Menu

what topics did you cover in 1st grade science?

GaHadley

We loosely followed WTM for Science for 1st. For animals, I did not have a spine that I liked, so we did several different things. We started with Classification. We started by dividing things around the house into groups (much like described in WTM) then did some workbook pages from a workbook that I had on classification. Then we read from the Kingfisher encyclopedia of animals about classification and divided toy animals up into groups. We discussed invertebrates and vertebrates, and after that we studied different animals from library books. We did study some habitats along with the animals. The notebook we made tied it together.

For human body, we used the Usborne 1st encyclopedia of human body and used it's layouts for topics. We did the different body systems, germs, reproduction, and many others. This was by far our most in depth study for the year, because it was all material we hadn't studied before. We spent a lot of time in K on plants and animals. We enhanced w/library books and experiments from those and online worksheets and games on the topics.

For plants, we used chapters from Rod and Staff's 2nd grade science. We did the chapters on trees and wildflowers, plus nature walks identifying trees and plants, started a garden and compost, leaf rubbings, etc. We also read lots of books on plants from the library.

Then because I wasn't completely happy w/the animal study we had done, we did another chapter about insects over the summer from R&S. :)

I'm planning to use Elemental Science for structure, as Paige seems to have done a fantastic job implementing the Well-Trained Mind principles. Why reinvent the wheel? :D

That said, I've poured over various elementary life science/biology curriculums, just to see what they cover and in what order, because I have a need to tweak. I'd suggest looking at a few, just to see if that gives you a jumping off point for your own scheduling. Off the top of my head, I'd say that Elemental Science and NOEO cover those same areas of life science. RS4K, though often controversial on the boards, is another place to look for scope, though I'm not sure if it covers the human body. Additionally, Mr. Q has a free biology curriculum available. It's scope seems bigger, but it also covers plants, animals, and the human body all three.

Finally, I'm toying with adding in some of the kits from the Young Scientists Club.

Basically, I can't give you an answer yet, as 1st is next year, but there are certainly lots (and lots, and LOTS) of ways to do it. Hope you figure out a plan that works well for you! :001_smile:

Animal and plant defenses.

Mechanisms of eating (hunting and fangs and claws vs baleen and filter feeding).

I showed kiddo the David Attenborough tapes Trials of Life, Life On Earth ,Private Life of Plants, and the Life Of series (life of birds, life in cold blood, life in the freezer, etc) and what ever really made his eye shine...that is what we studied.

I broke up our Zoology study into 6 different categories. Mammals, fish, birds, reptiles, amphibians and insects. Then I chose animals for each to study. So if your year is based on 36 weeks, that would be 3 weeks for each category. We are using the Kingfisher First Animal Encyclopedia, The Usborne Complete First Book of Nature and many, many library books.

We took more than 9 weeks for Anatomy. We used My Body, the Usborne 1st Encyclopedia of the Human Body and the Usborne Flip-Flap Body book. We just finished and ds loved it.

For Botany we learned more about the trees, flowers and plants we had in our own backyard. We also had a garden growing at the time. So he was able to plant and measure the growth. We planted a couple of herbs that we kept inside on one of the window sills. We used the Usborne Complete First Book of Nature sections on Trees and Flowers and many different library books.

I used the internet to print out pictures to color. I would just google what I was looking for, ex: "flower parts coloring page", and choose the one that would work best for us. Then we write his narration on the coloring page. He also has fun taking pictures of what we do. I of course take some of him "in action". All of the pictures will be put on a CD, that way he has something he can go back and look at. I will print some out to put in our notebook.

We have enjoyed science this year. Have fun with it.

One thing that really has worked with us so far this year with WTM first grade science has been to simply have my sons let me know what animal or body part they would like to know more about and just read some books about it and look for info. or short videos on the web. Kids National Geographics online is an excellent source. We just began the human body and yesterday we talked about the skeleton and I found a cute kid friendly song on youtube about the names of the bones. Very simple and fun.

Science is what I feel the most guilty about, since that seems to always get skipped over. I have at least 3 science curriculums that seem fantastic, sitting on my shelf. The seem multi-level, so I'm hoping to still get some use out of them!

Anyway, because we aren't doing anything hardcore, here's what's worked best for us:

CLE Science 1 for the 1st grader (obviously) It's good, because he can read well, and each lesson is pretty short. Some reading, with a page or 2 of activities-matching, word search, coloring page-that go along with it.

Dd also uses CLE Science 2, which she loves, because hers is all about animals.

We also read a lot of non-fiction read alouds on different subjects. I usually pick something they are interested in, and we'll do a mini unit on it (volcanos, weather, hibernation, etc..). Sometimes I find activites/crafts that go along with it, and sometimes we do a lapbook.

It's the experiments that we are really lacking in, but maybe this summer.

I think the thing I first had to get over was the idea of trying to completely "do" a topic. I had it in my head we'd do one animal from each major category, for example. But then I realized it's really more about doing waht interests him and having fun than doing "zoology".

For animals we picked an animal each week,usually I let ds choose which one. We'd read from the Kingfisher Encycolopedia and get non-fiction books out. Lots of Discovery/Bill Nye videos. I made a big classification chart and each week we'd add our animal to it. Each week he'd make a notebook page with five facts he learned and draw a picture, sometimes I used Draw Write Now for those. We started at the beginning of the summer so ended up doing more than 12 weeks, but that was because of a high interest level on his part. We went on a bunch of field trips (nature centers, zoo, petting zoo, local farm, etc). We dissected a squid...you can find instructions online and we got the squid at the local Asian market.

Then we used One Small Square and read one book a week and talked about that habitat. Similar format to the animal study. Vidoes that went along (Planet Earth is great for that). Did a notebook page each week with a picture. Continued to add new animals to classification chart.

We're doing Human Body now. First we're doing the My Body book and are working on making the life-size poster using a tracing of ds. I have several magic school bus books and will get other books out of the library. I have two Magic School Bus experiment kids (Germs and Body) but haven't opened those yet.

For plants I have the book WTM recommended, can't remember the name. I plan on doing it in the spring and doing a lot of nature study, walks and gardening.

I think the thing I first had to get over was the idea of trying to completely "do" a topic. I had it in my head we'd do one animal from each major category, for example. But then I realized it's really more about doing waht interests him and having fun than doing "zoology".

You know, this is such an excellent point, and a great reminder! :iagree: Actually, it's what SWB suggests considering--allowing the child to make a list of 20 or so animals to study. I know I want to add some experiments and other fun stuff in, just because we've already done a lot of animal study, but I'm going to try to keep your comment always in the front of my mind. Her interests, her interests, her interests...thank you!

I would love to see a picture or hear more about how you did your classification chart!

For animals we picked an animal each week,usually I let ds choose which one. We'd read from the Kingfisher Encycolopedia and get non-fiction books out. Lots of Discovery/Bill Nye videos. I made a big classification chart and each week we'd add our animal to it. Each week he'd make a notebook page with five facts he learned and draw a picture, sometimes I used Draw Write Now for those. We started at the beginning of the summer so ended up doing more than 12 weeks, but that was because of a high interest level on his part. We went on a bunch of field trips (nature centers, zoo, petting zoo, local farm, etc). We dissected a squid...you can find instructions online and we got the squid at the local Asian market.

Then we used One Small Square and read one book a week and talked about that habitat. Similar format to the animal study. Vidoes that went along (Planet Earth is great for that). Did a notebook page each week with a picture. Continued to add new animals to classification chart.

We're doing Human Body now. First we're doing the My Body book and are working on making the life-size poster using a tracing of ds. I have several magic school bus books and will get other books out of the library. I have two Magic School Bus experiment kids (Germs and Body) but haven't opened those yet.

For plants I have the book WTM recommended, can't remember the name. I plan on doing it in the spring and doing a lot of nature study, walks and gardening.

We read out of Kingfisher's Animal Encyclopedia and studied animals and their habitats (TWTM recommends using this resource). We talked about what makes a mammal and why animals live where they do. Oh, and we covered food chains.

Now we're covering the Human Body using Considering God's Creation. If you wanted, you could use CGC for the entire year. Just skip the Astronomy and Earth Science Section (we used those in 2nd grade :D). I like their Human body section a lot. They learn about the systems of the body and how they work together. I have the Reader's Digest book, How the Body Works so we read from that.

We did Botany using Apologia last year so I'm not covering that this year.

As for insects, I read Charlotte's Web to my 1st graders (did it with my oldest too), and do a unit study with it. That way, I cover insects and spiders in a fun way. My kids aren't interested in studying insects otherwise. If they were, I'd use Apologia's Flying Creatures of the 5th Day My oldest did the first half of it this year while I was doing animals with my youngest. When we got to the insects, they rebelled:lol: That's when I switched to the human body. You could also do an insect study using Eric Carle books. I just love him! Read, The Very Grouchy Ladybug and check a book out about ladybugs. Then, buy the ladybug habitat from Insectlore and observe it. Same with The Very Hungry Caterpillar. The Magic Schoolbus covers Bees and they have a video that talks about it too.

HTH!

Blessings!

Dorinda

Science has really gotten short shrift with us this year, and I taught jr. high science for 11 years. I think there are several reasons:

1) I taught jr. high science for 11 years (think teaching Newton's Three Laws with baking soda/vinegar powered boats) and now first grade science is... well, boring.

2) I've been trying to get history under control and that's taken up all my time.

3) I haven't found a curriculum I've liked (we're doing A Beka now. The boys actually enjoy it, so that's what we do)

I'm hoping next year to do better, hence my Apologia question last night.

This was in outline form, but when I copied and pasted the formatting went kaput. Let me know if you would like this in the original form.

1. Categorization

2. Living vs. Non-living

3. Biomes

4. Animal Studies

a. Invertebrates

i. Sponges

ii. Mollusks

iii. Echinoderms

iv. Arthropods

1. Crustaceans

2. Insects

3. Arachnids

b. Vertebrates

i. Fishes:

1. Cartilaginous

a. Sharks, Skates, Rays

2. Bony Fish

ii. Amphibians

1. Frogs and Toads

2. Newts and Salamanders

iii. Reptiles

1. Snakes

2. Turtles

3. Lizards

4. Crocodiles

iv. Birds

v. Mammals

1. Rodents

2. Egg-laying

3. Marsupials

4. Bats

5. Cetaceans

a. Baleen and toothed whales

6. Hoofed mammals

7. Carnivores

8. Elephants

9. Non-human primates

10. Humans

a. Senses

i. Touch

ii. Taste

iii. Smell

iv. Hearing

v. Sight

b. Musculoskeletal system

c. Cardiovascular system

d. Digestive system

5. Plant Studies

a. Fungi

b. Ferns and Mosses

c. Monocots

d. Dicots

So far I have only finished up my invertebrate lesson plans. I have the DK Animal book and I plan on picking a few animals from each category to look at that we haven't really talked about very much.

HTH a little,

Christina

Edited by cmarango
formatting was a mess