Menu

How many hours of sleep do your kids get a night?

I have an 8yo boy and a 13yo girl. My boy sleeps 10 hours a night and my girl sleeps 9 hours a night. I often wish they would sleep more but no matter how we jiggle the schedule they both end up sleeping about this amount.

Edited to add:

Sleep is one thing I never, ever try to restrict. More is always better, unless you're dealing with upwards of 12 hours a night and need to look into illness/physical disorders or depression.

I have also found that my girl needs more sleep at times--adolescence takes an enormous amount of energy (growing, hormonal changes).

I have an 8yo boy and a 13yo girl. My boy sleeps 10 hours a night and my girl sleeps 9 hours a night. I often wish they would sleep more but no matter how we jiggle the schedule they both end up sleeping about this amount.

Ok....that makes me feel better. My just turned 10 yr son needs to sleep 10 hours a night or he is a mess by the end of the next day.

I wasn't sure if that was too much or good or too little.

I do not remember sleeping that much when I was little.

Also my son age 5 is HORRIBLE to wake up. :( So it is mostly the boys who seem to really be sensitive to the amount of sleep they get. They girls (7 and 3) seem to be more flexible.

Last night all of mine slept 11 hours (except baby was about 9)

None of them nap except baby. So that seems to be in the "normal" range.

Thank you for your input. I always feel like the kids at our dance academy who go to school outside the home sleep so much less.

Started making me wonder if we were just kinda lazy. :001_huh: :tongue_smilie:

And their ages too please. :)

I am trying to figure out if mine sleep way to much (or want to anyway) :001_huh:

Thanks

Ds#1 is 14, almost 15 and he probably sleeps from about 12am to 7am (if that). He tends to be late owl and early bird in one. He gets the least sleep out of all my kids. Rarely do I have to wake him up. He gets maybe 7 hrs a night.

Dd is 14, almost 15 and she usually goes to bed by 10pm and I wake her up at 8:30am. She is my sleeper... loves to sleep but she sleeps poorly. She "sleeps" about 10 hrs a night (weekends I drag her out of bed around 10-11am).

Ds#2 is almost 11 and Ds#3 is almost 9.... they go to bed between 8:30 and 9pm and usually are awake before 7am or I wake them at 7:30am (usually after a night of them not getting to sleep until after 10pm). Some nights they are yo-yo boys and just can't stay in bed long enough to fall asleep without my threatening to duct tape them to their beds. They get about 10 hours. But they sometimes don't stay asleep.

My dd5 sleeps 10-12+ hours a night. Sometimes she will sleep more than 12 if you let her go undisturbed. She is also a horrible one to wake up, she needs lots of couch veg time after you wake her. She has always been a great sleeper. From the day we brought her home from the hospital she slept through the night. Once she is up though, she is up. Lots of energy, no naps and hard to put to bed.:glare:

My dd5 sleeps 10-12+ hours a night. Sometimes she will sleep more than 12 if you let her go undisturbed. She is also a horrible one to wake up, she needs lots of couch veg time after you wake her. She has always been a great sleeper. From the day we brought her home from the hospital she slept through the night. Once she is up though, she is up. Lots of energy, no naps and hard to put to bed.:glare:

Hmmm....this kinda sounds like my Angelo. He is also 5. :D

One compelling factor to homeschool was allowing my kids to sleep in. I'm a night owl, and so is my eldest.

My kids are four and nine; they average 11-12 hours each night, from around 9-10pm to 8-9am. I only wake them on Sundays if they aren't already up by 8:15am, for church. I'd wake them after 8 hours if someone else was counting on them to do something they had already committed to, or after 10 hours if it was something they'd committed to and I know they'd want to do.

You may want to check out Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child from your library. He gives age-appropriate guidelines for optimal sleep times and amounts. I can tell you that his recommendations are most certainly not what my siblings and I got when we were kids. No wonder I was always tired in the morning!

He recommends that kids are in bed by 7:30, even as they grow older because they are no longer napping.

My 6yo sleeps 11.5 hours and my 3yo sleeps 12 hours at night plus a 2.5 hour daily nap.

I also just read an interesting study that found teens who slept 9 hours each night scored significantly higher on their SAT scores. This pushed several high schools to implement a later start for their morning classes.

HTH!

17 year old-6-7 hours. She usually goes to bed between 11:00 and 11:30 and gets up at 6:00, except for on the weekend. Then she sleeps in until 9 or 10.

14 year old-2-4 hours broken up. She has insomnia so she shouldn't really count.

11 year old-10 hours. He goes to bed around 10:30 and wakes up around 8:30.

Did we do one of these recently? I swear I think I remember typing this before...

Oh well...I'll play again. :)

My 10.6 year old goes to bed around 10 or 10:30 (he has to be in bed by 8:30 and he usually reads in bed until he falls asleep. Sometimes it is as late as 11pm). He gets up between 7:30 and 9. So...he averages 9-10 hours a night.

My 6.5 year old goes to bed at 8:30 (and goes to sleep - no reading) and gets up between 7:30 and 8. He averages 11.5-12 hours a night.