Menu

Smelly teenage armpits

There was recently a letter in one of the Sunday newspaper features--Dr Pharmacy, or something like that. The letter writer raved about using Milk of Magnesia to control odor because nothing else had worked before this. The columnist agreed that this works for some people where aluminum-based deodorants might not. Maybe worth a try?

Cinder

I'm sure this will sound really strange, but here goes.

My ds had an awful problem - we'd send him to take a shower several times a day on occassion because we couldn't stand to be in the same room as him. We'd have "pit checks" for him after showers to make sure he'd washed [with SOAP :D - he "forgets" sometimes:glare:] and had deodorant on, but he still would stink a short time later.

It's my understanding that the odor comes from bacteria primarily, not the body or sweat itself. What seems to help my him [and myself on occasion :blush:] is to rub the armpits down with rubbing alcohol on a washcloth. This doesn't need to be done every day. Once or twice seems to clear up the problem [he does continue to wear deodorant though], and then he is good for a few weeks before we start noticing his odor again.

Sounds strange, but it really does help.

Edited by natalie

My daughter likes the Secret Clinical Strength antiperspirant, but I think that's more for excessive wetness rather than odor.

I know when she was a bit younger she would have more of an odor when she was not drinking enough water. It's hard for kids to remember that they need to stay hydrated, particularly when they're exercising or doing sports.

There could be other medical reasons, but from a naturopathic perspective, its a sign of a toxic system, although it does seem to be hormonally related with many teens. The smell is created by bacteria which feed on the sweat which is excreted through the sweat glands. Antibacterial swabs of some sort, as previously suggested, are a good idea just to kill the bacteria in the short term. However I would make sure he is drinking LOTS of water and eating LOTS Of fruit and vegetables and limiting junky foods. What goes in, honestly, has to come out somehow. The other thing is to make sure he is having regular bowel movements as constipation can also cause offensive body odour. We all have several avenues of elimination- sweat and the skin is one, bowels are another, breath is another, urine is another. Keeping all the avenues open takes the stress off any other avenue to have to compensate.

I wont buy aluminium based anti perspirants for my kids, even though they complain and want me to, to be cool like their friends. They do stop the perspiration, but the cost is too high on health, IMO.

I second the clinical strength deorants that are available. I've tried several different brand(depending what I have a coupon for), and they work for me when nothing else did--even the alchol mentioned by PP. Also, I do think it is related to some kind of toxicity. I know mine is because of an infection I've been fighting, off and on for two + years.

Our ped. recommended a spray w/ an active ingredient containing zirconium. The actual name of the salt is Aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrex GLY. We found it in Arm & Hammer..no female or male odor, just an antiperspirant.

Also recommended was wearing clothing and shoes of natural materials and of course changing after exercise. No re -wearing clothes without washing, as the bacteria starts breeding. Alternate shoes in daily wear so each pair can dry thoroughly before wearing again.