Menu

Make sure you see Janice in NJ's post on the K-8 board.

I'm not sure if this is going to be allowed to stay here, but Janice has a post with a video peek into a language arts session. There's Hobbits-es, there's a R&S 8 Grammar book being consulted, there's interaction, there's kids being educated, there's someone off screen answering questions in a DEEP voice, there're literary elements, there's...

Oh, go check it out. I soooo almost never watch recommended videos. But I did, and you should. You'll be glad you did.

IMO, it's what lighting the fire looks like after you've spent years filling the bucket.

1) I would never in a gazillion years have pictured Janice with long hair. And lo-o-ong hair at that!

2) She is clearly a very, very good teacher. Her enthusiasm is contagious. We've known that for years just reading her posts, and it's even more evident "seeing" her in person.

3) That style of teaching would not appeal to me here at home. It's the way I'd like to teach if I were teaching in a classroom, but it wouldn't feel comfortable to me here at home.

For some reason, I thought Janet was a blonde. And a very demure one at that. She is a lot more vivacious in person than I imagined her, so I'm really glad to get to see her... I'm certain I would like her very much - not that I ever doubted it, but now I feel like I know her a little bit better :).

3) That style of teaching would not appeal to me here at home. It's the way I'd like to teach if I were teaching in a classroom, but it wouldn't feel comfortable to me here at home.

I thought something similar. Janice was doing something great with her kids, but it's much more like a classroom lesson than what I envision junior high will ideally be like with my kids at home.

I loved this. Pam, thank you so much for linking it. Janice, thank you so much for filming yourself.

I love this style of teaching. This is the way I used to be back when I was teaching with enthusiasm. I think that Janice may ignite a fire in me yet.

Come to think of it, this is much more like what we did when I taught with Shurley Grammar (which I know a lot of people aren't thrilled about.)

I want to clarify that I was never as "with it" as Janice is. She is awesome. I don't think I was as good as she is, and when I was "afire" like she is my oldest was only in second grade, so it's different when the kids are younger. But that style of teaching always appealed to me when I was a student and it's the style that I tend towards whenever I'm teaching either adults or children.

Bravo!!!

king-033.gif

1)

Not ever? When I think of my ideal college/school, there is a ratio of one hour of "classroom" work, like this, and 5-10 hours of more independent study. Something like this lights the candle, but the goal is to have the candle burn on. There is no way the three of them could keep this level of concentration up for hours on end. But as a starting point, a mind stretcher, an inspiration....this is certainly what I am shooting for.

Not ever? When I think of my ideal college/school, there is a ratio of one hour of "classroom" work, like this, and 5-10 hours of more independent study. Something like this lights the candle, but the goal is to have the candle burn on. There is no way the three of them could keep this level of concentration up for hours on end. But as a starting point, a mind stretcher, an inspiration....this is certainly what I am shooting for.

That makes me feel better! I had not thought of it that way. We have flashes of brilliance in our school days, but we do not sustain it nearly as long as Janice does. We have a rousing discussion (usually over history, we all love history) and then it quiets down as everyone goes to their reading or mapwork or whatever.

Maybe our small flashes of rousing discussion/debate are okay for us.

Not that Janice's day made me feel less than okay, but it certainly made me want more.

Not ever? When I think of my ideal college/school, there is a ratio of one hour of "classroom" work, like this, and 5-10 hours of more independent study...

This just feels so...classroom-y to me. I don't want at this point to have a classroom in my home. I wouldn't want to be on the delivery end, or on the receiving end, for that matter. Doesn't mean it's not good stuff, just that it's not something I'd want to duplicate.

Thanks Pam, I haven't been over there much today. Janice and I are working the TOG booth together at the NJ homeschool conference and I'm so looking forward to talking to her in person, in fact I hope we're not interrupted too much. :glare: j/k

Karen

Karen, I'll be stopping by to meet you and to see Janice. :lol: