Menu

Thoughts on setting up vaccination stations at local pub/private schools

From our local paper this morning (names and locations deleted):

Once the vaccine is available, public health departments will hold clinics in middle, intermediate and high schools for students with parental consent.

[insert our town] middle and high schools will hold after-hours clinics for elementary school students and children attending parochial or private schools, according to [insert our town] School District spokeswoman. [insert our neighboring town] has a similar plan.

The County Health Department also will work with schools outside of the [county area], county health department director said.

The department anticipates administering about 36,000 doses to local students, depending on the number of families who participate, she said. County is hiring extra nurses to travel to schools along with staff to administer the vaccines.

[Neighboring town] also has hired people to help with the clinics, health department director said.

The federal government will supply the vaccines at no cost. The clinics are for students, and won't be open to the public.

[Health Department Director] said they've set up tentative clinic dates at schools depending on when the vaccines arrive. She wouldn't speculate on when that might happen, but both encouraged families to immunize children.

"We are definitely encouraging children to get vaccines," she said. "Even if they've had illness, it won't hurt them to get it.

Good idea? I'm not sure I'm completely convinced it is. Especially at the high school level, what would be the social ramifications if some of the children didn't participate for various personal reasons? Or just because it hasn't been tested well enough to dose children (strictly IMO, btw), which is why I highlighted that line. Also, I'm not sure the number of vaccines quoted in the article would cover all the students, either.

Is this for the seasonal flu or H1N1?

I remember standing in line to get the OPV. I was fine with it until I got right up to the nurse. Then she had to pry my mouth open. I suffered no lasting social ramifications.

I think permission slips would have to be sent home for this, and parents with religious exemptions would probably opt out. I do not believe a student would be able to opt out on personal reasons if a parent had signed a permission slip, but I may be wrong.

Seems to me like most kids used to be vaccinated in the schools, or am I wrong? Just going on personal memory (which is not always reliable at my age!).

ETA: For parents who want their children to be vaccinated, this is a wonderful idea. School doesn't leave much time to schlep kids to the ped's office or health department, and many health departments are out of the seasonal & H1N1 vaccines already. Kinda like hospitals holding clinics for their employees. Very convenient for those desiring the vaccine.

Edited by MeanestMomInMidwest

My state is making the H1N1 vaccines available to schools. So far, our elementary school has accepted but I haven't heard about the middle school or high school. I know of at least one elementary school that has refused.

Students have to have parental consent to receive the vaccination. The forms also contain a spot to sign if you do NOT give permission.

The letter from the state specifically mentioned that the schools were to make the vaccines available to homeschoolers who lived in their boundaries.

I know for my kids, they would be envious of anyone whose parents didn't make them get the shot. :lol:

I feel comfortable with how the school is handling it. There has been clear communication with parents and an obvious opt-in/opt-out method.

Is this for the seasonal flu or H1N1?

I remember standing in line to get the OPV. I was fine with it until I got right up to the nurse. Then she had to pry my mouth open. I suffered no lasting social ramifications.

I think permission slips would have to be sent home for this, and parents with religious exemptions would probably opt out. I do not believe a student would be able to opt out on personal reasons if a parent had signed a permission slip, but I may be wrong.

Seems to me like most kids used to be vaccinated in the schools, or am I wrong? Just going on personal memory (which is not always reliable at my age!).

Its for the H1N1 flu. Dh remembers being vaccinated at school, too, but I don't. I think what I find odd is that if parents wanted thier children to have it, wouldn't they just take them to one of the many stations/clinics around town? Maybe I'm looking into it too much, but I'm just not sure I feel the H1N1 vaccine has been tested enough to set up shop in our schools.

Its for the H1N1 flu. Dh remembers being vaccinated at school, too, but I don't. I think what I find odd is that if parents wanted thier children to have it, wouldn't they just take them to one of the many stations/clinics around town? Maybe I'm looking into it too much, but I'm just not sure I feel the H1N1 vaccine has been tested enough to set up shop in our schools.

[bolding mine]

We live in rural Vermont. Going to the doctor or health clinic is a 40-minute drive each way. It's definitely easier to get the shots at the school.

As long as it's something that's presented as an opportunity and you'd have to opt IN rather that OUT of it, I don't see a problem. Kids are in school during much of the hours when they could otherwise go to a doctor or clinic.

