Menu

So what wine goes good with pig's head?!

Yes, that breaks all sorts of Jewish food laws, doesn't it!

If you could just find a way to boil the head in pig-milk...:lol:

Mmm. Your wine suggestion sounds good!

Yes, I think you would seriously like this choice.

I hope your holiday meal is very festive (how could it not be? :D)

Merry Christmas to All!!

Bill

Wow. I can't wait to hear how her dinner went! I married into a Filipino family and I thank God I have never witnessed such a "feast." DH said he has seen this when he was little and his grandparents were alive. Wow. Jean gets a gold star! :001_smile:

Edited by Melissa in St Louis
bad spelling :(

I literally feel ill. Note to self: Do not date, let alone marry, a Filipino man, lest his mother want me to prepare the head of a pig.

As for what to drink? I'd run out for a gallon of the hardest whiskey you could find. I'd go so far as to scour the hills of Kentucky for the truly hard stuff.

**shudder**

Tips on roasting a pig's head.

1. It gets brown faster than you think it will. Start it in a 300 degree oven.

2. Believe it or not, it the snout that you have to worry about burning more than the ears! (We used foil on the snout).

3. Have dh do most or all of it - I did! I didn't realize that the piggy still had his tongue, his teeth (he did not brush well) and his eyes.

I'll post a picture of the feast later. Right now I have to figure out how to transport a steaming hot pig's head to Grandma's house.

(SolaMichella- they didn't cover this sort of scenario in premarital counseling!)

I'm glad it's turned out well so far :)

As for food... we had a Polish Christmas last night at my sister's (family tradition to have CE together, with a theme). Did not know that some of those food smells linger on clothing... and it smells quite a bit like b.o. I'm sure the folks sitting with me at the candle light service really appreciated that (it's not me, it's either the lumpkes or the pepperkesh).

At least piggy head smells like pork... of course, I'm assuming it does anyway ;)

(SolaMichella- they didn't cover this sort of scenario in premarital counseling!)

Another mental note: If considering marrying a man of another culture, make sure to learn about EVERY POSSIBLE CULINARY CUSTOM before walking down the aisle.

I sure learn a lot here. LOL

I'm glad your piggy turned out ok. I'm still working on my Kentucky whiskey, though. :lol:

We went to my brother in law's for dinner and sis in law served us "petting zoo soup*". It was so disgusting, and we tried to drown it in raw onions and pretend to like it while surpressing giggles. She caught on.;)

*Menudo soup

LOL! It was funny last night. There were some yucky parts in the plates of meat. I would hear from the cousins, "Oh, that's so disgusting. Let me eat it!)

Carmen, what's in that? Isn't Menudo an old boy band? I don't know what's scarier to imagine, petting zoo soup or boy band soup :confused:

:lol:

Here is the Wiki description. I found it interesting as I was told that it was made from the udder of the cow. You know the smell of animal waste and BO at a petting zoo? Yeah, imagine tasting that smell, and you have menudo soup.
Beef tripe is usually made from only the first three chambers of a cow's stomach: the rumen (blanket/flat/smooth tripe), the reticulum (honeycomb and pocket tripe), and the omasum (book/bible/leaf tripe). Abomasum (reed) tripe is seen much less frequently, owing to its glandular tissue content. Menudo — Mexican tripe and hominy stew

Here is the Wiki description. I found it interesting as I was told that it was made from the udder of the cow. You know the smell of animal waste and BO at a petting zoo? Yeah, imagine tasting that smell, and you have menudo soup.

Mmmmm.... animal funk soup, sounds delicious :tongue_smilie:

with roasted pig's head, I'd say skip the wine and go straight to moonshine. You're going to need something stronger. :D:D:D

Seriously, I like to watch the show Andrew Zimmerman and even like to experiment with strange and unusual foods. I believe it was on his show that I learned that the pig's head is where the most tender and scrumptuous meat is. I believe it's the cheek bones that's the most tender? I hope I'm remembering correctly.

Please update us and let us know how it tasted! (maybe I should read the rest of the thread first?)

Figgy Piggy tasted great. Yes, he had very plump cheeks. His ears were tough. I accidentally got part of one of them and chewed, and chewed and chewed before I discretely set it aside! I was very relieved to see dh chop Figgy Piggy up before he got put on the table. I could face a couple of platters of meat much easier than having to carve a piece off of an intact Figgy Piggy.

This thread has pictures and my original update.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145347&highlight=%22Figgy+Piggy%22

We went to my brother in law's for dinner and sis in law served us "petting zoo soup*". It was so disgusting, and we tried to drown it in raw onions and pretend to like it while surpressing giggles. She caught on.;)

*Menudo soup

after reading the description all I can ask/say is, WHY ON EARTH would they serve that to GUESTS, and on a HOLIDAY?

BLECH! I love to experiment and try different things, but I don't think I'd try that.

I have really been enjoying reading this thread, thinking all along that we in the U.S. can't act all that smug about other people eating pig's head. After all, we eat the other end of the pig and that's probably even worse if you think about it. :tongue_smilie:

Once I got to #52 on the thread I saw that someone else was thinking of the other end as well. LOL!

All I can say is that my hat's off to you, Jean. You are one amazing wife!

smiley-greet009.gif

Blessings,

Lucinda

I have really been enjoying reading this thread, thinking all along that we in the U.S. can't act all that smug about other people eating pig's head. After all, we eat the other end of the pig and that's probably even worse if you think about it. :tongue_smilie:

Once I got to #52 on the thread I saw that someone else was thinking of the other end as well. LOL!

All I can say is that my hat's off to you, Jean. You are one amazing wife!

smiley-greet009.gif

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm not big on looking into the face of dinner :lol: I prefer my fish headless and don't mind crabs, if only because they have beady little eyes ;)