Menu

??? Regarding MCT

Dina in Oklahoma

Hello ~

A few questions for those of you using Michael Clay Thompson's language program:

1) Do you use it as a stand alone or in conjuction with another program?

2) If you have used it in combination, which other program and has it been successful? Why/why not?

3) How long have you used it and what levels?

4) What do you like most/least about it?

Thanks!

Dina :001_smile:

Edited by Dina in Oklahoma
MCT Users - Won't you please reply???

The boards are usually slow on Sundays - I'm sure you will get several answers tomorrow.

I have used MCT on and off for five years. I have worked through the first three levels with dd12 and will begin Magic Lens I later this year. Each of the four books (grammar, vocab, poetry, writing) can be used independently, so it depends on what you are looking for. I am currently using only the grammar book with my dd10 and the grammar and writing books with dd12. I think the grammar program is excellent. I've never found anything I like better. The individual books could really be combined with any program - however you want to pull language arts together.

The boards are usually slow on Sundays - I'm sure you will get several answers tomorrow.

I have used MCT on and off for five years. I have worked through the first three levels with dd12 and will begin Magic Lens I later this year. Each of the four books (grammar, vocab, poetry, writing) can be used independently, so it depends on what you are looking for. I am currently using only the grammar book with my dd10 and the grammar and writing books with dd12. I think the grammar program is excellent. I've never found anything I like better. The individual books could really be combined with any program - however you want to pull language arts together.

So am I reading this correctly that you are NOT using the poetry? I have Island level. We've done Sentence Island and Grammar Island and are working through Practice Island. I sat down today and read the Poetry and the Building Language book. It is way more poetry than I want to cover. I'm just not that into it. And I can't visualize how the Building Language actually turns into concrete work. But I have enjoyed the other books.

So am I reading this correctly that you are NOT using the poetry? I have Island level. We've done Sentence Island and Grammar Island and are working through Practice Island. I sat down today and read the Poetry and the Building Language book. It is way more poetry than I want to cover. I'm just not that into it. And I can't visualize how the Building Language actually turns into concrete work. But I have enjoyed the other books.

No, I do not use the poetry books. I used the first two with dd12. The second poetry book is a great deal more work than the first. In order for the poetry books to be useful to me I would need a practice book to accompany them in the same way the grammar books have Practice Island, Practice Town, etc. I found that we just weren't that into poetry either.

The first vocab book is really just an intro book. The rest of the vocabulary books in the program are much more concrete in discussing, memorizing and applying words/stems. Although I like them, we don't use the vocabulary books since we have an online vocabulary program and a child only needs so much vocab work. :D

You'll probably get a lot more replies tomorrow...

We started Grammar Island and Music of the Hemispheres (the poetry book). We're using it together with CLE.

Grammar Island is nice, but I'm actually really impressed with Music of the Hemispheres. My daughter actually got teary one day during one of the Shakespeare passages (no kidding). :tongue_smilie:

I am not planning to use the poetry book either. I have it. We started using the book and ds did not like it at all. We love Grammar Island, Building Language, Sentence Island and Practice Island. On top of that, I am adding editing/language usage workbook. We do not do writing exercises, because ds is taking a writing class.

Hello ~

A few questions for those of you using Michael Clay Thompson's language program:

1) Do you use it as a stand alone or in conjuction with another program?

I use it as my core LA. I will occasionally throw in some other writing stuff, but not because the program is lacking, but because my boys are slow in the writing department, and need some less taxing work as well.

2) If you have used it in combination, which other program and has it been successful? Why/why not?

n/a

3) How long have you used it and what levels?

2nd year, Island level, working through Town level

4) What do you like most/least about it?

I love it. I have gone on and on about it in the past, and I am just not up to it this morning. :) It is whimsical and very simply stated, therefore takes the rigidness out of grammar. It fosters a deeper understanding of the "why and how it got that way" and an appreciation of language.

