Menu

French for 1st grade?

Whereneverever

My ds5 likes Hooked on French. It's fun, and not too babyish. It's just a beginning, though. We've done level 1 and it covers stuff like hello, goodbye, numbers 1-10, saying how old you are, colors, shapes. There are some readers and a book to look at with some activities and flashcards. We haven't started book 2 yet. There is no writing.

I'm considering something from Nallenart next. (You can google them and do a search on this board). Alex et Zoe might be good also (if your dd is writing), since you speak French, but I think you'd have to order from overseas.

And at least last week, you could get it shipped for under $14 total with the HOP50 code plus its crazy sale price. http://www.hookedonphonics.com/ProductDetail.aspx?C1=19&CategoryID=172&ProductID=172

Wow, that's a great price! Would the HOP be too babyish for my 9 year olds? We have Galore Park's French Prep, but are finding it a bit intimidating with no prior exposure to the language.

Also, would I need to purchase two sets? Or would they be able to share the workbooks?

Edited by April in NC

Wow, that's a great price! Would the HOP be too babyish for my 9 year olds? We have Galore Park's French Prep, but are finding it a bit intimidating with no prior exposure to the language.

Also, would I need to purchase two sets? Or would they be able to share the workbooks?

Bumping to see if anyone can answer this- I'm wondering if the HOP is babyish, as well.

I wouldn't call it babyish, but it would be very simple for a 9 yr old. The computer portion has 2 cartoon kids and a cat, and the kids look elementary school-aged. The first lesson is entirely "Bonjour" and "Au Revoir". So very little new vocab introduced in each lesson.

There is no writing, the books are to look at and have the parent read to the child.

Because you are fluent, you may be disappointed with Hooked on Phonics French program. I know I was--even though I'm not fluent. My husband is fluent in French, and he wasn't crazy about it. I was expecting the books to be in French. They were not.

Then we went with Le Francais Facile, Jr. It has been pretty good...

We also like the Bonjour Les Amis video series. It's a good starting point.

• 1 month later...

I've been using Mission ABC, the K-2nd program from the Mission Monde people for my dd8. I really like the program, and so does dd. It's very easy to do. We dropped it in November, I think, because we just had so much other stuff scheduled. But I've finally been able to pare our days down, and dd is excited to be able to add this back in. It can take as little time as you want. I prefer to do it a little every day rather than bigger blocks of time a couple of times a week. I also have dd listen to the CD everyday up to the point that we are at, just to continue hearing the accent and the vocabulary.

Oh, and RR carries it too.

Edited by mommahawk

I forgot to mention that the Learnables is working well with my 1st grader. She really enjoys it, and actually laughs out loud sometimes with the story. It's not traditional at all, but I know she's picking up the language, both by listening and reading.

And in case you were looking at it, First Start French isn't working as well with my 1st grader. That's to be expected, I know, because it's designed for 3rd graders and older, but I have it so we're using it while waiting for more of the Learnables to arrive.

:)

Anabel

We are using Hooked on French with my 1st grader and we have had wonderful success. We are taking it very slowly with him (and it is just basic vocabulary). For my older son, we bought Le Francais Facile. It is perfect. I can speak and write French and took 4 years of the language in school, so that helps a lot when it comes to teaching my kids.

We are using Hooked on French with my 1st grader and we have had wonderful success. We are taking it very slowly with him (and it is just basic vocabulary). For my older son, we bought Le Francais Facile. It is perfect. I can speak and write French and took 4 years of the language in school, so that helps a lot when it comes to teaching my kids.

Exactly what I was looking for- thanks!

We're using Nallenart's L'Art de lire (the next level up from L'art de dire). I bought it to supplement my older dd's First Start French but after looking at it decided I could use some of it with my younger dd (6). She is doing the full program and not having any problems with it. She writes well for her age so the writing component (which I thought would be too much) is actually fine for her. We do one activity page per day about 4 days a week. We listen to the audio about 3-4 times a week and supplement our French with audio books, movies in French and tea times (for having conversation in French only) and rotate these three within a month. I keep meaning to start a calendar day to integrate more discussions and use of French numbers, days of week, months, seasons, holidays, etc. but I haven't added that in yet. My older dd keeps a French copybook for weekly entries and I may add that to my younger dd's list of work next year.

Exactly what I was looking for- thanks!

Oh good! Glad I could help. For a little more detail, it comes with 3 levels that increase in difficulty. My son is starting the 2nd level and we are going slowly. He is actually doing it at a rate of 1 lesson in two weeks. We do the lesson the first week and then repeat the second week. It seems to really help him solidify the words and commit them to memory. Level one didn't need to be repeated like that, but level 2 is harder. The CD is the best part. It is interesting and quick, but engaging for a younger child. I also like that it comes with flash cards. Each time we do a new lesson, we review ALL of the flash cards from previous lessons (even the first level). He is really learning the words and this is all I really expected for him at this age.

My older son is 10 and he gave Spanish a try this year. He didn't like it at all...mostly due to the program we chose. We stopped with that about mid-year and now he is begging me to do French. He has learned the words along with his brother using the same program with much less exposure, of course. Le Francais Facile is a very natural next step, I think because I can teach my younger son in 3 years and my older son in 1-2 years using the same book!