OTOH, if you have to get an exemption to get your kid out of that I'd have a problem with that. The whole "We're going to do this to your child unless you jump through all the right hoops" approach would be the difference there.

Some parents may not be able to afford the $25 per kid that is being charged at the drugstores in my area.

Some kids may be part of a family where both parents work and by the time everyone gets home, it is too late to go someplace to get the vaccination

Some parents may just be scatterbrained and plan to do it every day, but keep forgetting to make the call, and then when they do finally make the call find out the health department is out of the vaccination, as is every stupid Walgreens/CVS/Walmart in a 50 mile radius, and the parent does not want to drag her healthy children through the fog of sickness present at the ped's office (ummmm, yeah, this is me but with the seasonal flu vaccine. I just got notice about the H1N1's availability in my area so I guess I'll make some calls today).

The H1N1 vaccine was made exactly the same way the seasonal flu vaccine is made every year. In essence, the seasonal flu vaccine is "new" every year, because it is based off of a different strain of virus every year. From the millions of people who get the seasonal flu vaccine, adverse side effects are low. That is the rationale behind the safety of the H1N1 vaccine. Even with all that said, I understand the feeling of unease related to something new. :001_smile:

I keep looking at this as a dry run for the 'big' one. This has been a very good opportunity to figure out if the pandemic preparedness plans are actually up to snuff.

Although this flu is presenting as mostly mild, with unpredicatble pokets of severity - imagine how you'd be feeling if this was a flu with 5% or a 10% case fatality rate? People would be clamoring or actually rioting for this vaccine, & figuring out how to distribute it is a big problem.

Central processing is an efficient way of doing it, but it also puts people in close contact with each other, which may not be such a good idea if the virus is already circulating. It is a very good way of getting lots of people vax'd fast & I think it's a good idea if the disease hasn't arrived in the city yet.

Hwvr, seeing how this unfolded, I think cities with no infections are pretty scarce.......this spread globally within 6 weeks and it's just sheer dumb luck that this has a low CFR & we didn't make ourselves (as a species) very, very sick. Certainly we've learned how reluctant nations are to impose social distancing measures - the economic costs are huge (Mexico city suffered huge losses when they shut down for that week) and in the early days we don't know how bad the CFR is so we'll always be guessing.... The thing is that if we guess wrong on one hand we lose money, on the other hand we lose many lives.

Back to the schools - I think the idea with the schools and workplaces is that the people are there already and since children are super spreaders of this virus, it makes sense to start with schools.

I don't know, but I think that this is a good idea. I took my daughter to get vaccinated yesterday and we had to stand in line for 2 hours. I think if they can make it easier (with parental permission) then it would be fine. I grew up in school often not being able to do things because of religious beliefs, etc., and kids usually thought it was cool and didn't ever make fun of me. They would ask questions, but I don't think any kid is going to make fun of another kid for not having to get a shot. Probably they'll think that they are lucky!

All fair points. :)

I think what really raised my ire is when the Health Dept Dir. stated that it wouldn't hurt them. I feel that's a pretty bold, and frankly, unproven statement. By bringing a test vaccine into the places where the Producers of The Next Generation gather enmasse, assure them all things are well, and then dose them, well, I think it bothers me.

H1N1 is prevalent here. Schools have closed for several days due to absences. I'm pretty confident that bringing the vaccine to the schools is desperation and fear driven, and to a very real point, understandable. I guess, in the end, it doesn't matter what I think about it because I'm pretty sure I'm probably in the minority, my kids don't go to school and I do have the option not to vaccinate (as does everyone, for which I am thankful), but it just really bothered me. So, by the same token, I suppose it is an easy option for those seeking the vaccine.

I think what really raised my ire is when the Health Dept Dir. stated that it wouldn't hurt them.

I think his point is that having already been sick is not a contraindication to having the vaccine. I don't believe he is stating the vaccine is risk free.

Many people are worried that if they've already (unknowingly) been infected with the flu that having the vaccine will somehow cause a problem, and there isn't any evidence or biological reason that would be true. So I agree with his statement.

I got a phone call this morning that my 58 year old neighbor died of flu yesterday. He probably got it from his high school daughter.

I'm all for the vaccine clinics, the sooner the better.

