Menu

I think I'm ready to confess: I'm really a 4yo trapped in the body of a grown woman

So, my library . . . We love the library; well, we did. We use it often and more than often and even have school there a couple of times/month. We have lots of branches and use them all.

My girl and I got a book from ILL. I did not make note of the condition when we got it nor did I make note of the condition when we returned it. Shame on me. Also, we can be hard on books so, when the library emailed to say that we had damaged it, I was willing to at least give them the benefit of the doubt. Probably b/c it was a wonderful hardback book that I would like to own anyway, I just said that I was sorry and would come to pick it up and pay the replacement cost ($55). They emailed back to say that they had returned it to the lending institution and I would just pay the replacement fee but not receive the book. I could not accept that so I went to the library personally and took it up with the ILL person. She told me the same and, in fact, she had sent the email. I told her I'd be willing to pay but I expected the book back. I also told her that I was committing to paying a fine for damage that I hadn't seen and don't even know if I caused. She stuck to her position.

Well, here is where the 4yo in me come out.

I did not pay the fine. I had several books on my card and I kept them. I refused to return them. I guess I held them hostage since I felt that they were holding my (?) book hostage. The library sent an email which I ignored. They sent a letter. I felt like a pirate holding some poor princess hostage but nope, I ignored the letter, too . . . and the next one.

I also ignore bills. My husband takes care of those so when a bill-looking envelope arrived in the mailbox, I ignored it. My husband got it and it was a letter from a collection agency threatening action if I didn't return the books. Yikes!! Trust me when I say that you cannot imagine how (rightly) outraged my husband was. To my suprise, he was outraged with me! Okay, I wasn't that suprised. I pleaded with him not to return the books b/c they were being mean to me. He said he wasn't going to . . . he made me do it! O! the injustice of it all! Well, I didn't do it. Outraged doesn't really cover it here. I'll just move on . . .

My husband called the library, shmoozed the lady, got the list of books, returned them, paid the overdue fine ***and got the $55 replacement fee waved!!!!**** They waved the fine for him but not me. They waved the fine. I kept telling them that I'd pay, I was willing to pay, I only felt that it was just that they return the book to me. She wouldn't even consider it. My husband calls her up and she can't wait to serve with a smile and give him everything he asks for.

the makes me mad.

this is how i know I'm really a 4 yo trapped in a woman's body.

:glare:

You don't have to tell me how naughty, selfish, mean, irresponsible, et c. I am. I've heard.

Ha! That really is funny you know. I didn't pay the bills myself for a loooooong time after we were married. Since we were part of a family business my mil payed everything for us with company checks. Took me forever to take that over.

There's some 4 yr old in all of us.

Ain't that the truth!

That woman was being ridiculous.

Glad you said that . . . there's a rumor going around my family that *I* am the ridiculous one. But that's just ridiculous!:tongue_smilie:

My husband and I are both confrontational. However, we're confrontational in entirely different ways.

Example:

He was deployed when we were getting ready to move here. We had to have an overseas medical screening before I could get orders. I had already sold my house and needed a moving date which I could not get until after I finished this process. Our final appointment for this process (and it was a stupid, stupid process, just for the record) was on a Thursday, hubby was coming home on Saturday. So, as I have the final appointment the lady says "great! Now that we have all of the paperwork it will take six weeks to get it back and then you'll have the orders." I was all :confused:!! I told her "I've already sold my house, we are driving away from here in 4 weeks. I have to have orders ASAP, I cannot wait six weeks!" She remained firm in "well, that's how long it takes, I don't know what to tell you." So, on Tuesday hubby went to see her. He refused to talk to her and asked to speak to her supervisor. He had orders in 48 hours.

I don't know how he does it. I'm not afraid of confrontation but I'm much more likely to just call someone an idiot and write them off. He gets them to bend to his will. It's not just military stuff, either, it's everything. He *always* gets out of tickets, I never do (I once got a ticket for going 52 in a 50). Some of us are just too matter of fact, I think.

I disagree that it's necessarily sexist. I think this sort of thing is usually more of a personality issue. Maybe it's just me. :cheers2:

I wrote that because she dealt reasonably with a man, but not with a woman. It seems to be a recurring theme, "He will get a better deal/women will be taken advantage of" in life, not in this library or with this librarian.

I wrote that because she dealt reasonably with a man, but not with a woman. It seems to be a recurring theme, "He will get a better deal/women will be taken advantage of" in life, not in this library or with this librarian.

Um, it wouldn't by any chance be just because he did the schmoozing and she, er, didn't?

@OP - Sorry, I can empathize with your outrage, but the image of you being a pirate with princess book hostages is hilarious :lol:

:lol: I LOVED your post! I would have reacted the same way. To me, it totally would have been the principle of the thing. If you were willing to pay, you had a right to see the damage and keep the book you were essentially buying. I would have held the other books hostage too! :D

So, my library . . . We love the library; well, we did. We use it often and more than often and even have school there a couple of times/month. We have lots of branches and use them all.

