Menu

Sonlight science

momtolgd

I would love to hear your thoughts on Sonlight science. Also, which level would you recommend for teaching both a 9 year old and a 7 year old together? I am considering the Science 2 4-day program. Looking for a way to get more science done here! Thanks. :001_smile:

Edited by momtolgd

If you like to focus on one area for the year and really go indepth, SL science will drive you crazy. It jumps around- for instance, Science 1 says it covers "animals, astronomy and physics." Also, the experiments don't always match the scheduled reading for the week, but they've made an effort in the new, revised, science this year to add optional little investigations or experiments that tie it together better. The only new science I've tried so far is science K, and we're not very far into it but we did make a weather vane and chart the wind direction and strength after reading about weather all week this week.

The dvds are excellent, there are times I don't understand the experiment directions in the book, but the dvd clears it right up. And my kids like watching it just for fun.

We get bored with the same thing all year, so SL science works for us and we enjoy the range of topics covered.

We just started using Sonlight Science 3 with my 10 year old, after trying and trying to love Exploring Creation with Astronomy and Zoology I. We both get bored with studying one topic for very long periods of time. We're in our 3rd week of Scinece 3 and are lovng it. My ds had HATED science until now, and now he really looks forward to doing it. So far, the experiments/projects do match what we're studying, like making a model of a cell which was done while we were reading RS4K Biology. The workbook assignments are not overwhelming, and provide a nice review of each day. We couldn't be happier. And their customer service is outstanding. I called to say I had mispaced the Week 2 schedule page. Within 10 minutes they had faxed me a new page. Wish more companies were like this!

Nan

I've got a just turned 10-yo and a 7 yo and we are using SL Science 3 this year and both of the kids are enjoying it. Although I've used SL every year since Pre-K, this is the first year I've done the experiments and I was really impressed with the TOPS radishes book we just completed.

I do hear a lot of people complain about SL Science being choppy, but that has never bothered us here.

Lisa

We just started using Sonlight Science 3 with my 10 year old, after trying and trying to love Exploring Creation with Astronomy and Zoology I. We both get bored with studying one topic for very long periods of time. We're in our 3rd week of Scinece 3 and are lovng it. My ds had HATED science until now, and now he really looks forward to doing it. So far, the experiments/projects do match what we're studying, like making a model of a cell which was done while we were reading RS4K Biology. The workbook assignments are not overwhelming, and provide a nice review of each day. We couldn't be happier. And their customer service is outstanding. I called to say I had mispaced the Week 2 schedule page. Within 10 minutes they had faxed me a new page. Wish more companies were like this!

Nan

It sounds like they have really improved sci 3. We are working through the version I bought 2 years ago. Other than the tops experiments there is none planned all course. There is a lot of dry reading from Introduction to Biology text(it have been replaced by RS4K), and then worksheets from readings in mysteries and marvels. I noticed in the catalogue it had a dvd now and some new books and wondered what the changes were like.

Despite all of that the kids are enjoying it. We will be using an older version of sci K with ds6 and sci 4 this year too once we are done with sci 3 around xmas time.

Thank you...I think this may be what we need. If I already have a few of the books, can I order each piece seperately? Do you miss out on anything by not getting the entire thing?

You know, I'm not sure! I know when you order a complete history core you get 10% off, forum access, a free gift and the 18 week guarantee. But I have no idea if the same thing applies for science packages. If you call or email them they are great about answering questions. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I've got a just turned 10-yo and a 7 yo and we are using SL Science 3 this year and both of the kids are enjoying it. Although I've used SL every year since Pre-K, this is the first year I've done the experiments and I was really impressed with the TOPS radishes book we just completed.

I do hear a lot of people complain about SL Science being choppy, but that has never bothered us here.

Lisa

For the experiment DVD - are all the experiments in TOPS & RS4K? So if I bought the DVD and these science books do I still need the SL Instructor's Guide? Or are some experiment details in the IG so I would have to buy it to use the DVD effectively? Thanks!

I just bought science 4 for my ds to do independently. I tried to piece together my own stuff, but just couldn't do it. It hit me a few weeks ago that the year we did sonlight science had been our best science year. And that year was science K with the book that had a rotary phone in it explaining how phones work. So, I am trying it again and really like what I see. It wouldn't have been too hard to pull together on my own, but it helps me stay on track. It's making me rethink my science plans. I may just go with sonlight science for the whole crew as they mature.

Beth

We are using Sonlight Science this year for the first time and this is the best year of science we have ever had! Science is their favorite subject and they can't wait until experiment day each week! (FWIW, we have tried/used Bob Jones Science 2; Rod and Staff Science 2 and 3; Apologia Astronomy; and NOEO Chemistry.)

My 9 yo is doing Sonlight 4 and my 7 yo is doing Sonlight 2.

I think Sonlight 2 would be a little too light for my 9 yo, so if I had to combine them, I probably would have went with Sonlight 3.

I think you might be able to buy just the items you need if you have some of them already. I would price it out both ways to see which way is cheapest. Definitely get the generic science supplies kit and the corresponding grade level supplies kit, too.

