Menu

To all facebook addicts

Wow, good to know, I passed this on to a couple friends who are on FB. I am not. OT, but does anyone know how to get OFF facebook once you are on? My hubby signed up for an account way back, he never uses it and wants off, but doesn't know how...

ETA: I found a site that shows how to get off of FB... I should have googled before I posted this questions! http://antisocial.nectareen.com/how-do-i-delete-my-facebook-account/

Edited by lovetobehome

Wow, good to know, I passed this on to a couple friends who are on FB. I am not. OT, but does anyone know how to get OFF facebook once you are on? My hubby signed up for an account way back, he never uses it and wants off, but doesn't know how...

Under your account settings you can deactivate the account.

We not only deactivated ours, but I also went in and deleted EVERYTHING. I didn't want to leave anything to chance. Dh still sometimes would get an email from FB about something, and we were never sure why.

You can deactivate, but if you choose to sign back in everything will still be there. Your stuff doesn't go away. So, it's up to you, but you may want to consider deleting and then deactivating.

You can deactivate, but if you choose to sign back in everything will still be there. Your stuff doesn't go away. So, it's up to you, but you may want to consider deleting and then deactivating.

Yeah, you can never leave :glare:

I set up a dummy account under a fake name just to check it out & then tried to delete it but it's not possible. Once you're in, you're in. "Deactivating" is not the same imo.

I just checked mine and none of my setting were changed either. They were all exactly how I had them set, which was locked down pretty tight. I'll keep looking though, because it seems to me I kept finding different privacy setting in the weirdest places; they are not all where you think they should be.

Thanks for the heads-up, Mrs. Mungo.

I just checked mine and none of my setting were changed either. They were all exactly how I had them set, which was locked down pretty tight. I'll keep looking though, because it seems to me I kept finding different privacy setting in the weirdest places; they are not all where you think they should be.

Thanks for the heads-up, Mrs. Mungo.

This biggest place to look (IMHO) is Settings > Privacy Settings > Search. In there, if you want to maintain some extra privacy, the choices should be changed from "Everyone" (mine was set as Everyone even though I'd probably changed that in the past) and you want the indexing box UNchecked. This "Search" page has to do with what people outside of FB can find/see via search engines from what I understand.

This biggest place to look (IMHO) is Settings > Privacy Settings > Search. In there, if you want to maintain some extra privacy, the choices should be changed from "Everyone" (mine was set as Everyone even though I'd probably changed that in the past) and you want the indexing box UNchecked. This "Search" page has to do with what people outside of FB can find/see via search engines from what I understand.

Mine still said "only friends" and the box was unchecked....so....they hadn't changed it on mine. Wonder why?

Mine are all still locked down... I wonder, what is it that others are worried about? I really ask because I want to know. If my privacy settings are all tight and have stayed that way... and if I don't post anything that I'd be ashamed for ANYONE to see... why would I worry?

I don't ever post political, although I did post a long time ago asking for prayer for a person having an abortion. I am not ashamed of who I am or what I share, so why would I need to worry? And if I keep my "friends" to a certain, manageable size... why worry?

Please tell me, sincerely, what you worry about? Maybe I don't know something or am totally clueless...

Mine are all still locked down... I wonder, what is it that others are worried about? I really ask because I want to know. If my privacy settings are all tight and have stayed that way... and if I don't post anything that I'd be ashamed for ANYONE to see... why would I worry?

Yesterday (for me, would have been today for most people) when I logged on the privacy settings had all been switched to "everyone" as the default. I'm thinking they must have switched it late today as they started getting complaints.

Yesterday (for me, would have been today for most people) when I logged on the privacy settings had all been switched to "everyone" as the default. I'm thinking they must have switched it late today as they started getting complaints.

This was exactly what happened on mine last night. I had to change everything back to my original settings. I could see why they would have complaints.

Thanks, Mrs. Mungo!

I would have totally ignored the pop-up on the Facebook intro page if I hadn't seen this thread here first. All of my privacy settings had been changed.

It matters to me if "Friends of Friends" see my photos, etc. because some of my friends and relatives have 200 "friends," and I have no idea who these people are. When you start to extrapolate out from your own friends list, you really can get into a pretty large group of people really quickly. I have photos of my children, etc. that I put on my page, and I'm really not comfortable having my privacy settings less than "high," whatever that may mean...:glare: