Menu

Sewing Machine for Christmas....Which would you choose?

My 14 yo has started sewing on her own. However, she has been using my Kenmore, but I would like to get a machine of her own for Christmas.

Should I stick with a Kenmore from Sears, or go with another brand?

Hancock fabrics will have some on sale on Friday of this week. Here are some they will have on sale:

Janome 3128

Singer 7422

Brother LS-590

All of these are listed for $79.99 except the Singer which is listed for $129.99.

Any thought?

Blessings,

Brenda

Remember, you get what you pay for. These lower priced, bottom end machines are typically made with plastic parts and don't last a hugely long time.

Kenmore is a Sears label, not a brand. Meaning, when you get a Kenmore, you could be getting a cheap Singer, or some other brand.

My suggestion is to skip the cheap sales that always show up this time of year and go to either a Bernina, Pfaff, Viking or Brother/Babylock, or Janome dealer and try out one of their used machines. You can get a nice, mid-line machine at a good price and I think your dd will be happier with it than with one of the super-low priced ones. :001_smile:

My suggestion is to skip the cheap sales that always show up this time of year and go to either a Bernina, Pfaff, Viking or Brother/Babylock, or Janome dealer and try out one of their used machines. You can get a nice, mid-line machine at a good price and I think your dd will be happier with it than with one of the super-low priced ones. :001_smile:

I agree with this.

I was helping a student with a sewing project using her entry level Singer and it was so frustrating that I moved her over to my Bernina for the challenging parts.

You also might watch for Bernette machines, which are made for Bernina.

Thank you for this thread! I'm currently shopping for one too. I'm not looking for anything fancy as I'm a beginning sewer. This is one I'm looking at because it seems very simple. I'm extremely bobbin-challenged. With the old machine I have now I'm certain you need a PhD in Engineering to change out the bobbin, and since I don't have one of those, lots of colorful language can be heard during the process. :D I'm hoping the newer models make that part of it easier!!

ETA: Oh no, I'm hearing bad things about the Singer in this thread... I'll take a look at some of the other brands people have mentioned!

Edited by Firefly
ETA

:iagree: But check out thrift stores like Goodwill. I found a wonderful machine there for $14 and it's a heavy workhorse.

Remember, you get what you pay for. These lower priced, bottom end machines are typically made with plastic parts and don't last a hugely long time.

Kenmore is a Sears label, not a brand. Meaning, when you get a Kenmore, you could be getting a cheap Singer, or some other brand.

:iagree:

I owned an older-model Viking, which I loved, but gave it away eventually and bought a Bernina. A Bernina (or a Viking, or Pfaff, etc.) will work like a Swiss clock. I don't know if there are any sales, but it's worth a try, for a better machine.

It's not just Singer; many of the less-expensive machines are made cheaply and end up just being frustrating to work with. And, I'd have her try some out. I've had Viking, Pfaff and Bernina and liked all 3, but my favorite was the Pfaff, because, well, because I just did! LOL Just preference is all. All machines worked beautifully. I tried a Brother and hated it. Again, it worked fine, I just preferred something else. Oh, and I liked the Janome, too, but didn't get it because I was getting an embroidery machine and Janome's is all one unit (embroidery and sewing) and I wanted to be able to take the embroidery unit off. If you're not wanting an embroidery feature, then that's not an issue.