My girl and I got a book from ILL. I did not make note of the condition when we got it nor did I make note of the condition when we returned it. Shame on me. Also, we can be hard on books so, when the library emailed to say that we had damaged it, I was willing to at least give them the benefit of the doubt. Probably b/c it was a wonderful hardback book that I would like to own anyway, I just said that I was sorry and would come to pick it up and pay the replacement cost ($55). They emailed back to say that they had returned it to the lending institution and I would just pay the replacement fee but not receive the book. I could not accept that so I went to the library personally and took it up with the ILL person. She told me the same and, in fact, she had sent the email. I told her I'd be willing to pay but I expected the book back. I also told her that I was committing to paying a fine for damage that I hadn't seen and don't even know if I caused. She stuck to her position.

Well, here is where the 4yo in me come out.

I did not pay the fine. I had several books on my card and I kept them. I refused to return them. I guess I held them hostage since I felt that they were holding my (?) book hostage. The library sent an email which I ignored. They sent a letter. I felt like a pirate holding some poor princess hostage but nope, I ignored the letter, too . . . and the next one.

I also ignore bills. My husband takes care of those so when a bill-looking envelope arrived in the mailbox, I ignored it. My husband got it and it was a letter from a collection agency threatening action if I didn't return the books. Yikes!! Trust me when I say that you cannot imagine how (rightly) outraged my husband was. To my suprise, he was outraged with me! Okay, I wasn't that suprised. I pleaded with him not to return the books b/c they were being mean to me. He said he wasn't going to . . . he made me do it! O! the injustice of it all! Well, I didn't do it. Outraged doesn't really cover it here. I'll just move on . . .

My husband called the library, shmoozed the lady, got the list of books, returned them, paid the overdue fine ***and got the $55 replacement fee waved!!!!**** They waved the fine for him but not me. They waved the fine. I kept telling them that I'd pay, I was willing to pay, I only felt that it was just that they return the book to me. She wouldn't even consider it. My husband calls her up and she can't wait to serve with a smile and give him everything he asks for.

the makes me mad.

this is how i know I'm really a 4 yo trapped in a woman's body.

:glare:

You don't have to tell me how naughty, selfish, mean, irresponsible, et c. I am. I've heard.

Dh & I are LOL. ROFLOL. *I* am the only person I've ever known to hold books hostage. Insurance, you know.

But you've taught me something important. I'm sending dh to deal w/ this stuff from now on. :lol:

And fwiw, I agree w/ everything you did. Well...except keeping the irrelevant books hostage. That can't end up w/ anything but more injustice, lol.

I'm so glad it's all taken care of for you. (And I hope this doesn't mean I'm really a 4yo, too...?) :001_huh:

My husband and I are both confrontational. However, we're confrontational in entirely different ways.

Example:

He was deployed when we were getting ready to move here. We had to have an overseas medical screening before I could get orders. I had already sold my house and needed a moving date which I could not get until after I finished this process. Our final appointment for this process (and it was a stupid, stupid process, just for the record) was on a Thursday, hubby was coming home on Saturday. So, as I have the final appointment the lady says "great! Now that we have all of the paperwork it will take six weeks to get it back and then you'll have the orders." I was all :confused:!! I told her "I've already sold my house, we are driving away from here in 4 weeks. I have to have orders ASAP, I cannot wait six weeks!" She remained firm in "well, that's how long it takes, I don't know what to tell you." So, on Tuesday hubby went to see her. He refused to talk to her and asked to speak to her supervisor. He had orders in 48 hours.

I don't know how he does it. I'm not afraid of confrontation but I'm much more likely to just call someone an idiot and write them off. He gets them to bend to his will. It's not just military stuff, either, it's everything. He *always* gets out of tickets, I never do (I once got a ticket for going 52 in a 50). Some of us are just too matter of fact, I think.

52 in a 50??? I'd go broke!!!

That is just how it is with my husband. Drives me crazy.

LOL, your story was hilarious!!! But yes, I totally relate. I can be 4 years old very well LOL!

Um, it wouldn't by any chance be just because he did the schmoozing and she, er, didn't?

@OP - Sorry, I can empathize with your outrage, but the image of you being a pirate with princess book hostages is hilarious :lol:

Dh & I are LOL. ROFLOL. *I* am the only person I've ever known to hold books hostage. Insurance, you know.

But you've taught me something important. I'm sending dh to deal w/ this stuff from now on. :lol:

And fwiw, I agree w/ everything you did. Well...except keeping the irrelevant books hostage. That can't end up w/ anything but more injustice, lol.

I'm so glad it's all taken care of for you. (And I hope this doesn't mean I'm really a 4yo, too...?) :001_huh:

Well . . . if you guys think that's funny, you should have gone bra shopping with me yesterday.

I wish I could send my husband to do that for me . . . but then I'd be afraid of what Remudamom would do if she saw him!