Menu

please share what you have used, using or going to use for 1st grade.

hsmom

We are currently using for first grade:

WWE 1

Horizons 1 A & B

Critical Thinking Skills -can't remember which book

MCP Maps

MP's cursive

MP's Intro to Classical Studies

sometimes MP copywork

art- 1 hour a week

drama-45 min a week

Memory Work: VP cards and various stuff from Living Memory

tons of read-a-louds. Everything from Blueberries for Sal to Habibi

I am looking for options here and a little stumped. So, please share.

I keep it relatively simple...focusing on skills....

This year for first grade I am using:

CLE Learn to Read (LOVE IT!)

CLE Math (LOVE IT!!

CLE Language Arts (Just started it. Not too much pressure here)

Ambleside Online Year 1 Literature/History/ Bible (Vos Story Bible) (Aesop, Just So, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Hollings C Hollings D'Aulaire (I read these at bedtime http://www.amblesideonline.org/01bks.shtml )

I just ordered CLP Nature Reader Level K (I want it easy!)

He also sits in on his older siblings SOTW readings, colors the page and does the map, but I don't expect anything from him.

He does lots of art, music, crafts etc. but nothing formal.

He is a bit of a pain in the butt, so I try to keep Math, Phonics and LA as non-negotiable. Everything else is extra.

HTH,

Faithe

Have used:

MFW 1st as written

MFW 1st phonics/bible only with r&s math

Planning to use w/ ds in fall:

MUS Alpha & MM 1

Queen Language Lessons for LO3 & Very Young

Finish Phonics Pathways and begin spelling instruction

With older siblings:

Biblioplan 2

Child's Geography

Science is undecided

Thanks but they both spiral and they are both said to be "advanced"...so I was wondering the differences...

I have used both and I always felt that while they are both advanced, Horizons speed through functions at a faster pace than Abeka. Abeka is more traditional and always seems to present things in a sequential order, rather than spiraling out of control. Horizons has more geometry and is slightly ahead of Abkea. I hope that helps a little, but remember this is just my opinion. Your dc may thrive with Horizons and love the pace/switching around whatever.

Actually, as we are plodding through Abeka in first grade at a snails pace, I am considering pulling out either some unused Horizons or Math Mammoth pdf. for a little variety. (we also use CSMP) :)

I have used both and I always felt that while they are both advanced, Horizons speed through functions at a faster pace than Abeka. Abeka is more traditional and always seems to present things in a sequential order, rather than spiraling out of control. Horizons has more geometry and is slightly ahead of Abkea. I hope that helps a little, but remember this is just my opinion. Your dc may thrive with Horizons and love the pace/switching around whatever.

Actually, as we are plodding through Abeka in first grade at a snails pace, I am considering pulling out either some unused Horizons or Math Mammoth pdf. for a little variety. (we also use CSMP) :)

Yes, that helps! I can't wait to see the A beka when it arrives!:auto:

Thanks but they both spiral and they are both said to be "advanced"...so I was wondering the differences...
The student books are similar, but Horizons does seem to be more advanced. In addition, the Abeka Curriculum Guide has a ton more. There is purely teaching that is reviewing things not on the work book page and their are more suggestions for how to teach things. The Abeka Curriculum Guide is amazing. The Horizons Teacher's Manual is useless.

My opinion of course, but just to look at them there is easily 3 times more material in the Abeka Curriculum Guide.

But after my initial love affair with Abeka, it seems to be lacking in place value... :glare:

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Math - combination of RightStart and Math Mammoth

Language Arts - Ordinary Parents Guide, All About Spelling, Writing with Ease, First Language Lessons

History - Story of the World 1

Science - WTM format life science

Other stuff - memory work, God Made Music, miscellaneous art projects, The Easy French Junior

Sigh. I don't have it all figured out yet. This is what I'm thinking so far.

Moving Beyond the Page 6-8 level - buy the curriculum only and check the books out from the library

History Odyssey Ancients level 1

Caught 'Ya Grammar with a Giggle 1st grade

AAS level 2

Nancy Larson science level 1

Math - Don't know - I am SO sick of Saxon, but we already own it

I'm not totally settled on this, mainly because of price. I shake my fist at the price of MBTP.

We've done some switching mid-year, but here is what it will be the rest of this year.

Bible-Searching for Treasure (character study)

History-Usborne Internet Linked World History, adding in library books and some regular social studies from various resources, notebook pages

Science-RS4K Pre-level 1 Chemistry and Funtastik Frogs Physics books

Math-CLE 2

LA-CLE 1

Reading-BJU 1 and CLE I Wonder

Copywork (mostly bible verses, but some poetry)

Artist and Composer studies, with some notebook pages/narration

Critical Thinking- Mind Benders and Stepping Stones 2

I have one in first grade, and one in kindy.

We use all BJU (DVDs). That said, there are some things that I will be doing differently for next year. Heritage Studies is so utterly boring (unless you plan on doing the enrichment activities - which can take up to an hour depending on how deep you want to dive), that I think we're going to be doing SOTW for history instead.

We just received Greek Alphabet Code Cracker and did our first lesson yesterday. My boys LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! So I think we'll be adding Song School Greek or Song School Latin to the mix as well. I just chose the Greek Alphabet Code Cracker to start with because it was less of an investment. :)

The ones that I have consistently liked and would use again if I had another 1st grader are:

-Explode the Code (favorite of the dozen phonics programs that I've used)

-Math-U-See for just first or Horizons if I understood how to use the blocks and the MUS concept of place value

-catechism for memorization

Other than that I would use any good phonetically based reader that appealed to me and my child--just doesn't matter that much in first; any graded book or material for poetry memorization (google books has them for free), lots and lots of picture books from the library for history, science and just joyful togetherness.