The think I dislike is the way the TMs are laid out, I wish it was a bit more integrated into the book. Content wise... no problem although, my least favorite book was Building Language.

Thanks!

You can use the books independently (although, if you are going that route, I think that the grammar/writing/practice should be done together) but I would totally agree that the program does the most, works the best etc. if you do it all. It was really written to be done that way, and I am not sure what you might lose if you eliminate a component.

With dislike of poetics books....I think that some people and kids just don't like poetry. I have had to back off on that aspect with my boys, myself. However, I look at the poetry material and say... "I wish I had been taught poetry like this, I would have LOVED it!".

MCT is an aquired taste. It is a very different approach, but a very rewarding one. There are many people who will not *get* it, or think it is not "rigorous" enough, and that is fine. I can't do other programs, if Momma can't figure out the the way to do the lesson (I don't like when teacher text is all over the page, no visuals etc etc) it is not getting done.

Search through all the other relatively recent threads and you should be able to get more answers to your questions. :D

must finish my coffee!

Korin

Edited by radiobrain
whoops

Why would people NOT use the poetry books? They look like the best single component of the whole series :confused:

Bill

Poetry is not a hill to die on. I thought all children loved rhymes. They don't. May be genetic. Kiddo had a granddad who was interested in just about everything in the world but poetry. He liked Poe, and that was it.

Poetry is not a hill to die on. I thought all children loved rhymes. They don't. May be genetic. Kiddo had a granddad who was interested in just about everything in the world but poetry. He liked Poe, and that was it.

Yea, but the thing about the MCT poetry series (unlike anything else I've ever seen) is that it is not all about "rhymes."

It's about assonance, and consonance, and beat, meter (I could go on and on) and it uses real poems rater than always rhyming "kids stuff".

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

We had a great time reading MCT's "Free At Last: The Language of Dr. King's Dream." He used the poetic devices anaphora, metaphor, alliteration, assonance, and meter to make his speech so effective and memorable.

We're just doing that book - it's wonderful! It also has grammar - 4-level analysis on some of the sentences, and vocabulary from the speech - it's like a whole MCT LA mini-course. We started out by listenting to a recording of the actual speech while we read along, and we're finishing it up this week.

I agree that the poetry is a really exceptional part of the program.

I also agree that the books complement and reinforce each other exceedingly well.

I am just a few weeks into Town set and am very impressed.

I think the poetry book would be valuable for any student, even those who aren't really inspired by poetry. It doesn't take a huge amount of time. . . You can expand on what is in the text or minimize it. . . But I think learning to *see* with what care an author can choose their words. . . and what power those choices have. . . is the amazing thing about the poetry book(s).

Learning to see those choices will encourage any writer to be more thoughtful about their own choices.

I definitely think the poetry book(s) are worth the time they require whether or not the parent or student has a particular interest in poetry.

I agree that the poetry is a really exceptional part of the program.

I also agree that the books complement and reinforce each other exceedingly well.

I am just a few weeks into Town set and am very impressed.

I think the poetry book would be valuable for any student, even those who aren't really inspired by poetry. It doesn't take a huge amount of time. . . You can expand on what is in the text or minimize it. . . But I think learning to *see* with what care an author can choose their words. . . and what power those choices have. . . is the amazing thing about the poetry book(s).

Learning to see those choices will encourage any writer to be more thoughtful about their own choices.

I definitely think the poetry book(s) are worth the time they require whether or not the parent or student has a particular interest in poetry.

:iagree: So far I've only gone through Music of the Hemispheres with my youngest - I was really impressed. I'm looking forward to getting to Building Poetry with my older two, which at this point looks like it'll be after I'm done with the rest of the program... It's so totally unlike any other poetry materials we've used.

I do think a taste for poetry has to be acquired, and that won't be done if I throw in the towel. MCT and Mr. Pudewa are just two who stress the importance of poetry in language development and appreciation.

