Menu

s/o Tipping service workers (not wait staff at a restaurant)

Every year I see those articles stories in (east coast-originated) magazines while sitting in a waiting room, etc., giving year-end/holiday tipping guidelines. $25 here, $50 there, $75 here, $100 there, "advising" people to hand out cash like it grows on trees.

I TRULY do not know anyone who tips:

• the garbage collector
  • the letter carrier
  • the doorman (now this HAS to be an urban thing...there isn't one high-rise apartment in our area that I know of...all multi-family structures are condo-based)
  • the dog walker
  • the babysitter
  • the nanny
  • above and beyond to the hair dresser, shampoo girl, receptionist at the salon
  • I know there are more that I can't think of off the top of my head...

Am I alone in wondering who does this? I'm NOT a Scrooge AT ALL! I just wonder how widespread this practice is? Is it regional? (I know this is just anecdotal, but it "feels" like it is more of an east coast, big city thing.)

I'm not ranting, I'm genuinely curious.

I don't tip those people. I do not have the money to do so. However, my dd is the manager of a copy center at an office store. She has quite a few customers who are always trying to give her cash tips; she is not allowed to accept them, though. Some of them will bring her coffee drinks or lunch or something like that, though. She is very appreciative of the food gifts since she can't afford Starbucks anymore! So I guess I'm glad there are people out there that can afford to tip service people - especially those who don't get paid very much. I also hope they understand that there are a lot of us who cannot afford to tip them even though we do appreciate their service. I always give them a big thank you, though.

I *know* (as in knew a long time ago irl) a garbage collector who reminds everyone on Facebook to tip their garbage man, recycling man, and lawn care man. Apparently, they are all different drivers. He suggests $10-$30 each.

I tipped my newspaper carrier in prior years, but then she always gave me some of her extras because she knew I used coupons. We have a new carrier now who throws the papers so hard at our door, it sounds like a bomb exploding on our porch at 4am.

I don't have money to tip everyone either.

I can't afford it either. It seems like all of my extra $$ goes into the red buckets in front of the stores. My girls hear the bells ringing and beg for money to put into the buckets. I've done cookies for the mail-person, but that's about it.

I used to work for a maid service, a long time ago, and we received a tip from our regulars ranging from $20-$100.

However, I just do what the mood hits me to do. I have been known to put baked goods out for the mail carrier, and cokes out for the garbage collection, but I haven't done either of these things in years. This year, I paid my son's guitar instructor double for his last lesson before the holidays. We have missed 4 lessons due to Thanksgiving/Xmas/New Year's and I know he doesn't have a ton of money. And, he doesn't charge a lot for lessons and he is amazing.

I also gave a large tip to my son's and my hair stylist (he had an appt. the other day, I did not) because she is so good and she recommended that I get my hair cut less often.

I like having relationships with particular business people and I think this says I am willing to go the extra mile because I see that they are, too.

I will not do anything else extra, except maybe leave cokes for the letter carrier and trash collection folks. The letter carrier always brings my packages to the door and the trash collection- well, I just appreciate not having trash piling up all over the place.

The holidays are about doing what you feel you can, and as much and in the ways that the spirit moves you. Do what you want and move on.

I *know* (as in knew a long time ago irl) a garbage collector who reminds everyone on Facebook to tip their garbage man, recycling man, and lawn care man. Apparently, they are all different drivers. He suggests $10-$30 each.

How do you tip the garbage man when he sits in an air-conditioned cab, pushes a button to extend a mechanical arm to pick up your garbage can, then drops it back into the middle of the road, or open so that it fills with water during the rainy season??? :glare:

Now, up in Minot, ND, I GLADLY made cookies for the garbage men -- they held onto the outside of the truck (-20 mind you) and heaved every single can by hand.

I am putting out a small gift (box of chocolate) for my mail carrier because she is wonderful and I appreciate her so very much. She took another route for a year and we had so much messed up that I realized just how wonderful she is to our family and what a great service she provides our neighborhood. I do occassionally tip my hairdresser, if I have money,because I know her and know that she can use the extra cash as well. Not to mention she is great at working me in on short notice. My dad tips the shampoo girl at his barber shop because she only works for tips and use it to help pay for college. We always try to tip the pizza delivery guy because we have friends that only survived one year on the tips the dh received (and this was his 2nd job) after their child was preemie. I know the people he delivered to never knew the circumstances.

Honestly, I see tipping a bit extra at the holidays as a small gift or a bonus like I would hope my dh receives at work. I can't always do much, but I do what I can.