Don't go overboard with 1st grade. It's all about teaching basic skills and developing an interest in the world at that age. They aren't going to remember much of what you teach them at 5 when they are 15.

What I used for first grade:

Learning Language Arts Through Literature for eldest/Sing, Spell, Read and Write for the other two (they needed more entertaining). We also used the Bob Books (love the Bob Books!).

Horizons Math 1 with two of them and Math-U-See with the last one (much better fit).

Story of the World-Ancients and Activity Guide with all of them; it's my favorite thing.

Zaner Bloser handwriting, these books are cheap and work well.

A variety of animal studies and life science experiments, often using Science in a Nutshell kits, We did not do a formal science curriculum at this age, I don't think it's necessary or desirable.

What I used for first grade:

Learning Language Arts Through Literature for eldest/Sing, Spell, Read and Write for the other two (they needed more entertaining). We also used the Bob Books (love the Bob Books!).

Horizons Math 1 with two of them and Math-U-See with the last one (much better fit).

Story of the World-Ancients and Activity Guide with all of them; it's my favorite thing.

Zaner Bloser handwriting, these books are cheap and work well.

A variety of animal studies and life science experiments, often using Science in a Nutshell kits, We did not do a formal science curriculum at this age, I don't think it's necessary or desirable.

I don’t believe in “formal†science curricula at a young age either, but I think it’s in the way that you use it if you do have one. We are very relaxed if we even use a curriculum. (The first half of this year we did not use one.) Now we are using RS4K once a week and it’s only ten weeks long, so it doesn’t have the feel of a regular, complete program. We simply read about science more than anything. Occasional experiments are fun too; sometimes we get on a roll and do more than usual.

The way I use SOTW in the younger years amounts to a very informal study as well.

Actually, not much about our school feel "formal" at this age. If we get tired of something, we use it in a different way. If he doesn't like a book, we find another one...etc.

I don’t believe in “formal†science curricula at a young age either, but I think it’s in the way that you use it if you do have one. We are very relaxed if we even use a curriculum. (The first half of this year we did not use one.) Now we are using RS4K once a week and it’s only ten weeks long, so it doesn’t have the feel of a regular, complete program. We simply read about science more than anything. Occasional experiments are fun too; sometimes we get on a roll and do more than usual.

The way I use SOTW in the younger years amounts to a very informal study as well.

Actually, not much about our school feel "formal" at this age. If we get tired of something, we use it in a different way. If he doesn't like a book, we find another one...etc.

I wasn't trying to knock anyone, really. I have just seen a lot of worry from people whether they are doing "enough," I was just trying to say-it's okay not to have a science curriculum. :D

I wasn't trying to knock anyone, really. I have just seen a lot of worry from people whether they are doing "enough," I was just trying to say-it's okay not to have a science curriculum. :D

You want to know something? I couldn’t even reply to the “what is your first grader going to have completed†thread. My first thought was “not much!†LOL. We use many things and I have no problem listing them, they are my tools. But will we complete everything? Nope. LOL. Come on he’s six. I do make him write, read and do math. Anything else is gravy.

You want to know something? I couldn’t even reply to the “what is your first grader going to have completed†thread. My first thought was “not much!†LOL. We use many things and I have no problem listing them, they are my tools. But will we complete everything? Nope. LOL. Come on he’s six. I do make him write, read and do math. Anything else is gravy.

:iagree:

Here's our schedule

~Bible~

His first read through using "Read and Learn Bible" and Answers Book for Kids Volume 1-4.

~Language Arts ~

Penmanship Italics A & B

First Language Lessons 2 (finish up)

A Child's Garden of Verse

Phonics Pathway Reader (finish up)

Reading Pathways (finish up)

We use PP as an oral spelling text for 1st

~Math~

Math U See Alpha

Singapore Math 1A & 1B Text, workbook

1 Extra Practice & 1 Challenging Word Problems

~History~

SOTW I including additional history and corresponding history found in the AG

Trial and Triumph by Richard Hannula

An Island Story by H.E. Marshall

Fifty Famous Stories Retold by James Baldwin

Viking Tales by Jennie Hall

~Geography~

Paddle to the Sea by Holling C. Holling

Carmen Sandiego CDRom

~Science~

Apologetics Press Early Reader Series

Marvels of Creation Series

Journey Into the Human Body

Magic School Bus series

Sea Creatures series by Ann Herriges (there are 10)

The Burgess Bird Book for Children by Thornton Burgess

The Burgess Animal Book for Children by Thornton Burgess

Life Before Birth

God Made our Bodies

Kids Answers

~Foreign Language~

Nellenart L'Art de Dire French Program (his bro.s are doing the upper level)

~Music~

Piano Lessons

Music for Little Mozart's

~Art & Handiwork~

We tried using "Drawing With Children" which was a flop w/ my older boys... so we'll be doing a hodgepodge.

Sculpey

Origami

Sand Art

Beading

Sewing

Woodworking

How to draw... series

Pencil Drawing

Acrylic Painting

Oil Painting

Watercolor

Days of Creation (watercolor)

~Calender & Weather~

Charts and Calender with a Weather component

Seasons and Weather series Ann Herriges (there are 10)

~Nature Study~

He has a Nature Journal and we take nature walks

Bird of Ohio