All fair points. :)

I think what really raised my ire is when the Health Dept Dir. stated that it wouldn't hurt them. I feel that's a pretty bold, and frankly, unproven statement. By bringing a test vaccine into the places where the Producers of The Next Generation gather enmasse, assure them all things are well, and then dose them, well, I think it bothers me.

H1N1 is prevalent here. Schools have closed for several days due to absences. I'm pretty confident that bringing the vaccine to the schools is desperation and fear driven, and to a very real point, understandable. I guess, in the end, it doesn't matter what I think about it because I'm pretty sure I'm probably in the minority, my kids don't go to school and I do have the option not to vaccinate (as does everyone, for which I am thankful), but it just really bothered me. So, by the same token, I suppose it is an easy option for those seeking the vaccine.

Our school board is currently deciding whether or not to offer a vaccine clinic. The fact that they are debating it chaps my hide, because the Health Department has already allocated doses for each school in the county. If I want the H1N1 vacc, school is the only place my kids will be able to get it, as my ped's office has none, nor do any pharmacies anywhere close to my home (I just called everyone). The County Health Dept will not offer it to my children because we do not fit the criteria of having a baby or pregnant woman in the house or chronic illnesses. The HD's plan to vaccinate schoolchildren is through the schools, but my children's school may not offer it.

I understand some parents do not want their children to get the vaccination, but having a school clinic in no way forces anyone to receive it. For me, more options are better.

I also agree with hornblower that this is a good dry run to test the distribution system in the event of a different health event. So far, from what I've seen locally, my county & state fail. Even though ours was one of the first states to receive the H1N1 vaccine, distriibution has been spotty at best.

Apparently, the first local school-based clinic ran out of vaccine and had to turn hundreds away.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/Web/2009/102009/1020flu

I've thought it over and decided the risk of being exposed at these clinics was higher than staying home.

My kids are very healthy (only had 1 dose of antibiotic in their first 12 years) and I hope, if we do get it, the symptoms won't be severe.

I'm happy that these clinics are available to those with children who are most likely going to be exposed to the virus in a classroom setting.

I'm happy that these clinics are available to those with children who are most likely going to be exposed to the virus in a classroom setting.

After homeschooling and being able to keep one's children away from where other sick children may be, it is a whole new mindset putting my kids on the bus every morning. The school has a policy about when parents should keep kids home due to illness, but the H1N1 tends to manifest quickly. A child could seem fine in the morning, and have flu by the afternoon. Even before exhibiting symptoms, the child may have been shedding the virus all over the classroom.

If I were able to keep my children 10 feet away from every person in public, the H1N1 wouldn't even be on my radar! (10 feet is the distance the CDC has determined can be crossed by the virus to infect someone)

I just sent back the permission slips for my dc yesterday. So far, the schools are the only places for now that will have the vaccine and it is only for the students. My dc doctors office did tell me that they will have the vaccine for any children that are not in school. I have no idea where I can get the shot as of now.

I just sent back the permission slips for my dc yesterday. So far, the schools are the only places for now that will have the vaccine and it is only for the students. My dc doctors office did tell me that they will have the vaccine for any children that are not in school. I have no idea where I can get the shot as of now.

For NJ, go to NJDHSS for the vaccine locator page. Maybe you'll find something there.

I remember the annual vaccinations at elementary school. My mom says parents were relieved to have the school take care of it. As far as H1N1, I have never seen the flu wipe out one of my kids as hard and as fast as it did my dd (17). Vaccinations are on the agenda here. Still trying to verify that once my dd is fully recovered that she should still get the vaccination.

My oldest dd's school did a clinic yesterday for the swine flu mist, but it was open to the public. They started at 2:00 for students and after school hours for students from other schools. I'm not sure whether they were also vaccinating adults in high-risk categories. Dd already has the flu, plus she can't get the mist because she has asthma.

We got the email, decided not to participate, and didn't give it much more thought. Schools are logical places to hold clinics because the health dept is so small and crowded, and they can make the vac available in more neighborhoods by using schools.

I'm not sure if they had enough vaccine for everyone who signed up. I read yesterday that our area is out of the vac already.

I remember being vaccinate on multiple occasions when I was in school as a child. Also, I think it makes senses ans is more convenient for the parents to offer it in the schools.

I am contemplating getting this vaccine for my family and myself. I would prefer to not be first in line and wait a couple of weeks;) However, I did speak to pharmacist friend and from he said they have formulated this vaccine differently than the one in the 1970's to make it safer. I am a nurse and do get the regular flu shot on regular basis. I just prefer to see a little track record with new vaccines so to speak.

Our school board is currently deciding whether or not to offer a vaccine clinic. The fact that they are debating it chaps my hide, because the Health Department has already allocated doses for each school in the county.

I haven't read all of the responses, but the school board may be considering factors that haven't occurred to you yet. My sister is on the Board of Education for our hometown, and one reason for their hesitation is a possible liability issue should the (largely untested/unproven) vaccine be found later to have been harmful. Yes, school districts do get sued over such things, and it would be negligent for the school board members not to weigh the issue carefully, imo.

I haven't read all of the responses, but the school board may be considering factors that haven't occurred to you yet. My sister is on the Board of Education for our hometown, and one reason for their hesitation is a possible liability issue should the (largely untested/unproven) vaccine be found later to have been harmful. Yes, school districts do get sued over such things, and it would be negligent for the school board members not to weigh the issue carefully, imo.

I agree that it's a concern, but it seems to me that they should have consulted their lawyers and had that discussion months- or years- ago.

I keep looking at this as a dry run for the 'big' one. This has been a very good opportunity to figure out if the pandemic preparedness plans are actually up to snuff.

Although this flu is presenting as mostly mild, with unpredicatble pokets of severity - imagine how you'd be feeling if this was a flu with 5% or a 10% case fatality rate? People would be clamoring or actually rioting for this vaccine, & figuring out how to distribute it is a big problem.

Central processing is an efficient way of doing it, but it also puts people in close contact with each other, which may not be such a good idea if the virus is already circulating. It is a very good way of getting lots of people vax'd fast & I think it's a good idea if the disease hasn't arrived in the city yet.

Hwvr, seeing how this unfolded, I think cities with no infections are pretty scarce.......this spread globally within 6 weeks and it's just sheer dumb luck that this has a low CFR & we didn't make ourselves (as a species) very, very sick. Certainly we've learned how reluctant nations are to impose social distancing measures - the economic costs are huge (Mexico city suffered huge losses when they shut down for that week) and in the early days we don't know how bad the CFR is so we'll always be guessing.... The thing is that if we guess wrong on one hand we lose money, on the other hand we lose many lives.

Back to the schools - I think the idea with the schools and workplaces is that the people are there already and since children are super spreaders of this virus, it makes sense to start with schools.

Thank you for this thoughtful post! :001_smile:

Bill

As long as it's something that's presented as an opportunity and you'd have to opt IN rather that OUT of it, I don't see a problem. Kids are in school during much of the hours when they could otherwise go to a doctor or clinic.

OTOH, if you have to get an exemption to get your kid out of that I'd have a problem with that. The whole "We're going to do this to your child unless you jump through all the right hoops" approach would be the difference there.

:iagree:

I have a friend who works in Washington, DC, and he got his flu shot from an organization that set-up vaccination booths at train stations so commuters could get their H1N1 shots on the way to work.

We have not decided here whether or not to get vaccinated, but I am all for making it as easy as possible for those who choose to do so.

I remember well being vaccinated in 1976 while in school -- they rounded us 4th grade kiddos up per class -- and we waited in line in the multipurpose room. I had to "hug" an amply endowed nurse as I was in tears (the shot was a black "gun" back then). But after that, I was fine.

All part of the CDC effort to combat the H1N1... but it is only optional. Not mandatory at this point. As a former schoolteacher... it makes sense to target schools first.

:iagree: And I am not comforted by how this has been handled. We can't find it anywhere, everyone is already sick, but then in other places they are giving the vaccine to adults on their way to work? My daughter is in preschool for special ed reasons, and the public school special ed teacher is upset that the county is spending money to pay for it and I won't let her attend due to H1N1. They seem to be fine with letting all the kids get sick and letting the chips fall where they may, but I am not fine with that. But maybe I am just overreacting... I don't like being pushed.

But I certainly have had thoughts like "if this is how they are handling this, then things don't look good for us if we are ever dealing with anything worse..." And I worry that our inefficiency in this situation might be educational for those who do not like America, or society in general. And then I tell myself I'm completely paranoid!