I have never tipped the garbage men, but we have city service and they can't receive tips according to our city newsletter anyway.

My dh and I also look at it this way: We have been blessed so much over the years by unexpected small gifts that we want to pass that on to others when we can.

How do you tip the garbage man when he sits in an air-conditioned cab, pushes a button to extend a mechanical arm to pick up your garbage can, then drops it back into the middle of the road, or open so that it fills with water during the rainy season??? :glare:

Now, up in Minot, ND, I GLADLY made cookies for the garbage men -- they held onto the outside of the truck (-20 mind you) and heaved every single can by hand.

LOL We have the same set up and he works for the city I live in. He says to tape the envelope to the underside of the lid. Guess they start looking during the holidays. I dunno.

When I lived in rural Idaho as a teen, I got quite a few Christmas gifts/tips from families I babysat for on a regular basis. However, I was the "mother's dream" kind of babysitter who washed the dishes, helped the kids deep clean their rooms while making it a fun game, brought arts & craft supplies, played "imagination games", and kept the TV off. If I had a babysitter like that I would tip her, but I haven't left Goopy with anyone but family yet.

If I did have extra money to tip people (which I don't!), I wouldn't tip the UPS guy who bounces packages off my stucco wall or the mail carrier who intentionally won't deliver mail on Mondays if my neighbor's trash cans are in front of the mailbox because she would have to walk an extra 5 feet. I've had my hair cut professionally once in the last 2 years, and don't have a doorman (unless you count DH, who gets his rewards!)

My husband is a letter carrier and many of his patrons tip him or give him gifts at Christmastime. He's out there right this minute trudging through 2 feet of snow and driving a mail vehicle with no 4wd on ice/snow with the door open. He also delivers mail when it is 100 degrees F out with 99% humidity and no a/c in his vehicle. He often pays postage due for his patrons so he doesn't have to bother them for 25 cents or whatever and even called his supervisor about not charging a $17 postage due because the lady insisted that her sister paid for the postage but the label had fallen off. The supervisor let it go :-). He is especially watchful for his elderly patrons and has gone to visit several in the hospital. One particular old lady calls him on his cell phone just to have someone to talk to. He does not expect gifts or tips, but I assure you they are very much welcome and appreciated. He especially loves homemade cookies/candies/cards - no money needed. It's just the gesture of appreciation he loves.

Growing up, my parents always tipped our mail carrier. When I lived in a doorman building I did tip the doorman and the "front desk" people. In NYC these tips generally had to be pretty large.

I really want to leave something out for our mailman and UPS delivery person (the amazon deals have had them here VERY frequently recently and we have a steep driveway he has to walk up and down), but I know right now they can't even make it up our street with all the snow we have. We don't do any gluten in our house so whipping up some baked goods isn't going to work and I can't get our car out to go pick up anything. And with the holidays, the delivery companies generally hire extra temp workers, so I won't even be sure the goods would go to our regular guy.

In general, I think a little something for the folks who do their job well while providing a service for you is a nice gesture.

Well, we tip our mail carrier and the garbage guys. My husband and I grew up in Oklahoma and I never knew that there was tipping outside of waitstaff. In NY, at least here on Long Island, certain people expect a tip. I appreciate my mail carrier so much and usually leave her something in the box at the holidays.

We jokingly refer to our garbage men's tip as "the yearly bribe." The really do a great job , they pick up anything I leave out and never leave a mess. They do expect it though. They send a Christmas card so you don't forget and I leave my address on the tip so THEY don't forget!

We don't have the same UPS driver all the time, so no go there.

Same with the postal carrier. Our paper is just thrown from a moving vehicle--not like the old-fashioned paper boy or even someone who puts it in the box.

This is completely selfish, but I do hope the people I babysit for will tip me! I'd tip myself if I were my own babysitter. :D

Ok that was weird to say.

My husband is a letter carrier and many of his patrons tip him or give him gifts at Christmastime. He's out there right this minute trudging through 2 feet of snow and driving a mail vehicle with no 4wd on ice/snow with the door open. He also delivers mail when it is 100 degrees F out with 99% humidity and no a/c in his vehicle. He often pays postage due for his patrons so he doesn't have to bother them for 25 cents or whatever and even called his supervisor about not charging a $17 postage due because the lady insisted that her sister paid for the postage but the label had fallen off. The supervisor let it go :-). He is especially watchful for his elderly patrons and has gone to visit several in the hospital. One particular old lady calls him on his cell phone just to have someone to talk to. He does not expect gifts or tips, but I assure you they are very much welcome and appreciated. He especially loves homemade cookies/candies/cards - no money needed. It's just the gesture of appreciation he loves.

:grouphug: I wish he was OUR letter carrier! Our former rural route carrier (now we have a standard route) was WONDERFUL! She would stop and talk with us, and always had a nice word for the twirling girlies.

Now, at least once a week I find someone else's mail in our box. Twice it has been BANK STATEMENTS from USAA! :ohmy: One time we got someone's naughty magazine :ohmy::ohmy:. Glad it wasn't my girls getting the mail that day. I wonder what others have received that we haven't. I don't know who does the sorting, but someone needs to be more careful!

My mom has been a mail carrier for 25 years and was a clerk for 5 before that. I agree that some postal carriers go above and beyond and I have always tipped those that give great service. Many don't realize how difficult a job this can be.

Just a tip for those like the lady who's carrier won't deliver if their neighbors garbage cans are in front of the box, they are actually just following policy. They don't have to get out to deliver the mail if the box is obstructed. Which is why I consistently tell my neighbor to park his truck elsewhere because he likes to block my mailbox. Unfortunately efficiency is the name of the game, if it's a route where the carrier delivers from a vehicle that generally means only getting out for packages so that the route is delivered in the amount of time it's expected to take. Now an exceptional mail carrier will get out anyway, but they are not required too. To me those are the ones that warrant a tip.

I give Christmas gifts to anyone who teaches my dc and to anyone who goes above and beyond for me. That's pretty much it. We don't Christmas gifts to most people, though, including family. I do try to overtip waitresses this time of year, as people are cheap to waitresses at Christmas time.

I do tip (well) pretty much anybody and everybody when they are performing their service, though (delivery men, carpet cleaners, repairmen, hairdressers, etc.,) as long as they do a good job. It puts you first on the schedule next time and ensures good service. :D

Now, at least once a week I find someone else's mail in our box. Twice it has been BANK STATEMENTS from USAA! :ohmy: One time we got someone's naughty magazine :ohmy::ohmy:. Glad it wasn't my girls getting the mail that day. I wonder what others have received that we haven't. I don't know who does the sorting, but someone needs to be more careful!

We get our next neighbors' mail all the time. We even got the dh's paycheck! I wonder how many people are getting our mail, and they just aren't bothering to bring it to us. :confused:

I tip workers whose compensation structure is such that they do not make a living wage without it. That includes waitstaff, concierge staff, sky caps, taxi drivers, hair stylists.

I have no doubt that garbage collection, mail and package delivery, etc can be difficult jobs. But the pay structure is what is offered by the market rate, I do not feel I need to monetarily compensate for that.

If I were still cleaning the building, I would not expect any tips or gifts this time of year. As a Poker Tournament Director, (a service for 100+ players 4 times a week), I do not expect tips.

the garbage collector

the letter carrier

the doorman (now this HAS to be an urban thing...there isn't one high-rise apartment in our area that I know of...all multi-family structures are condo-based)

the dog walker

the babysitter

the nanny

above and beyond to the hair dresser, shampoo girl, receptionist at the salon

Several of the above are luxury, premium lifestyle situations and it's not an issue for me.

Well, we tip our mail carrier and the garbage guys. My husband and I grew up in Oklahoma and I never knew that there was tipping outside of waitstaff. In NY, at least here on Long Island, certain people expect a tip. I appreciate my mail carrier so much and usually leave her something in the box at the holidays.

We jokingly refer to our garbage men's tip as "the yearly bribe." The really do a great job , they pick up anything I leave out and never leave a mess. They do expect it though. They send a Christmas card so you don't forget and I leave my address on the tip so THEY don't forget!

In a sense, it is. It's "Waste Management" afterall...

a

I normally give my babysitter a nice gift or tip at Christmas, but she hasn't been here since October, so I won't do it this year. I usually give her $50 or so. She's been our babysitter for over 3 years - very reliable and sweet.

This is my first year with a cleaning lady, and I gave her an extra week's pay when I paid her last week.

I don't tip hairdresser or anyone else. . .

Guest Virginia Dawn

letter carrier: I never knew they were often given year-end "tips" until I had a friend that was a letter carrier. I saw how much he appreciated the small gifts that people left in their mail boxes. So, I at least give our letter carrier a christmas card. Sometimes I include a restaurant gift card, sometimes a homemade ornament or treat.

The one I never knew about till reading these boards was tipping hotel maids. I had never left a tip in a hotel room or seen/heard about leaving one my entire life.