Menu

Oh My Goodness!

Travellers are a unique bunch. We have them in the U.S., too. Do some googling. It is definitely it's own culture. Getting married young is very, very common. They have huge, expensive coming out parties for their girls. Some also trot out their girls as young as 7 in fancy dresses and makeup for future marriage.

Remember the lady accused of punching her dd in the car seat in a store parking lot? She was a traveller.

Wasn't the tv show 'The Riches' with Minnie Driver about travellers? I only got to see one or two episodes (the one where she, the mom, gets out of jail and rejoins her family, and then they take over the identities of people who died in a car accident), but it looked really interesting.

No, no - she was being funny/sarcastic (about the bOOks!) Ya know, momma and daughter showing off what Daddy bought them?:tongue_smilie:

I knew she was being funny, but I was worried I came off condescending (not my intention). I was just trying to be nice and I love weddings, especially ones with really joyful parents. Those sorts of things give me the warm fuzzies even if they are done a little... out of the normal run of things.

The books are a bit..... extravagant.... but it looks like most of what they do is over the top (badumpbump).

Guest RecumbentHeart

I'll have to go look at pictures of this group and see what the other weddings are like. Interesting. I've learned something new today. I also learned that we don't capitalize the seasons :001_smile: Thank you Rod and Staff English 3.

THANK-YOU for passing that information on. I was just wondering about that last week. :lol:

I looked up the pictures and stuff about Irish travelers also and now the whole thing makes complete sense.

I knew she was being funny, but I was worried I came off condescending (not my intention). I was just trying to be nice and I love weddings, especially ones with really joyful parents. Those sorts of things give me the warm fuzzies even if they are done a little... out of the normal run of things.

The books are a bit..... extravagant.... but it looks like most of what they do is over the top (badumpbump).

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't think they homeschooled- most of the female travelers are illiterate.

That is very sad...if I were a traveler (:lol:) I would make sure all the children could at least read!

She said her dress was "huge." Now that's funny! It looks more like something one would wear for the wedding night, not the wedding itself. I would have loved to see the look on my father's face if I had shown him a picture of that for my wedding dress. He'd have :svengo:

She said her dress was "huge." Now that's funny! It looks more like something one would wear for the wedding night, not the wedding itself. I would have loved to see the look on my father's face if I had shown him a picture of that for my wedding dress. He'd have :svengo:

She had a 10 ft train. I'm not sure what my dad would have done since he didn't buy my dress. I'm pretty sure the church we got married in would not have let me in wearing that dress.

When my SIL got married in the same church, her maid of honor had to cover up some, uh, inappropriate tatoos. Personally, I think it would have been better to have just left them alone. Most people probably wouldn't have know what they meant and probably wouldn't have noticed. This girl came in looking like she had been in a brawl with gauze and bandaged all over her tatoos. :lol: Her tatoos were talked about after that. Long sleeves would have taken care of the issue also.

Oh yea, I knew that's what she was talking about. It just struck me as funny from looking at the picture, then reading the quote. The train size wasn't apparent in the picture, though you "just knew" it was big. :)

Maybe she could have used the train to wrap around the rest of the dress :001_smile:

I agree it is funny that she said big since what the picture showed was not big.

Hmmm... I'm not sure what to think. On the one hand, you have to respect the fact that everybody has different tastes. On the other hand, both the bride and her mother look like skanks. I don't think that's cultural -- I think they're just born skanks.

It's actually quite typical of the culture. Travellers are very much maligned in Ireland. The biggest complaint I've heard is that they dump their trash on the ground wherever they park their caravan for a few days. If you travel around Ireland for a few days with a native, they'll point out traveller trash piles along the roadside. They do leave quite a mess. Marrying young, lavish weddings, skimpy clothes for women, etc, are all typical.

On the other hand, they are a protected culture in Ireland. Many of their values are considered slutty, unrefined, disgusting, etc. by many other cultures, but I try to focus on their uniqueness. They are a people heavily steeped in tradition and there is a beauty to some of their ways.

It's actually quite typical of the culture. Travellers are very much maligned in Ireland. The biggest complaint I've heard is that they dump their trash on the ground wherever they park their caravan for a few days. If you travel around Ireland for a few days with a native, they'll point out traveller trash piles along the roadside. They do leave quite a mess. Marrying young, lavish weddings, skimpy clothes for women, etc, are all typical.

On the other hand, they are a protected culture in Ireland. Many of their values are considered slutty, unrefined, disgusting, etc. by many other cultures, but I try to focus on their uniqueness. They are a people heavily steeped in tradition and there is a beauty to some of their ways.

I'm reading your post and it almost seems like travellers are the anti-conservative religious whatever you wish to call it, iykwIm. Ultra tiny clothes for women, deeply devout in being self-centered (how I see the trash dumping), etc. How very interesting.