Menu

Too Cold Outside for a Cat? WWYD?

Should/ can a cat be outside when it's cold?

I live in the suburbs of Cincinnati. Some small woods nearby. Some houses around with small properties, some 1.5 acres. A cat has been hanging out around our house/ neighborhood for about the past 2 months. No collar. Not sure if she is stray or belongs to someone. But, I am seeing her everynight. (OK, CONESSION - I gave her warm milk and salmon). She doesn't look matted, tangled or skinny. She is a long haired, REALLY AFFECTIONATE cat. It is COLD here. 20 F w/ windchill down to 8 F. It's been cold past couple days and prediction is continued cold and 3" snow on Thursday.

What would you do? I feel SO sorry for her. My husband says leave her alone. I think it's too cold for her (we can't take her in... allergies). Am I just a sucker for a cute cat who meows at you? Is she OK outside or should I try to rehome her... whether she belongs to someone or not?

KB

Well if you feed her, you're adopting her. We're just north of you, and our outdoor cats are fine. Your emotions are playing with you. If she were cold, she'd find a place to go. We put straw in the doghouse and the cats sleep with the dog. If it really worries you, you can put out a box with blankets in it. But again, that's telling the cat you want her to stay. If she were hungry or cold, she'd look like it and do something about it. This cat sounds like she enjoys many benefactors. :)

Our short hair cat's personal temperature cut off is about zero degrees. Any colder than that and he refuses to stay out. If this is a long hair cat that is used to the cold, 8F probably is reasonable.

But since I am a sucker for a cute cat too, I would probably be feeding it and would soon own another cat :) If that's not an option for you, don't feed it.;)

OK, I get the message. After trying to "save" birds we've learned they are better left alone. Seems that all of nature - whether pet or wild is better left alone. Guess I'm just attracted to cute and rescuing others.

I suppose I should have caugt on to the fact that I don't see her during most of the day. Just at night when I tend to take the dog out one last time, feel really sorry for her and sneak her a little something. I'm thinking I was outsmarted by a cat. She's figured out the schedule.

KB

Should/ can a cat be outside when it's cold?

I live in the suburbs of Cincinnati. Some small woods nearby. Some houses around with small properties, some 1.5 acres. A cat has been hanging out around our house/ neighborhood for about the past 2 months. No collar. Not sure if she is stray or belongs to someone. But, I am seeing her everynight. (OK, CONESSION - I gave her warm milk and salmon). She doesn't look matted, tangled or skinny. She is a long haired, REALLY AFFECTIONATE cat. It is COLD here. 20 F w/ windchill down to 8 F. It's been cold past couple days and prediction is continued cold and 3" snow on Thursday.

What would you do? I feel SO sorry for her. My husband says leave her alone. I think it's too cold for her (we can't take her in... allergies). Am I just a sucker for a cute cat who meows at you? Is she OK outside or should I try to rehome her... whether she belongs to someone or not?

KB

I agree with the pp who said if you fed it, it's yours. :D I know you're just being sweet to her. She's probably irresistible. Cats can be like that!

As to your question: no. I don't think that's too cold. It's uncomfortable, but not dangerous. My guess is that she's got a warm place to sleep. She is just choosing to be with you because... well, you're being so sweet to her!

If it really, really bothers you and you want to provide something for her, you could consider a small doghouse with a heat lamp. You would need to get a real heat lamp (with a safety cage) and use a bulb for heat lamps, though. Safety first, eh? However, other things might decide to make a home there, too. I don't know what your neighbourhood is like for critters, so consider that.

You might start asking around the neighbourhood to see if others know this cat. It's possible she belongs to someone who lets her out at night. It's also possible other people are giving her tidbits and treats, too. If you simply cannot find anyone who knows this cat and are sure it doesn't belong to someone, then you might consider locating a home for her. Please, make sure she isn't someone's little beloved first, though.

Yikes. I would definitely bring her in. Even though others leave domestic animals out in cold weather -- weather that they're not bred to endure -- it doesn't make it the right thing to do.

On top of it, the domestic animals have been bred to be part of family life and then we leave them in the cold. I don't think it's right. If they're wild animals that are scared of humans, that's different, but domestic animals deserve our protection.

Alley

I agree with the pp who said if you fed it, it's yours. :D I know you're just being sweet to her. She's probably irresistible. Cats can be like that!

Yep. The last stray cat we fed...is now 7.5 years old and laying on my side of the bed at the moment!

Now *that's* funny!

jeri

whose cat is with her parents instead of with us in Germany

Yeah, I forgot to mention that it wasn't really me feeding the cat, but dh, even after many warnings from me that she would keep coming back. :glare:

She rewards me by being defiant. 3995ff7b7e80__1262731863000.jpeg?th=145&tw=216&s=true

I agree with the poster who says to bring him/her in. This is a domesticated animal and is probably not used to being outside. I've always wondered why people who live in cold climates keep their animals outside (or extremely hot climates). It's not fair to them and it certainly isn't very nice. I know I'm going to get flamed for my point of view but really that's how I feel. We have horses, cats and dogs and while we can't bring the horses inside I feel so badly for them even though they're nicely bundled in warm blankets. These animals are my responsibility and have been since the day I took them on so I feel like, if they can come in the house, they need to in extreme weather.

