Menu

S\O: Do you have "family" in your house that are not part of your nuclear family?

The thread about the "dying American family" got me thinking about this. We've had various and sundry people here-my FIL, a live in sitter, a Japanese exchange student, now my nephew. I rather enjoy taking in strays so to speak but it does increase the workload considerably-the exception being our live in sitter who actually contributed to running the household.

In our 20 year marriage we have had 10 different people live with us. Most of them were college students or recent grads who needed a few months to save money and get on their feet. Two different couples lived with us for several months while they waited for their house to be built.

Currently my cousin lives with us and has for 8 years. Ironically, her MOM lived with my family when my cousin was born, while her father fought in Vietnam. One of my first memories is of her coming home from the hospital when I was 2.

When I was in my parent's home, at least 8 different people lived with us during my childhood.

Leanna

We've had a variety, all young folks needing a boost and a place to stay. Seems to run in both our families. My parents have taken in more then I can count , same for his parents.

Our last one moved out, in June, shortly before he got married. We decided he needed to move on and the promised year was up.

This has added a lot of spice to our lives. Plus now we have lots of friends that are like family.

Presently, no family lives with us. But we are looking into a move, and my parents are getting older (and my sister, who is handicapped, lives with them) so it is a concern in regards to how far away we move and how much land we acquire. I would like to have space for them (chances are it would be just one parent and my sister at that point) if we move far away. By space, I mean their own, btw; an attached apartment or another house on the property. I love my family, but I don't think it would do any of us any good to go back to living with one another. When it becomes just my sister, then naturally, she would live with us. I think I would feel terrible if I didn't try to accommodate them if I can.

Right now my brother and my dad are living with us while my dad is looking to buy a home. They are moving back to CA from MI after being gone for 10 years and we are actually considering moving into his house when he gets one so that we can save money to buy our own. I love having my dad around. He is sooooo much help and my kids finally get a grandparent who sets a good example.

When I was growing up, we had aunts, uncles, cousins, friends and neighbors staying with us at some point or another. I never really thought anything of it, it's just what we do.

In the past we have had my nephew live with us off and on for a while. He was a young adult at the time and just needed a place to live and we were happy to house him. I still look fondly upon that time. And truthfully, I wasn't sure how I'd like it because I seriously like my space. I guess love covers a lot of things.