears."

Thanks for any info on this breed...

~Holly

I have a Havanese and a Maltese, both of which are in the same family as Bichons. They are incredibly sweet, loyal affectionate dogs, great with my kids (even DD, who likes to dress them up) ~ BUT it did take a good solid year to house train the Havanese, and the Maltese is not even close to being trained at 9 months. I'm guessing we're going to be stepping in puddles for another few months before she "gets" it as well. :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

I have a Havanese and a Maltese, both of which are in the same family as Bichons. They are incredibly sweet, loyal affectionate dogs, great with my kids (even DD, who likes to dress them up) ~ BUT it did take a good solid year to house train the Havanese, and the Maltese is not even close to being trained at 9 months. I'm guessing we're going to be stepping in puddles for another few months before she "gets" it as well. :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

:iagree::iagree:

I have heard that the Havanese are better and still give you a great dog, hair wise. (hair versus fur) You could be like one person I know... her breeder told her to keep a diaper on her boy rat terrier... YUCK....

I had a bichon frise growing up. They are notoriously stubborn and difficult to potty train. I speak from personal experience.

I would check out the AKC website for a description of them.

This surprises me. My sister and I each had a Bichon growing up. Hers was a male and my dog was a female. Neither of our dogs were difficult to train.

Well, it's not a breed, it's a mutt. I'd be EXTREMELY wary of getting a dog from a back yard breeder like this & a 5 mo old who is not fully house trained is a red flag. Actually, I wouldn't be wary - I'd be running in the other direction: to the shelter, to the rescue, to the reputable breeder.

JMO.

If you want mutts, they're all over the shelters. For that matter, if you want purebreed, they're all over the shelters as well. And overflowing in rescue where everybody is frantically trying to materialize foster homes from thin air just so we can give a dog a chance to find a home - & not face the gas chamber.

Well bred poodles are wonderful & smart.

Well bred bichon frise are clever & funny but have a reputation for independence - I think they just need a challenge & an owner more stubborn than they are.

Mutts bred by disreputable breeders can have wide ranging temperaments and health issues.

Reputable breeders will want to interview you, often have waiting lists, produce few specifically planned litters, have clear breeding goals, do genetic and other health testing on the sire & dam.

(hornblower = cranky foster home for dog rescue)

My niece has a poodle/bichon cross.

In general, I'm not in favor of buying from people who cross breeds on purpose. But in all honestly, it's hard to be sure you're buying from one of the "good guys" even if you do buy a purebred. So who knows.

One thing to watch out for in either a poodle or a bichon (or any white dog with round eyes) is tear stains. This can look REALLY nasty. They don't wash away. It's not a sign of neglect or dirtiness. It just goes with having a white dog with round eyes. There is a medicine to prevent this, and it works fairly well, but it's VERY expensive, and, well, it's a medicine.

We have a Bolognese, which is related to the Bichon. This is the cutest, sweetest, cuddliest, most gentle, most laid back, softest, fluffiest dog in the world; and we adore him. However, he doesn't seem real hardy. And he was VERY difficult to housetrain. (The worst on this of any dog I've ever known.) Other than sitting in our laps and being adorable, we've had very little luck training him to do anything. I have no way of knowing if he's typical of the breed.

My niece's poodle/bichon cross is quite hyper. Again, I have no way of knowing if this is typical of that cross.

However, I think it's safe to assume that a poodle/bichon cross is going to have a high-maintenance coat. He'll either have to be clipped regularly ($), or brushed daily, or both. He should not shed.

Expect the puppies to be adorable beyond resistance level. :)

Edited by Cindyg

Well, this woman that has the puppies IS a breeder. I'm not sure how to find out her reputation...but, she was recommended to my mother.

We had a poodle for 15 years...so, I know about the "eye thing." It was never a problem for us. We also had a Maltese-Poodle. I "rescued" her...and, she was a great little dog. Neither of our dogs took very long to "potty train"...so to speak! However, we had them from the time they were little puppies. This dog my mom is going to look at is 5 months old. I'll make sure to bring it up with the breeder.

Thanks, everyone!