Requiring a bit of memorization and still reading some (and better reciting in the car for kiddo) may not be MCT and IEW, but it isn't throwing it the towel. Just as one can develop at taste for something, one can also cement an aversion.

And not all "have to be developed". I was a poetry lover from a young age.

Why would people NOT use the poetry books? They look like the best single component of the whole series :confused:

Bill

I agree. I've only completely read Building Poetry (Town level), and it really is a marvelous introduction to various elements that go into poetry. (I still have some minor complaints about it, but as a first introduction, I love all that it includes.) I actually bought the Town level package for my younger child this year, but I'm planning to have ds (and the other 6th grader with whom we school part time) read through it with me briefly and take some notes on it as well. (I may still follow up with Whitling's "The Grammar of Poetry" next year...)

I definitely feel like it's the deepest of the MCT books I've read through so far. I think it would be a real shame to skip it!

Building Language has you practice the stems through writing 4 line poems and similies. That is difficult to do if you don't get poetry to begin with.

This is exactly what got us to do Music of the Hemispheres - I realized my dd who had read and memorized tons of poetry, could not do the assignments in Building Language without further information. Meanwhile, we've long since finished MotH, but have yet to get back to Building Langauge... :tongue_smilie:

For me, I never enjoyed poetry, likely because I didn't understand it. I wanted more for my kids. MCT is our approach to poetry.

Same here. Not only have I not enjoyed poetry, but it grates on my nerves. I just don't like it (and I know I don't understand it lol). Like you, I want more for my kids. Just from briefly reading through Building Poems, I'm already more open to studying poetry for my own benefit. Just a few minutes ago I ordered Music of the Hemispheres so we don't miss out on anything :D

Take a look at this thread:

Bill

We have worked with this line (which I told was "accidentally" made this way by the wonderful Whewell. It caused so much hubbub in the book, he changed it for future editions):

Hence no force, however great, can stretch a cord, however fine, into a horizontal line which is accurately straight: there will always be a bending downwards.

Yea, but the thing about the MCT poetry series (unlike anything else I've ever seen) is that it is not all about "rhymes."

It's about assonance, and consonance, and beat, meter (I could go on and on) and it uses real poems rater than always rhyming "kids stuff".

Bill

You should take a look at Classical Writing Poetry. It's definitely not 'all about rhymes'.

Heather

Hello ~

1) Do you use it as a stand alone or in conjuction with another program? I use only MCT for grammar and vocabulary. For poetry and writing I use other supporting materials. I do not use a spelling program.

2) If you have used it in combination, which other program and has it been successful? Why/why not? My favorite supplement is Lightning Literature to support both the writing and poetry components. This is a program I had used in previous years for a combination of literary analysis and writing. My kids voted it a "keeper." I use copy work and dictation of my choice on a weekly basis and Unjournaling on Fridays. There are other programs I use pieces of because that's the way I am wired.

3) How long have you used it and what levels? I have used MCT since the first part of September last year. My 6th grader uses the Voyage level although we just did a quick run through of Paragraph Town. My 9th grader just started after schooling work in one of the secondary levels.

4) What do you like most/least about it? I appreciate the program's conciseness, intelligence, and elegance. I like how each component builds on and supports the other. My youngest, the math and science guy, is excited about language for the first time. The poetry books have given me new-found favorites that I use for my own copywork. We "see" the intricacies and beauty of language everywhere. Sadly, I thought time had stripped that ability away from me. My teens have overheard discussions about the literature presented in the books and have chosen freely to explore them on their own. I will not promise you that MCT will cure what ails you in the LA department. I can only share how it works for my family.

What I don't like is my continuing inability to adapt and to adopt the writing portion to make it our own. Intuitively, I believe there is a logical, practical wisdom in focusing on sentences one year, paragraphs the next, essays, research papers and so on. I want to trust but years of ps and private schooling make me believe that one has to cover everything each year.

Thanks!

Dina, I hope this helps. Good luck sorting through all the MCT threads.:tongue_smilie: