Menu

Gingerbread House Decorating Party Ideas?

Soooooooooo, we are hosting our first -ever gingerbread house decorating party for a bunch of children (and moms). I'm going to pre-make the houses out of gingerbread graham crackers and royal icing, then when they get here they can decorate the houses without the stress of "building it." We will have ages newborn - highschool. I'd like the gathering to be a lovely time for the mothers, as well as for the children, and I'm trying not to spend a fortune doing this. Right now, we're looking at between 5-10 families. This is a 2-hour shindig, in the afternoon, so I'm planning on having bottled water and somewhat healthy snacks to offset the nibbles of candy and icing that will definately take place. We'd like to do some games or something, also. What great ideas do you have for me????:bigear: I have wanted to have a party for my kids every holiday for the past 3 years and this year I bit the bullet and sent the invites before I could look back! :lol: We're excited!

Every other year it seems that middle dd has chosen a gingerbread house decorating party--her friends actually BEGGED her to do it again this year--and she (yesterday) turned 17! So this Friday (party had to be scheduled one week late) I will make about 15 gingerbread houses. I will use royal icing to glue them together and then I'll glue them to foil-covered wooden plates.

Later this week we will finish the 'candy hunting'--but we have already started.

We cover our pool table with plywood and then plastic table coverings. I set out bowls of the different candies---with spoons for serving. Each person gets plate and can take 1-2 spoonfuls of each candy type the first time around--after that whatever is left over is free game! I usually have 1-2 'special' pieces of candy (candy cane, marshmallow figure, licorice dog...) that I personally hand out--they can either use it or swap it... I also give each person a small bowl of royal icing and a plastic knife. I have a few decorating bags of icing on hand for the older (more creative) decorators. I will occasionally make a colored icing--but this request needs to come early in the event.

For snacks I always put out a cheese and cracker tray and a veggie/dip tray. I serve water or tea--no sugary drinks.

Amazingly the younger children don't eat as much of the candy as the teens do! We did have one 10yr boy who once stuffed his pockets with candy and then kept having to 'go' to the bathroom.... once we figured out what was going on it was too late--he had a tummy ache for days (he parents NEVER let him have candy at home and he had no self-control!).

Some of our traditional candy:

M&M's (not the holiday ones the 'regular' colored ones)

Skittles

Marshmallows (big and small)

Candy Corn

Chocolate Chips

Red Hots

Peppermints

Ribbon Candy

Cake Sprinkles of all types

Chocolate Covered Sunflower seeds (make the perfect size Christmas lights)

Necco Wafers (great for roof)

Cotton Candy (smoke for chimney)

Gum drops

Gum Balls

Jaw breakers (mini ones)

Licorice

Candy Canes (large and small)

any other candy we happen to find that might work!

I make my own house pattern. This year they will be a bit smaller than in the past (4X6 or so)--and I'll have 3 different ones to choose from. After the decorating is finished we line up the houses for a 'town' picture! We also have a 'contest' and the best in show winner gets a prize--usually an oversized candybar (last time it was a GIANT chocolate penguin!).

We just went to a great on e this weekend. The mom who hosted put out a ziploc bag of icing and a ziploc bag of the most popular candies at each place (a chocolate santa, some hershey kisses, gummy bears, a marshmallow peep tree). She also had a table set up with bowls of assorted candy and pretzels/cereal/dried fruits for the kids to choose extras from (with paper plates to transport the stuff).

When it was time to start she just cut the corner on each kids icing bag and they were able to work independently.

I have had two gingerbread decorating parties. And survived. :tongue_smilie:

1.) Don't bother mopping your kitchen floor before the party. Save your energy for mopping the floor after!

2.) I bought little paper cups - the kind that might be set out at a wedding w/nuts or mints - at a party supply store, cheap. I filled with an assortment of candy, cereal, pretzels, etc. and set around on the table. That way all the kids had within their reach an assortment of decorations, no reaching over anyone else or complaining that they wanted something at the other end of the table.

3.) Most important - buy a cheap plastic table cloth for the table. When the party is done - just roll up all the mess!

We always read a gingerbread boy picture book before decorating.

If you can find a large paper gingerbread boy, you can play "pin the gumdrop on the gingerbread boy." Or pin the carrot on the snowman, for a general winter party idea.

We'd like to do some games or something, also. What great ideas do you have for me????:bigear:

Glue the nose on Rudolf. Limbo under a string of low volt lights.

BTW, almond bark is fabulous as gluing the houses together.

Got a Santa? I don't know the age group, but we went to a Santa party last night and everyone was very cute. One grandma, a couple under her belt, sat on Santa's lap, too.

We've been to several gingerbread contest showings this season, including the national one, and saw some cool ideas for things I haven't previously associated with gingerbread houses:

sugar cubes (snow forts, igloos, etc)

pez (makes great bricks)

pretzels (the square ones are good for windows, regular shapes for fencing/gates, sticks for fence posts, woodpiles, etc)

sticks of gum (shingles or front walk)

shredded wheat (the large biscuits make good thatching for a roof)

candy canes in spiral form for trees (saw these at Aldis, probably available elsewhere)

dried beans of various colors (rock walls, paving)

candy rocks (ones that look like natural stone)

lentils

foil under what looked like blue jello for water (the lentils in this look a lot like stones in a river--goldfish crackers in the pond also looked good)

ramen noodles painted gold (used as braid on a nutcracker soldier)

cotton candy (snow, smoke)

We just went to a great on e this weekend. The mom who hosted put out a ziploc bag of icing and a ziploc bag of the most popular candies at each place (a chocolate santa, some hershey kisses, gummy bears, a marshmallow peep tree). She also had a table set up with bowls of assorted candy and pretzels/cereal/dried fruits for the kids to choose extras from (with paper plates to transport the stuff).

When it was time to start she just cut the corner on each kids icing bag and they were able to work independently.

You could do a "cakewalk" for special decoration items for the houses. Something to get them up and moving a little. Only have 4 or 5 participate in the walk at a time. Maybe little candycanes for light posts as the prize.

I have had two gingerbread decorating parties. And survived. :tongue_smilie:

1.) Don't bother mopping your kitchen floor before the party. Save your energy for mopping the floor after!

2.) I bought little paper cups - the kind that might be set out at a wedding w/nuts or mints - at a party supply store, cheap. I filled with an assortment of candy, cereal, pretzels, etc. and set around on the table. That way all the kids had within their reach an assortment of decorations, no reaching over anyone else or complaining that they wanted something at the other end of the table.

3.) Most important - buy a cheap plastic table cloth for the table. When the party is done - just roll up all the mess!

We always read a gingerbread boy picture book before decorating.

If you can find a large paper gingerbread boy, you can play "pin the gumdrop on the gingerbread boy." Or pin the carrot on the snowman, for a general winter party idea.

Glue the nose on Rudolf. Limbo under a string of low volt lights.

BTW, almond bark is fabulous as gluing the houses together.

GREAT IDEAS! I hadn't thought of the almond bark, but I use that all the time and it makes perfect sense! Thanks!!!!!:D

This thread has some wonderful ideas! I just saw a gingerbread house in a magazine that used Cinnamon Toast Crunch for the roof shingles and I have to say that it seems like it would work much better than the Frosted Mini Wheats we've used in the past. We do gingerbread with my parents every year but a party sounds like a ton of fun. I may have to start planning for a party next year!

I'd ask guests to bring a bag or some candy so you get a nice variety.

Also, dig out the leftover Halloween candy. We still have some left and it is a great way to use it up.

Almond bark is great but it is expensive. I go to Michael's and buy meringue powder with a 40% coupon. The can lasts a couple years b/c you only use a few tablespoons of powder per batch of frosting.

HTH

Skip Latin and drive on down. You know you want to! ;)

I DO want to! But I am so NOT a skipper! I probably wouldn't be able to sleep the night before at the mere thought! :tongue_smilie: Weirdo, I know!

Next time, could you just check MY schedule first? ;) Hee, hee.

We want to see pictures, too!

Chelle

I just did this last week for our library's storytime-

cereal is a good cheap alternative to candies. [esp fruit loops and those cinnamon squares as previously mentioned]

yes, ask each person to bring a bag of candy.

I really prefer the royal icing, and it's just cheaper to separate the whites yourself and let the dog have a treat of yolks ;)

I found that 6 egg whites/ bag powdered sugar/3tsp cream of tartar makes enough icing to put 4 heaping tablespoons into each small ziploc bag for 10 kids. Use freezer bags --less likely to burst. When you snip the corner, you can just drop the [entire] leftover ziploc bags into a larger ziploc bag and re-use the bags later -- only the little bitty snipped part will dry.

My 12yo made a HUGE g-bread house that we took to the city party and displayed. We let kids that visited add a candy to one side, gave away Gingerbread baby in a book drawing, and displayed a g-bread book i was making.

oh-- I also found that it's easier for little kids if you put a dollop of icing on the candy or house, have them count to 5 o 10 so the icing can thicken just a bit, THEN have them put it on [so they don't have to hold it on very long.]

have fun!

post-115-13535083217595_thumb.jpg

post-115-13535083217595_thumb.jpg

Edited by Peek a Boo