You know I think it really depends. If it is ONLY for school children during school hours, then fine. However, opening the school site up to every single person in the neighborhood becomes a security nightmare.

I know that is a totally different viewpoint then what has been brought up but my husband is a first grade school teacher. The absolutely last thing he wants to deal with is hordes of people on campus during the school day which runs 7:30am to 5:30pm at his school.

I can't even imagine how they would guarantee the safety of 900+ students during such an event and it would be for days on end.

Then the next question is who is giving out these shots? Medical personnel? From where? We have shortages of medical personnel as it is so just who is going to be qualified to administer shots to nearly 40,000 children at a total of 40 elementary school sites in our city alone?

Just sounds like insanity to me.

Then the next question is who is giving out these shots? Medical personnel? From where?

It just says the County Health Dept will hire nurses to travel with the county staff. From where, I do not know. Probably here, though, because the hospitals here are laying staff off and working short to save $, so I would imagine it won't be hard to find helpers.

And I worry that our inefficiency in this situation might be educational for those who do not like America' date=' or society in general. And then I tell myself I'm completely paranoid![/quote']

Consider too that poor nations are probably going to fare much worse than us. Many of those nations had no money for the vaccine, have no stockpiles of Tamiflu and have very limited access to the high tech respiratory therapy which is helping to save those who are severely ill.

I think it will be a tough flu season for us but it could be a very devastating season for poorer nations.

Then the next question is who is giving out these shots? Medical personnel? From where? We have shortages of medical personnel as it is so just who is going to be qualified to administer shots to nearly 40,000 children at a total of 40 elementary school sites in our city alone?

That's what pandemic plans are all about. Because of Canada's experience with SARS, our health units have been working on pandemic preparedness for years. Plans include mobilizing retired nurses and EMTs and training pharmacists to administer the injections. Obviously there needs to be a lot of flexibility in the plans but if you're facing a really, truly devastating pandemic, then you need to be prepared to give someone a box of syringes, basic instructions and let them get to it.

Also consider, if things get THAT bad (high CFR, hospitals full & their doors closed, schools commandeered as field hospitals etc), you'd probably need the army on the streets.....

Given how things are now, public health can probably handle the admin of this shot as I think it will be similar to the seasonal flu clinics.

In our case, it's the school nurse who is administering the shot. The health department is training the school nurses.

In our case, it's the school nurse who is administering the shot. The health department is training the school nurses.

None of our elementary schools have nurses. I think they'd have to bring in out-of-town nurses because we have lines for days at the health department, ERs, etc.

So it sounds like your school is just making it available to the students. Definitely a more manageable scenario.

My hubby hasn't heard anything about school site vaccinations. Seems almost pointless now that the vast majority of the kids at his school seem to already be sick or getting over it.

That is a thought, but the school is merely providing the location. The health department will provide the vaccines, equipment, and personnell.

Giving a vaccine injection is not that difficult. RN's do it all the time, as do LPN's. I'm not sure about CNA's. Paramedics & EMT's could do it (heck, they put in IV lines in the back of a moving rig, which is much harder). I did it as a nursing student (worked a seasonal flu clinic). I could train my 9 year old son to do it in about 15 minutes.

In my area, health department nurses will be staffing the clinics at schools and only students will receive shots, depending on if the school says "yes" to the health department.

Lots of kids will have already gotten them at their peds, and others will forget to return their permission slips. I would be astonished if there was more than a 50% participation rate. So I can't see what pressure there could possibly be.

This thread just brought back memories of getting the measles vaccine in middle school. Everyone had to get the shot if they couldn't prove that they had already received it. I don't knowthe details about parental consent since I was a kid. Most kids in the school needed the shot since it was pretty new when we were at vaccination age. (OKay, I just really dated myself.)

Here is what I remember. Each class lined up in the gym. They used an air gun to give the vaccine, at least that is how it was described. The rumor was that you had better not jump when you get the shot or if would tear open your arm. I thought about that pretty hard as I waited in line. I got to the front of the line, they gave me the shot and I promptly passed out on the floor. Apparently it was quite dramatic, falling and convulsing on the ground while unconscious. I freaked out everyone who was still waiting in line. I came to with smelling salts, surrounded by nurse-type people, and went to the office until my mom picked me up. It was embarrassing, but not too much since I didn't remember most of it.

However they do it now, it will hopefully be better than that experience, lol.