Menu

having a hard time finding books for my son to read

Cranberry

He's 6.5. Reading at a higher level. He has devoured all the Magic Tree house books and Merlin mysteries. We have plenty of read-alouds. I'm just having a hard time finding chapter books that he is really into. Just got one about Balto that he loves. He really enjoys history, historical fiction. Tried the Boxcar children and wasn't into them. Tried E.B. White, not a fan either. Although enjoyed the books in read-aloud. Already did My Father's Dragon Series. Also finished the Narnia series too.

I wasn't keen on the kitchen table knights series, seemed like a lot of bad attitude and sibling stuff with the main characters.

We're having some issues with acting out aggressive scenes and stories on his younger brother, so wanting to take a step back from things like that. He does like knights and adventure.

I would just like to find more things for him to read in his free time. He can devour a MTH book in one afternoon sitting, to get an idea of his level.

Any ideas? I find it so difficult to find things that are at his reading level but also appropriate for his maturity.

My son is similar--he can read MTH in one sitting--so we're having to hit the library a lot.

he liked Mouse and the Motorcycle and the two sequels. Lately he's been into Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys big time--we check them out at the library and they ought to keep him busy for a while-- Bobbsey twins too, but the library doesn't have many of those.

Carolyn Haywood "Eddie" books were a hit. He's just now getting into Beverley Cleary's books other than the ones about Ralph; they're a little higher (Ramona, Henry Huggins, etc) but he likes them a lot.

We found a series called "Herbie Jones" that he has liked.

Betsy

He's 6.5. Reading at a higher level. He has devoured all the Magic Tree house books and Merlin mysteries. We have plenty of read-alouds. I'm just having a hard time finding chapter books that he is really into. Just got one about Balto that he loves. He really enjoys history, historical fiction. Tried the Boxcar children and wasn't into them. Tried E.B. White, not a fan either. Although enjoyed the books in read-aloud. Already did My Father's Dragon Series. Also finished the Narnia series too.

I wasn't keen on the kitchen table knights series, seemed like a lot of bad attitude and sibling stuff with the main characters.

We're having some issues with acting out aggressive scenes and stories on his younger brother, so wanting to take a step back from things like that. He does like knights and adventure.

I would just like to find more things for him to read in his free time. He can devour a MTH book in one afternoon sitting, to get an idea of his level.

Any ideas? I find it so difficult to find things that are at his reading level but also appropriate for his maturity.

My son went through this stage. One thing that helps while you're waiting for him to be ready for harder chapter books is to get harder picture books for him to read out of the library. Lots of picture books are written at a pretty high level because they're expecting and adult to read them to a child. So even though the books my son was reading were at the same level as things like Stuart Little and LWW, he felt as though they were more accessible because they were picture books.

How about the Oz books? I loved them growing up, and I think they are pretty gender neutral. Lloyd Alexander might be a good fit, as well. Jenny Nimmo's Charlie Bone series looks daunting because the books are large, but the reading level is not too difficult and the text is large enough for a younger reader. Also, Margaret Hodges has some beautifully illustrated retellings of Arthurian legend that we really enjoyed here. HTH.