To PP -- Yes, IMO, you absolutely need the instructor guide!

To PP -- Yes, IMO, you absolutely need the instructor guide!

Thanks! I spent some more time on SL's website looking through the samples and I now see the IG has a lot more to it than just a schedule.

Are there experiments every week? The sample for Science 3, week 1 looks like there is an option to make a poster, but not really an experiment. I'm ok with making a poster (especially for classification which is hard to experiment) but want to make sure there's some kind of hands-on activity every week?

Sorry if I'm highjacking....hopefully this will help the OP too? :)

Thanks! I spent some more time on SL's website looking through the samples and I now see the IG has a lot more to it than just a schedule.

Are there experiments every week? The sample for Science 3, week 1 looks like there is an option to make a poster, but not really an experiment. I'm ok with making a poster (especially for classification which is hard to experiment) but want to make sure there's some kind of hands-on activity every week?

Sorry if I'm highjacking....hopefully this will help the OP too? :)

I'm doing the new K and have done the old 4 and there was a science experiment every week.

We enjoyed Sonlight's science. My DD had a great time doing Science K. The Discover and Do DVD was nice and the books selected are good reads. Ultimately, however, we decided to drop SL Science.

Following the recommendations in WTM, I wanted to focus on one subject area per year. I also wanted experiments that correlate to the information we were learning about. I just wanted a more organized, "scientific" science program.

We are now using R.E.A.L. Life Science and it is outstanding. It is not hard to implement, does not require a lot of planning, and common household items are used for the experiements.

We used Science Core 5 last year, and used Cores PK-4 for history/lit in our previous homeschooling years.

If you don't mind pretty much following someone else's way of organizing things and like their book choices, it can be a great way to go. I have found that I get far more done with Sonlight versus planning myself. Keep in mind that they use a fair number of secular resources, and it is not as overtly Christian as Apologia, BJUP, or A Beka science. I actually prefer that, but some find that to be a problem. They completely redid their Science awhile back, and I hear that it's better-organized than before, so opinions that you may read online may not reflect the current editions.

In Sonlight 2 there were a couple of weeks in the beginning without experiments, but we did do *something* hands-on those weeks. Since then, and in Science 4, we've done at least one if not more than one experiment each week. (The extra experiments are optional.)

Both my Science 2 and Science 4 are the newest editions. I believe they were all re-designed last year, as GVA mentioned.

For the experiment DVD - are all the experiments in TOPS & RS4K? So if I bought the DVD and these science books do I still need the SL Instructor's Guide? Or are some experiment details in the IG so I would have to buy it to use the DVD effectively? Thanks!

For SL 3, all the experiments are in the TOPS books. We just finished 5 weeks of experiments with TOPS radishes and now we will just be reading for quite a number of weeks and then we will do the TOPS corn and beans experiments over a block of time.

I would still want the IG. It schedules the reading for you and it lines up the DVD with the TOPS experiments. You don't really need the dvd, but I found it helpful especially since this is our first time using the TOPS books.

Lisa

ETA: I do not have the latest version of SL 3 science. They just updated it this year, so I'm not sure how different what I have is from the newest stuff. I just saw above that you wanted hands-on activities every week and that is definitely not the case with the version I have.

Edited by LisaTheresa

My kids have really enjoyed SL Science 4. That's the only year I've used SL Science, but I really do like it. There are typically 1 - 2 experiments each week (in the 5 day, which I use). It's not a very time consuming subject, and we typically do it just maybe 3 days a week, maybe 2 hours total each week and the 10&12 yos have no trouble getting the 5 days material done in that time frame.

So, you might consider getting the 5 day version if whatever the additional materials are appeal to you, b/c you could easily get it done in 4 days if you just combine a couple days when they are really light days (like read 2 pages in a book and answer one question!).

I am very science-y but I have trouble getting all my ducks in a row, materials purchased, etc. Soooo, I love the fact that for SL Science, you get all the books, materials, etc in one package (definitely love the supplies kits!) and it is all ready to go! It is much easier to get done, and my dc can usually do it all themselves.

But there are activities. We made a cell model out of corn syrup/candy. (In a baggie!LOL), and we made a poster for animal classification. We only finished Week 2, but looking ahead, there are more "activities" than actual "experiments". That works well for us. If my son's interested in any given assignment, it's easy enough to add an experiment, but it's not necessary. Not all the topics are geared for experiments, like classification. The activities have been fun, and easy to do. Hope this helps!

Nan

But there are activities. We made a cell model out of corn syrup/candy. (In a baggie!LOL), and we made a poster for animal classification. We only finished Week 2, but looking ahead, there are more "activities" than actual "experiments". That works well for us. If my son's interested in any given assignment, it's easy enough to add an experiment, but it's not necessary. Not all the topics are geared for experiments, like classification. The activities have been fun, and easy to do. Hope this helps!

Nan

Nan -

Are you using the newest version of SL 3? There are no activities in mine other than the TOPS experiments.

Thanks!

Lisa

Nan -

Are you using the newest version of SL 3? There are no activities in mine other than the TOPS experiments.

Thanks!