~Holly

Well, this woman that has the puppies IS a breeder. I'm not sure how to find out her reputation...but, she was recommended to my mother.

Well.... what I've been trying to say politely is that someone who breeds 'designer' dogs on purpose is by definition highly unlikely to be reputable.

I guess I'm out of the loop on this one. Smiles! What is a designer dog? Is that taking two pedigree dogs to try and make some kind of "super" breed?

I'm not sure what my mother will do. I'm trying to get her to go to the pound, again. But, she doesn't seem to want to do that. It's a long drive. Of course, I'm the one that would be driving her...since she won't go by herself.

I digress...

Thanks!

~Holly

We had a poodle for 15 years...so, I know about the "eye thing." It was never a problem for us. We also had a Maltese-Poodle. I "rescued" her...and, she was a great little dog. Neither of our dogs took very long to "potty train"...so to speak! However, we had them from the time they were little puppies. This dog my mom is going to look at is 5 months old. I'll make sure to bring it up with the breeder.

Thanks, everyone!

~Holly

Yeah, the whole 5 months old and only paper trained would make me look for some one else with younger pups (8 weeks or so). If that's what the pup is used to going on, it could be difficult to train it right. Personally, *I* wouldn't take the chance of it. Just my .02!

If these pups are 5 months old, critical developmental windows have long since closed in terms of housebreaking and socialization. In my professional opinion, those are two HUGE HUGE HUGE red flags. Especially if this pup will spend any time around your kids--- I'd be very wary of temperament.

Very, very wary of temperament.

Incredibly wary of temperament.

Actually, so wary that I'd be heading in the other direction.

I wish you and your mom luck finding a great dog.

astrid

I guess I'm out of the loop on this one. Smiles! What is a designer dog? Is that taking two pedigree dogs to try and make some kind of "super" breed?

The only 'super' thing about them is the cha-ching in the pockets of the disreputable breeders. You take a cutesy poopsy dog & breed it to another cutesy-poopsy breed & give it an even cuter poopsey name like a

schnoodle!

puggle!

shi-poo

chi-orky

Bonus points if you can say they're 'teacup' anything.

Sell them at highly inflated prices (often WAY MORE than purebred dogs from excellent lines) and call them 'special', 'unique', 'rare'. Breed the dogs as often as you can. When they stop producing, dump them on the side of the road.

The little cutesy poopsies become THE trendy fashion accessory for many people. A few months later, a large percentage get dropped off at shelters or rehomed on craigslist because of temperament or medical issues or because the person is moving/can't find an apartment that allows pets/new boyfriend is allergic/got a new couch and the dog doesn't match it blah blah blah.

BTW, I love mutts. One of mine is a mutt and I'm fostering another one whose parentage is a huge mystery. I can't figure out what he is :) I'm not against mutts per se - but there are SO many dogs being put to sleep every year in shelters, we really don't need anyone breeding mutts.

Has your mom checked out http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

In the left column, you can put in that you're looking for a dog & just indicate size small & then enter your city & state and you'll see listings for available dogs in your region in shelters/rescues.

Hey Holly, is your mother in Florida too? If she is, can I recommend Coastal Poodle Rescue? They are a wonderful rescue group for poodles and poodle mixes and that is where I got my miniature poodle Fluffy. We have had him for 3.5 years and what a great dog. They do an excellent job of matching you to a suitable poodle or poodle mix for your lifestyle. Like I wanted a non yappy poodle that did bark at doorbells and got along with kids and cats. It had to be housebroken since we lived in a rental and not be a high activity needed kind of a dog since I have chronic illnesses and my kids will be out of the house in five years. I got exactly that. You can visit their website and see some of the dogs and descriptions they have. If we end up retiring to Florida, I will become a volunteer for them.

I also agree with Hornblower completely about the designer dog problem. I don't even see why so many are done. I saw a show on Animal Planet about this and while the breeders tried to make it all sound positive, what you actually get is dogs with health problems from both breeds if not also behavioral issues from both. The program did show some of that side too while they were talking to breeders or owners. Actually like Hornblower said, at least two of the five dogs from these various mixes were rescues or shelter adoptions. The new owners admitted the issues whether health or behavioral. I think it is actually worse that a regular mutt= the offspring from two mutts. In that case, you probably have a lesser chance of health problems.

One so-called designer breed they showcased was the labra-doodle. It was supposed to be great for allergic people. Well there is a great bigger dog that is wonderful for allergic people who live an athletic dog- that is a standard poodle. But it wasn't one of the ones which was highlighted for problems. Those were chihuahu mixture and I think some type of other little dog mixture.

Sounds like that would be a very cute mix! I would add to the comments that my aunt (who is a very busy lady - working full-time, part-time church musician, and - at the time - taking care of my grandmother in her home) has a Bichon Frise. She was never able to fully house-train her (she's paper trained) and she is the most high-strung creature I have ever seen! (And this aunt has had terriers before. The Bichon makes the terriers look laid back.)

I'd plan on having a lot of time to spend with a Bichon, and pay close attention to temperment (FWIW - you really can't tell until the get home, can you?)

The only 'super' thing about them is the cha-ching in the pockets of the disreputable breeders. You take a cutesy poopsy dog & breed it to another cutesy-poopsy breed & give it an even cuter poopsey name like a

schnoodle!

puggle!

shi-poo

chi-orky

Bonus points if you can say they're 'teacup' anything.

Sell them at highly inflated prices (often WAY MORE than purebred dogs from excellent lines) and call them 'special', 'unique', 'rare'. Breed the dogs as often as you can. When they stop producing, dump them on the side of the road.

The little cutesy poopsies become THE trendy fashion accessory for many people. A few months later, a large percentage get dropped off at shelters or rehomed on craigslist because of temperament or medical issues or because the person is moving/can't find an apartment that allows pets/new boyfriend is allergic/got a new couch and the dog doesn't match it blah blah blah.

BTW, I love mutts. One of mine is a mutt and I'm fostering another one whose parentage is a huge mystery. I can't figure out what he is :) I'm not against mutts per se - but there are SO many dogs being put to sleep every year in shelters, we really don't need anyone breeding mutts.

Has your mom checked out http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

In the left column, you can put in that you're looking for a dog & just indicate size small & then enter your city & state and you'll see listings for available dogs in your region in shelters/rescues.

In November, 30 dogs were dumped off a highway in a wooded area south of here. They are terrier mixes & I often have wondered if the mom of my Patch was a precursor of this event. Patch's mom (J.Russell) was dropped off pregnant at a rescue about 2 years ago. The rescue is about 15 -20 miles as the crow flies from where the 30 dogs were found.

Here is the story about the 30 dogs.

http://www.yourspca.org/site/News2?news_iv_ctrl=-1&page=NewsArticle&id=6701

We found Patch on petfinder.

Hornblower,

While I agree with every word you said, I have just three logical issues that make puppy shopping difficult.

1. Yes, buying a "designer" puppy supports the bad guys, the puppy mills. But buying a purebred sometimes does too. It is seriously difficult to discern who the good guys are.

2. Yes, buying a "designer" puppy is a crap shot on health and temperament. But buying a registered dog is absolutely *no* guarantee of temperament or health.

3. We all agree that mutts are great pets. These "designer" puppies are essentially mutts. Aside from the fact that they are expensive, there's no reason to assume they would be any worse pets than any random mutt.

I guess what I'm saying is that a "designer" puppy, a mutt, or a registered dog is a crap shoot in temperament and in in health.

The last two expensive pups I bought from reputable breeders had serious flaws. (I'm talking quality-of-life threatening flaws.) These were dogs that were bred to be show quality, but were "one off" and went to pet homes. So, I'm hesitant to imply that buying a mixed breed dog increases your odds of a puppy with health or temperament issues.

(Though, personally, I would never buy puppy from somebody who crossed two breeds on purpose and sold them for a profit.)

And I totally agree that 5 months old and not housebroken (and probably living in a cage) is a disaster. You may want to purchase this dog, and consider it a rescue. I mean, don't we all hope somebody nice gets this dog and loves it?