Menu

Music camps? Any experience? (Xpost on curriculum board)

I'm looking for a 2010 summer music camp for my 16yo son--preferably with opportunities for percussion, theory and composition. We were looking at the Eastern U.S. Music Camp at Colgate, and also at the International Music Camp in North Dakota. I don't know anything about either. :confused: Anybody with experience? Or another camp to recommend? (Preferably one in the eastern half of the U.S.--I'm not too sure about the whole North Dakota thing.)

Any help much appreciated!

SWB

I don't know about either of those, but my son attended the music camp at St. Olaf this last summer, and loved it. I heard the words "awesome!" and "St. Olaf" about a million times a day for weeks afterward. He took individual classes in conducting, theory and composition. There were other classes available to choose from, as well. It was only a week-long camp -- I know there are longer ones -- but we wanted him to be able to check out the school, so we had other motives. :D

Is Michigan too far west? Interlochen is the premier camp, six weeks, I think:

http://camp.interlochen.org/

I work in the music department at a college (but on the west coast), and will ask around.

ETA: Looks like there is a percussion institute at Interlochen. (Spendy!)

http://camp.interlochen.org/program/percussion-institute

Edited by Nicole M

My son attended Blue Lake in Michigan this past summer. He was 16 and had a wonderful time. He plays violin and cello and auditioned for the advanced orchestra. It was 10 days long and only cost us $340 plus airfare because his teacher had been offered a scholarship. The original price was less than $700.

My son discovered a world of serious young musicians and music-filled days. Concerts were held every evening. Food was good, extra activities were of high quality. This year he is going with a friend.

Highly recommended.

http://www.bluelake.org

Nancy

My flute playing dd has attended Interlochen the past two summers, and will probably be there for a 3rd this year. The music is great, but the best part is the overall "arts" atmosphere. The kids who attend have varied interests and are simply interesting people themselves. My dd has met many kindred spirits there, and we've visited them in other states. She'd love to visit her friend in Korea, but for now Facebook has to suffice.

The electives Interlochen offers should cover your ds's other areas of interest.

Audition CD's are due by Feb. 1.

Other than cost, one downside is that Interlochen is in Northern MI. The camp is very accustomed to kids flying into Detroit and then catching a smallish plane to Traverse City. They have a travel agent that they use, and it runs very smoothly and safely. The kids ship most of their gear ahead of time, and Interlochen has an on-site shipping service to ship things home. They're pretty sophisticated about such things, as it is truly an international camp.

Beth

This is a little different approach, but have you considered a drum & bugle corps for him? It would be a longer commitment than a camp, but his skills would improve exponentially. It's not for everyone, I would recommend it for a kid unless they were very morally mature and grounded. Also, I would ask about how the kids are supervised...some are better than others. The benefits are 14 hours of practice time a day, learning directly from some of the best percussionists in the world, travelling around the country, being with high school and college students who are serious about music, etc.

http://www.dci.org/index.cfm

This will help you find a corps in your region. There would probably be weekend camps leading up to summer marching season. They should also have video clips of some of the field shows as well.

I don't know about either of those, but my son attended the music camp at St. Olaf this last summer, and loved it. I heard the words "awesome!" and "St. Olaf" about a million times a day for weeks afterward. He took individual classes in conducting, theory and composition. There were other classes available to choose from, as well. It was only a week-long camp -- I know there are longer ones -- but we wanted him to be able to check out the school, so we had other motives. :D

Is Michigan too far west? Interlochen is the premier camp, six weeks, I think:

http://camp.interlochen.org/

I work in the music department at a college (but on the west coast), and will ask around.

ETA: Looks like there is a percussion institute at Interlochen. (Spendy!)

http://camp.interlochen.org/program/percussion-institute

Another vote for Interlochen. My cousins went several summers there. Another friend's dc went there more recently. IIRC, mostly string instruments.

My sixteen-year-old will be attending FSU Music Camp (for choir) this summer. A few friends of ours have had children attend for choir, and the kids really liked it.

The main website is:http://music.fsu.edu/Quicklinks/Summer-Camps

Here's the "Senior High Band" camp information. (It's taking all of my limited self-control not to start quoting "American Pie." ;-)

http://music.fsu.edu/Quicklinks/Summer-Camps/Camp-Descriptions-Details/Senior-High-Band-Camp

Hope it helps,

Lisa

I'm looking for a 2010 summer music camp for my 16yo son--preferably with opportunities for percussion, theory and composition. We were looking at the Eastern U.S. Music Camp at Colgate, and also at the International Music Camp in North Dakota. I don't know anything about either. :confused: Anybody with experience? Or another camp to recommend? (Preferably one in the eastern half of the U.S.--I'm not too sure about the whole North Dakota thing.)

Any help much appreciated!

SWB

I'm so happy to see my home state recommended!

I went to Blue Lake as a middle and high schooler. Loved it! The instruction was amazing. It's in a beautiful location. They have groups that travel to Europe every summer and the kids can audition during the camps. (I got in as a violinist and then the trip was cancelled due to terrorism threats.)

But, the premier camp here in MI is Interlochen. My brother attended and then worked there for a couple summers. It is world-renouned. (I know I spelled that wrong, but we're just back from a week away and I'm not looking it up!)

Good luck with your decision!

Does your state have a Governor's School summer program? I went in theater between my junior and senior year in high school and it was outstanding. It was an audition process. Our state(SC) had a music program that was wonderful.

(I think most states have this program.) It was a great opportunity to learn an art form from college professors, as well as professionals in each discipline. We were required to attend a certain number of performances from other departments throughout each week. It also opened a lot of doors for college possibilities and scholarships.

My sixteen-year-old will be attending FSU Music Camp (for choir) this summer. A few friends of ours have had children attend for choir, and the kids really liked it.

The main website is:http://music.fsu.edu/Quicklinks/Summer-Camps

Here's the "Senior High Band" camp information. (It's taking all of my limited self-control not to start quoting "American Pie." ;-)

http://music.fsu.edu/Quicklinks/Summer-Camps/Camp-Descriptions-Details/Senior-High-Band-Camp

Hope it helps,

Lisa

:iagree: My daughter did the FSU piano camp and loved it. She did it during her junior summer and it was also a nice preparation for college campus experience.

She also did the University of North Florida camp (day camp not sleep over) and a camp out in Ponte Vedre (also day camp). The Ponte Vedre (I hope I'm spelling that right) included a lot of percussion and composing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dara koon

I strongly recommend the Eastern US Music Camp at Colgate University. My son went there for three sessions. He loved it there and learned a lot from the camp, both music (theory and practice) and socialization from this beautiful and supportive environment. The food was great! The camp motivated him to practice and he had fun playing instruments. During his first session, we were reluctant to send him far away from home. We drove 5 hours to Colgate to observe and visit him almost every week. We found that the directors, Mr. and Mrs. Brown were very kind and caring for the campers well being and the quality of their performance which in turns made them proud of themselves and motivated them to do their best. As a result, my son played in the All State and All Eastern Honor bands as well as college symphony. Thank you to the camp that helped him to become a self directed ph.d. student. Even music is not his major, it is a part of his life that help him cope with everyday living. My only regret was that I did not know about this camp before and sent my son there for only three sessions! Because every child has only one childhood, I want it to be the best, not a wasting of such a precious and limited time. :001_smile:

Edited by dara koon