Menu

Movie rec help - middle school, very! clean, Christian theme preferred, classic famil

Middle Schoolers are meeting for a movie night and I'm not thrilled with our first choice - Last Sin Eater.

After researching it further, it's a bit too dark for this setting.

Do you have any recs? I was thinking something lighthearted but with a good message. They've already seen The Gift and that went over well. They've also seen End of the Spear and that was a bit "heavy" for this event.

I was trying to come up with an older movie they would really be surprised to like, something like African Queen - action, adventure type stuff. Obviously that one is a bit long and a bit too old for them.

Maybe a mix of Huck Finn and Facing the Giants type stuff.

Ugh. Why is it so hard to find clean entertainment?

Really? I don't rmember that. Weren't all the astronauts on that mission married? It's such an amazing story that many kids don't know.

I also thought October Sky was so innocent and wonderful. Sigh.

Sound of Music?

Kevin Bacon bragging at the bar...it's fast, irrelevant to the storyline, and could be easily fast-forwarded skipped.

Sergeant York. He gets saved and everything. Makes me cry every time. :-)

YES!!!

How about the Lord of the Rings movies? If this is a regular event, you could work through the trilogy. If anyone is so-inclined they could even discuss the Christian symbolism. Or how about The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe?

How about Rudy? Okay, now I'm going to chant this all day...

Kitt Kittredge

A Raisin in the Sun

Fiddler on the Roof

Edited by BikeBookBread

Really? I don't rmember that. Weren't all the astronauts on that mission married? It's such an amazing story that many kids don't know.

I also thought October Sky was so innocent and wonderful. Sigh.

Sound of Music?

I *personally* would be OK with showing October Sky, but I wanted to give a heads up just in case since she asked for very clean. The jokes in Apollo 13 are at a party near the beginning when one astronaut is trying to hit on a woman.

While I love both October Sky and Apollo 13, you would probably want to preview if you haven't seen them as I believe October Sky has some swearing and I know Apollo 13 has some se*ual innuendo at the beginning.

I *personally* disliked October Sky--too much cussing. I couldn't make it through the movie. And I've tried watching this twice, several years apart. I was very disappointed because I enjoyed reading Homer Hickam's book that it's based on.

On the other hand, I love Apollo 13. Yes, there is a bit of language there, too. But it is grown men in an extremely stressful situation, as opposed to teen boys just being teen boys in October Sky. I could also do without the Kevin Bacon in the shower with his girlfriend scene but it is short and you don't actually see them in the shower.

Cinder

How about:

*Man from Snowy River (not Christian, but clean, Australian cowboy and old fashioned romance; reelased in the 80s)

*Christy (the movie)

*Last of the Mohicans (we love this! The scenery and music is gorgeous! No bad words. No sexually explicit stuff. Two potential problems: some violence/fighting between Indians and soldiers/*Mohicans* (nothing terrible that I recall and we're picky) and in the next to last scene, one of the English girls walks off cliff out of despondency.

*Gifted Hands (inspiring story, clean, family friendly, recent release)

*One of the Narnia's (but then, everyone's seen it)

*Tale of Despereux

*one of the older Christian films like Joni (Joni Ereckson Tada)

*The Hiding Place (probably too heavy, but boy is it good!)

*Inn of Sixth Happiness (Hollywood finally did it about right in biographing the life of missionary Gladys Aylward to the Chinese. Old and excellent.)

*Amazing Grace -- excellent film about William Wilberforce's life-long fight to abolish slavery in Great Britain; Christian; inspirational and well done.

HTH,

Lisa