Lisa

I think you and I are using the same version. No extra activities. Does your's use the Introduction to biology book? I actually debated ordering the new sci 3 IG even though we are already on week 14 of the old one, just to have those changes, but opted not to.

I think you and I are using the same version. No extra activities. Does your's use the Introduction to biology book? I actually debated ordering the new sci 3 IG even though we are already on week 14 of the old one, just to have those changes, but opted not to.

Brandy -

Mine actually uses the Real Science 4 Kids book, but it is probably a couple of years old. I was very tempted to order the new guide myself a few weeks in, but then I decided that I could easily make do with what I have. I did order the dvd SL scheduled in with the newest version, but we haven't watched it yet.

Next year, I will still try to buy used but I am hoping to be able to get my hands on a 2009 copy of the Science 4 IG. That may be tough to do though!

Lisa

We're using the new version.Yes, it uses the Real Science for Kids Biology. The activities are listed right on the schedule page in ours. It's under the "Optional: Do Together" section. Hope this helps!

Nan

Thank you, Nan! I didn't realize SL had added more hands-on activities in the new version, so that's good to know for next year.

Lisa

Thank you all! I think this may be the way we need to go for a year to get us into doing science regularly. The kids are interested in a variety of topics right now, so I don't mind the jumping around for now.

I just need to decide whether to do Science 2 or 3 with them. I'm concerned that 3 might be too challenging for my just turned 7 year old since the age on it at the website says ages 8-11. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

At this level, it all really serves as an introduction to science. Maybe you can pick which level has the topics that would interest your child. Others will disagree, but I think the Real Science 4 Kids Biology Level 1 (At least the sections we have done) is a bit challenging for a 7 year old. I don't know about the rest since we just started Science 3. Hope this helps!

Nan

At this level, it all really serves as an introduction to science. Maybe you can pick which level has the topics that would interest your child. Others will disagree, but I think the Real Science 4 Kids Biology Level 1 (At least the sections we have done) is a bit challenging for a 7 year old. I don't know about the rest since we just started Science 3. Hope this helps!

Nan

That is what I'm concerned about. I don't want it to be too light for my 9 year old, but at the same time don't want it too difficult for my 7 year old. I can't afford to buy 2 different science levels, so I need one that will work for them both. I just can't find any information on anyone who has combined these ages for level 2 or level 3 to make an informed decision. :confused:

What about buying the level for the oldest and then adding in the RS4K pre level book for the younger one to use. I am doing this with my kiddos for a quick review of chemistry and physics with my older DD. Her reading will be from the Level 1 and my DD6's (7 in December) readings will be in the pre level. We are going to do the experiements for the Level 1 with all of them. I know that the physics pre level is available for download for something like $13 instead of $38 for the book, with more downloads coming. You can even download by chapter. They are also sometimes available used as well.

I would buy for the oldest and then you can always find resources for the younger one to use or simplify the material you have.

I'm using Science 2 right now with my 8 yo. We really like it. If you don't buy the whole set, the must-haves are the IG, the Usborne Book of Knowledge and Usborne Science Activities. Most of the others are used for a short time and you could get them at the library. The DVD just shows a guy doing the activities in the Usborne book. Some of which are just not worth watching (for example, part of our experiments a couple weeks ago was to bite into an apple and notice which teeth you use to bite, and then to chew it up--it's not so exciting to watch someone else chewing up an apple). It might be a little light for a 9 yo, but I don't think she'd be bored. I'm not bored by it, I just find myself wanting to do more than one day worth of material every day. I posted a couple days ago about topics in Science 2 here, if that would help you make your decision.

We're using SL sciences 3, from 2009. My daughter loves it and begs to do science everyday. She's my science-hater. Yup, she was. Not this year! LOL. On top of that, it seems everything we learn, we see again in everyday life within a week.

She loves Mysteries and Marvels of Nature. The Usborne Science Encyclopedia isn't as big a hit, but it's proven very useful. We studied how heat is transmitted just in time for us to start the heater in the house. RS4K is also a hit. She was mystified that there was so much 'stuff' that you just can't see. She's discovered a brand new world, which she had never been interested in before.

I didn't buy the new DVD (Incredible Creatures that Devy Evolution) because we're evolutionists. However, I go to Youtube and hunt down appropriate videos of the animals in question. We're having just as much fun.

Yes, you can buy only what you want from Sonlight. I already owned about 1/3 of the books, and some I want to read in French from the library, so I only bought the guide and maybe 4 books from Sonlight.

For those of you who are using the new level 3, do you feel it would be doable for a just turned 7 year old? Also it doesn't look to have much in the way of human anatomy, which is one thing I like about the level 2. Of course, I have books here I can supplement with there.

Thanks for all your thoughts. This board is wonderful! :001_smile:

After talking with the kids and showing them what is covered in each year, we have decided to give level 2 a try. Both kids are interested in covering more of the human body, and weather, along with the animals. I'm hoping it will be a good fit. I plan to get extra books from the library to beef it up if necessary for my 9 year old. If we like it, we may move up to level 4 next year.

Thank you all for your help with this! I really appreciate it! :001_smile: