Menu

Note to self

that's too bad because I always ask buyers to do it that way so I don't get charged...now what should honest sellers do???

I ask others to use the personal option to save fees too but if they are not comfortable with that then they pay the extra fees. I leave it up to the buyer if they want that "insurance".

Gina

• 2 weeks later...
When you buy a used curriculum never pay through Pay Pal Personal option.

If you get a dishonest seller, you can't even dispute. :angry:

I'm out of $26

Ugh, that's terrible, I'm sorry. Unfortunately, it's posts like this (and my own paranoia) that have kept me from making too many used purchases. In fact, I think I've only ever made 1 over the internet and that was because I REALLY wanted the book. I continue to buy new because *for me* it's less of a risk.

Now, I know many, MANY people have had wonderful experiences purchasing used curriculum, especially from these boards, but I'm still leery of it myself.

Yep, same thing has happened to me....I'm out $58!!! And now still need to buy my son's math, like, um, NOW.

It's been 4 weeks, no items, and the big thing is, absolutely NO response from the seller, from PM's and message to her private email. Can't dispute via Paypal because it was a Personal Transaction.

Avoid buying anything from DinoMom. When I look at her past posts, she sold alot, up until the last thing I bought from her. Now the odd thing is, on siggie, she lists young children, but what I bought from her was Videottext Algebra, and I see she has posted other things for much older grades. So apparently she is was just in the business of reselling.

So two things I promise myself to ALWAYS do, well three:

1. Check the history of the seller, and feedback.

2. Leave feedback from anyone I bought from...for future buyers...apparently many don't do this...I only have one and I have sold many things here.

3. Not doing Personal Paypal anymore, even if I pay the extra fee myself.

$58 hurts...hurts alot! I had to sell quite myself to come up with that :(.

K

When you buy a used curriculum never pay through Pay Pal Personal option.

If you get a dishonest seller, you can't even dispute. :angry:

I'm out of $26

If you used a credit card you may still be able to dispute it that way....but be aware that some people have reported that Paypal has closed down their account for disputing a charge through their credit card company. Though this new policy of Paypal's is making many people glad to close their account.

It's the seller's way of not having to pay fees, but it doesn't seem to be made clear to the buyer that saving the seller a couple dollars in fees, though a wonderful gesture on your part, costs you the right to dispute it because "it's personal not business".

I have not had this happen to me, but I'll say that the first time Paypal allows someone to rip me off, will be the last time Paypal receives my business. And I'd file the dispute in a New York Minute.

And yes, I do understand WHY Paypal does this...because when you dispute through the credit card company the fees are reversed on paypal, not the seller.....so if paypal can't collect back from the seller then PAYPAL is out of luck. Gee, you think they'd understand how unfair that is.

Personal opinion....paypal and ebay are getting much closer to being about 50% honest and 50% dishonest users. Problem is you can't tell the difference until it's too late.

:confused:

I mentioned that a while back, about not having the buyer/seller protection when the personal option is used; but someone corrected me and said they had called paypal and were told that protection is offered on personal transactions.

So, what happened to that???

Personally, I prefer the regular way, fees and all; just for the convenience of having the address already there and all I have to do is enter the package weight.... :tongue_smilie:

:confused:

I mentioned that a while back, about not having the buyer/seller protection when the personal option is used; but someone corrected me and said they had called paypal and were told that protection is offered on personal transactions.

So, what happened to that???

They lied?

Paypal doesn't offer protection when you use the personal option and I have never known them to say they do. I buy almost everything used. I've never been burned yet, but I won't use a personal paypal.

Like Bosket, I use a multistep process of checking out sellers. I look at feedback. I won't buy from someone unless they have been on the boards awhile, have feedback and when I look through their posts, it makes sense that they would have what they are selling. Even after all that I won't use personal, even if they want me to pay extra to cover the fees.

There is always a risk in buying used, but you can minimize it. I save hundreds of dollars each year. Even if I do get burned eventually (its inevitable, I suppose), the savings covers it.

They lied?

Paypal doesn't offer protection when you use the personal option and I have never known them to say they do. I buy almost everything used. I've never been burned yet, but I won't use a personal paypal.

At least two people posted that they called Paypal and the reps said that dispute is available even if we use the personal option. :001_huh:

At least two people posted that they called Paypal and the reps said that dispute is available even if we use the personal option. :001_huh:

Their own written policies say the opposite. I would assume that the reps at the 800 number just didn't understand the new policies yet or didn't understand the question.

I also wanted to point out that people in that thread also said that the new fees were on top of the old fees, which was not true. I have a Premier account and can actually receive non-credit card funded money for free now instead of paying fees on everything that comes in.

The best place for information on PayPal policies are their written policies.

13.5.a What is the PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy?

It is PayPal’s process to help you resolve a problem directly with the seller through the PayPal Resolution Center for purchases that are not eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

The PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy is similar to PayPal Buyer Protection in that it enables buyers to file Disputes for Items Not Received (INR), or for items that are Significantly Not as Described (SNAD). By filing a Dispute, you can communicate with the seller and attempt to resolve the problem. If you are unable to resolve the problem, you may escalate an Item Not Receive (INR) Dispute to a Claim – but you may not escalate a Significantly Not as Described Dispute to a Claim.You may not file a dispute for a Personal Payment.

Even though you may escalate an Item Not Received Dispute to a Claim, you are not guaranteed recovery. If the Claim is decided in your favor, your recovery is limited to the amounts that PayPal can recover from the seller’s Account.

I also wanted to point out that people in that thread also said that the new fees were on top of the old fees, which was not true. I have a Premier account and can actually receive non-credit card funded money for free now instead of paying fees on everything that comes in.

Really?? Cool! When did they change it? I have a Premier acct too and the last time I used it (last spring) I was getting charged for everything! I quit using it.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Huh, I have a personal account and I now have to pay fees to receive non-cc payments. $5.67 on a single non-cc sale this week.

Edited by LizzyBee

Their own written policies say the opposite. I would assume that the reps at the 800 number just didn't understand the new policies yet or didn't understand the question.

I agree, but it doesn't seem fair that people called to clarify the policy, the company gave them incorrect info, and now people are out their money with no recourse.

Huh, I have a personal account and I now have to pay fees to receive non-cc payments. $5.67 on a single non-cc sale this week.

Right. It was bad for those with a personal account and good for those with a Premier account. $5.67? Was it a $150-200 sale? I pay 2.9%+ $.35 per transaction. The highest fee I have paid in the past year was $3.20 on a $100.00 sale.

I agree, but it doesn't seem fair that people called to clarify the policy, the company gave them incorrect info, and now people are out their money with no recourse.

It is too bad. I would be very upset if I had called PayPal and they told me that directly and then I lost money because they were wrong. What is it Clark Howard calls it? Customer No Service?:tongue_smilie:

ETA: To clarify - I can receive money under the Personal option without fees.

Right. It was bad for those with a personal account and good for those with a Premier account. $5.67? Was it a $150-200 sale? I pay 2.9%+ $.35 per transaction. The highest fee I have paid in the past year was $3.20 on a $100.00 sale.

It is too bad. I would be very upset if I had called PayPal and they told me that directly and then I lost money because they were wrong. What is it Clark Howard calls it? Customer No Service?:tongue_smilie:

ETA: To clarify - I can receive money under the Personal option without fees.

Oh, I thought you meant you could get money for goods without paying fees. I had to go look at Paypal policies to see how the fees are calculated - they took 2.9% + $.30 from my sale. It was Barton Level 1, so yeah, the amount was close to $200. I actually don't mind paying the fee - I think paypal makes internet transactions easy.

I'd like to make sure I just handled my transaction correctly. The seller requested that I use the personal option to avoid fees, but due to these threads, I wasn't comfortable with that. So once we agreed on a price, I entered my payment as "goods" but I added the 2.9% + .30 to the price I paid. This will keep it a goods transaction that I can dispute if needed, but pays her for the fees. I didn't see a specific button that charged me for the fees. Did I do all that right?

I'd like to make sure I just handled my transaction correctly. The seller requested that I use the personal option to avoid fees, but due to these threads, I wasn't comfortable with that. So once we agreed on a price, I entered my payment as "goods" but I added the 2.9% + .30 to the price I paid. This will keep it a goods transaction that I can dispute if needed, but pays her for the fees. I didn't see a specific button that charged me for the fees. Did I do all that right?

Bumping to ask this question... Did I do the above correctly? The seller has not responded to my pm, but it was just last night. Please tell me if I did this correctly. My season for piecing together materials for next year is upon me and I want to be able to buy online to get good deals - but do it right for both seller and myself.

Well, what do you know! I received the book today.

The seller never answered my PMs or emails, but she did send the item a week ago.

I apologize for leaving a negative feedback :chillpill:, but still wish that she would maintain communication.