Menu

what would be your ideal 40th birthday present/experience?

My best friend turned 40 in October, and she flew to Portland, OR to meet me! We stayed at a fancy boutique hotel downtown (courtesy of her hubby's credit card points) for 4 nights. It was awesome! We spent an entire day at a bookstore, ate out, watched North and South in our pj's at the hotel (with a few bottles of red wine and some take out), went shopping, walked the city, toured some historic homes and ate where we wanted to. It was the best! We have promised to do it again next year for my 40th.

Dd14 and I will turn 15 and 40 the end of April, and I really wanted just the two of us to go away for a week to someplace special, like London (with the baby, of course). I know the weather isn't the greatest in England at that time, but I still thought it would be fun.

However, I doubt that will happen, and I probably will just go out with dh and whichever kids are home at that time for dinner. Oh well!

My 40th birthday present was a certificate that said I could pick whatever house I wanted (that we could afford, of course - we were house hunting). Unfortunately, we had to stop house hunting before we picked anything, so I essentially got nothing for my birthday. :tongue_smilie: If I had known that, I would have asked for a week away at a silent retreat. We have four girls in a row. I need silent. At *least* a week. :lol:

I'll be 40 in a few weeks. We moved to Germany last summer, and I would love to travel to...well...anywhere in Europe for the weekend! But, alas, we still have a house on the market in VA and are paying crazy-expensive rent here (DH is paid in $$$ and our rent is in €€€ - not good right now)! I think my best bet will be dinner out and a coffee press, LOL!

I can't really complain, though. I live in Germany!!!

Dh and I are going to Bali next month and it has cost us less than a trip within Australia. We are going for 4 days, 3 nights...and its our first ever trip away together without the kids (since they arrived).

I wish I had thought of it before (it was my brilliant idea).

Dh and I are going to Bali next month and it has cost us less than a trip within Australia. We are going for 4 days, 3 nights...and its our first ever trip away together without the kids (since they arrived).

I wish I had thought of it before (it was my brilliant idea).

If we go to the mountains it will be the longest we have been away from the kids. We've only been away one night at a time before now. Ds7 is already worrying about getting homesick (they'll be at their aunt's)!:tongue_smilie:

I'll be 40 in a few weeks. We moved to Germany last summer, and I would love to travel to...well...anywhere in Europe for the weekend! But, alas, we still have a house on the market in VA and are paying crazy-expensive rent here (DH is paid in $$$ and our rent is in €€€ - not good right now)! I think my best bet will be dinner out and a coffee press, LOL!

I can't really complain, though. I live in Germany!!!

Oooh, as soon as you get a chance, go to Prague and Vienna. Salzburg and the lake district too. Some of my faves.

:DWell I am planning my 40th birthday March 31 and my 20th Anniversary July 7

We have been looking at the VRBO site. We were just looking last night and this is the one my DH chose.

You will love the title of the ad!

http://www.vrbo.com/174246

We are still trying to decide. He wants to go back to Maui (We went for our 11th anniversary)

My actual birthday will be spent at a Day Spa. I have never gone to one matter a fact I have never had a manicure, pedicure, massage or any of those girl things.

So I am having the works!:D

:DWell I am planning my 40th birthday March 31 and my 20th Anniversary July 7

We have been looking at the VRBO site. We were just looking last night and this is the one my DH chose.

You will love the title of the ad!

http://www.vrbo.com/174246

We are still trying to decide. He wants to go back to Maui (We went for our 11th anniversary)

My actual birthday will be spent at a Day Spa. I have never gone to one matter a fact I have never had a manicure, pedicure, massage or any of those girl things.

So I am having the works!:D

I will stay far, far away from any cottage labeled "Baby Maker" !!! We will be celebrating our 20th anniv. in 2010 as well!

BTW, we love VRBO...used it to find a great place to stay on Amelia Island.

I think what I'm having trouble with is whether I want to go somewhere familiar (such as the mountains, about 3-4 hours away) or if I want to go somewhere new. We only have a long weekend (and I'm not keen on flying).

I suppose the mountains would be like new if the kids weren't with us! ;)

Anyone know of a great place, maximum 5 hours from Nashville?

This year for my 40th Dh bought me the folk harp for which I have been longing for years. I am now learning to play it. :) It's delightful.

Our family went out to a family restaurant for dinner and it was a surprisingly relaxing and enjoyable dining experience.

Dh also did as much as he could taking care of the kids and house so that I could relax, read, and play with my harp.

Anyone know of a great place, maximum 5 hours from Nashville?

Louisville is a neat city and it has one of the best hotels in the world. http://www.21chotel.com/hotel/default.aspx Well worth a visit and perfect for an adult long weekend. Museums, theater, sports, shopping, food. It's about 3 hours from Nashville an easy and beautiful drive up 65N.

I am turning 40 tomorrow (Dec. 31) and since we have no plans, I guess I will have my own little pity party. LOL Just kidding. I am sure if I wanted to, my husband would take me out somewhere nice, but I am kind of tired from all of the holiday traveling and would just rather stay home. We did talk about going to Cancun this summer, but neither one of us likes to fly, so I guess I don't have any suggestions for you...

Joy

I am turning 40 tomorrow (Dec. 31) and since we have no plans, I guess I will have my own little pity party. LOL Just kidding. I am sure if I wanted to, my husband would take me out somewhere nice, but I am kind of tired from all of the holiday traveling and would just rather stay home. We did talk about going to Cancun this summer, but neither one of us likes to fly, so I guess I don't have any suggestions for you...

Joy

We celebrated my dh's July 40th birthday the following January! Just didn't have time or childcare before then! Don't give up!

I prefer things over experiences when it comes to big gifts. For example, when I got a huge bonus at work, I got LASIK surgery and now I'll have 20/20 vision for the rest of my life (it was 20/1200--I couldn't see a thing before the surgery.)

So, I wouldn't like the trips or the day spas. I'd take the money and get a new floor for the livingroom or something like that. Something that I would see and enjoy and use every day for years to come.

I prefer things over experiences when it comes to big gifts. For example, when I got a huge bonus at work, I got LASIK surgery and now I'll have 20/20 vision for the rest of my life (it was 20/1200--I couldn't see a thing before the surgery.)

So, I wouldn't like the trips or the day spas. I'd take the money and get a new floor for the livingroom or something like that. Something that I would see and enjoy and use every day for years to come.

Very interesting perspective. That gets me thinking in a different direction.

I'm celebrating my 40th next year with a trip to Japan with a friend I met when I was living there in 1992. She lives in NYC and turned 40 last August.

It will be my first trip out of the country since 2001 and my first time away from the kids. I'm excited and a bit nervous too.