As for the OP and her dilemma, I would find a place in my garage or shed or something and make it very warm and comfy for the cat. If it is homeless then he/she will have a nice, warm, safe place to live (and not get run over by a huge snowplow) and if it's not homeless then he/she can come and go as it pleases.

I'm with Audrey--make her a protected area and give her a heat lamp.

We got a fairly young kitten from the shelter just before the weather got seriously cold. We couldn't bring her inside, so we put a dog crate on the porch, filled it with old towels, and attached the heat light we use when we are brooding chicks. We joke that we are unsure whether the kitten will bark first or grow feathers!:001_smile:

In the past, we didn't use a lamp for the adult cats and they did fine as long as they had hay or a towel box to bed down in. However, since this kitty was quite young and also new, I wanted to baby her a bit. She seems to love the heat lamp and will spend hours basking in the warmth every day.

I got mine at a Tractor Supply Co. store. I know they have them over in the Warren County area, and maybe even closer to your location. It wasn't expensive, I'm remembering around $15 for the lamp base and the bulb. HTH

I agree with the poster who says to bring him/her in.

I never answered the question, but :iagree:. I see nothing wrong with creating a place for the cat outside as some have suggested, especially since there are allergy issues. There have been plenty of suggestions of how to create a warm, protected, outside place to sleep. My cat is mostly an inside cat anyway. My dogs are mostly outside, but when it's cold, they come inside in a crate. That leaves their nice, padded & pillowed doghouse for others to sleep in :lol:. My dogs are just small and spoiled. (I know someone's cat has slept in that house at least once as it left footprints in the snow ;).)

Straw bales can be stacked to make a nice little home. Having said that I must confess that our latest stray is in the garage. We even had a chance to give him away, but the kids and grandma cried. I guess he's no longer a stray. If I was single I'd definitely be the crazy cat lady--rather against my will as my husband is the one that keeps bringing them home. Staw is a wonderful tool for keeping animals warm and around here it's only about 3-4 dollars a bale.

Tori

I'm with Audrey--make her a protected area and give her a heat lamp.

:iagree: But be prepared for it not to stay at the place you have prepared. If it has a home it will probably head that way.

I've got two cats and live in northern Maine. Gilbert (neutered) will go outside every day for a little while. Even during the worst weather. There really is no keeping him in. He gets loud and obnoxious if he isn't let out when he wants to go. He might be out 5 minutes to do his business or an hour.

Prissy on the other hand won't even look at the door if it is below freezing.

How is the animal acting? Is it trying to get into the house or being more aloof, just being friendly but leaving once it gets its snack?

If the animal seems stressed, seems like it is trying to make a home at your house, seems like it is truly a stray...then make it a cozy spot, but don't expect it to stay there. I would start simple and put it a box with some warm fabric (old blanket, sweatshirt etc) and see how it reacts.

If the animal is happy, seems fed, seems like it is being cared for by someone...it probably is, and is just using you for a late night snack bar. A lot of people let animals out in the evening for a bit before bed, so it may just be coming by for a visit. Lack of a collar doesn't mean much, I know people who think collars are cruel.

Cats are usually small enough to crawl into a warm spot under a house, or at least up off the ground, so they are less susceptible to the cold than a dog.

We had a cat show up on our doorstep back in April. He decided he liked us and kept coming back. Dh has breathing issues with cats so we only allow him in the garage and gave him a cat door to get in and out. We had temps in the teens and below about three weeks ago so we bought the cat an electric blanket. He's always slept with a blanket on a crate so we just added the heating blanket to the top and he does just fine.

It was actually quite funny one night. Temps got back up in the low 30's and we found the cat sleeping on the cold concrete floor. Animals can take a lot more than some are willing to give credit. ;)

I'd feed it and let it go. Obviously it's already got a warm spot; you're just a detour on the way. We're feeding a stray currently. It won't let me pet it or even get close, so I'm 100% sure it's a stray. We call it Darwin :D It's nasty-cold outside right now, but he'll still come up once in a while and have a good meal on the front porch and then head off again. I'd worry except we live in a rural area and everyone's got tons of hay in their barns/sheds right now, and he IS keeping the rodent population out of my house, so I'll feed him as long as he keeps doing his job!

Well, in my area, all outdoor cats have to have ID - collar, tattoo or chip & must be spayed/neutered.

I know all the outdoor cats in my neighbourhood. If a new one appeared (as it has happened) I catch it - luckily they've been friendly enough to grab. If a collar & tag are on, I call the owners. And tell them I see coyotes about 3 times a week & remind them to keep their cats indoors, esp overnight.

If it had no ph #, I'd take to the shelter to be checked for tattoo & microchip. If it wasn't approachable, I'd borrow a trap.

Just because they CAN survive in the harsh elements, does not mean we should leave them to it. We people can survive an awful lot of cold weather too but we don't just purposely leave people out there if we can help it.

I found a dead cat with no obvious signs of injury on my property after the snow melt last year. Unidentifiable by then...... it had been partly in water in the creek..... :-(

Any stray that is kept or taken to a shelter should be posted on the free classifieds/craigslist etc. Cats when spooked can travel very far & it might be lost from miles away with owners looking for it.

It is nice to keep it if you can but just make sure nobody is looking for it. And then spay/neuter + tattoo + chip AND put a breakaway collar with ID on it. I use these beastie bands collars + flat tags from Boomerang Tags.