Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pip

Do you have to refrigerate pumpkin pie?

We have no room for it in the fridge until we cook the bird. I am seeing both yes and no on this question.

Technically speaking, yes, you need to refrigerate pumpkin pie. It contains eggs, and is considered a "cooked custard". Keep it in the fridge.

In reality though, many folks leave it out and never ever get sick. I've never been sick from leaving a pumpkin pie unrefrigerated overnight. Professionally, I'd never do it. Personally though, I'd go for it--it'll be ok. ;)

We have no room for it in the fridge until we cook the bird. I am seeing both yes and no on this question.

Don't know where your village is, but do you have a safe place with no heat? Say a garage or something where the temp won't get much above 40 degrees? That is what we did growing up. We had an addition on our house that served as a laundry/utility room/entrance/boot rack with no heat. During the holidays when fridge space was at a premium we would use that room. Just keep any pets out of it.:D

For now, I plan meals just so for that last week up to Thanksgiving so as to give the most space. If you looked in it right now, you would think we had no food. :tongue_smilie:

Growing up, I rarely remember the pies being in the fridge. They were always lined across the counters! But, they were gone within 2 days. My dh is always trying to put the leftover pies into the fridge, and I am always taking them out!

We only like pumpkin pie frozen. So I take it out about 15 minutes before I plan to cut it so it can soften up just a little bit, but that's all. It's a texture issue.

I'm the only one who'll eat pecan pie and I'll only eat that frozen as well.

Technically it should be refrigerated but my mom never did and she always baked them the day before. They were never out for more than 36 hours.

I guess the answer to this question is:

Do you feel lucky?

Well....do ya?

I agree with the pp who said that it's a custard, so should be in fridge.

Or,....you could bring 'em over here! :001_smile:

Near 60 today, 32 tonight. I may just bake them later today and go that route.

That would definitely be cold enough for tonight. Can you safely put it in something on the porch?

If not, how about a cooler?

My family has always just used the car as an extended refrigerator for things like that. It's cold enough and it keeps the critters out.

Oh clever I hadn't thought of the car. I used the grill last year. Car is bigger, woo hoo!

stores don't refrigerate theirs. Not sure if that helps.

I noticed that today when I was at the store--there were piles of pumpkin, pecan and apple pies in the aisle--and people were grabbing them up like crazy!!

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Tweet
Pin