Menu

Anyone NOT recommend Wii?

How is this for my first ever post -- and it's non academic. Shame on me! We're thinking of getting a Wii for family enjoyment/entertainment and some fitness during the very long, below zero winters we have. Does anyone NOT recommend the Wii?

We have never had a gaming system, not even a small handheld one. My dh and I never had one when we were growing up. Our kids really don't know what they're missing. They have a moderate interest, but it's not like they HAVE to have it. Will we do more harm than good by introducing our kids to this type of entertainment? Or is it more about setting time limits and not letting them play for hours on end? One of the reasons I ask is because I have adult friends who are highly addicted to games (they started playing as young kids), some whose marriages and families have suffered from them. Are the Wii games as highly addictive as other games out there? It looks fun and harmless, but we want to make a wise choice.

Thanks for the input!

We have a wii and are not addicted at all.

However, the boys would be if I allowed it. They would not self limit at all.

I don't have that much trouble monitoring it. They play only on weekends or breaks from school. I do allow some exceptions like having a friend over or extended bad weather. Whenever it seems like they've had it "enough" I tell them to turn it off. When they started obsessing about it a little bit last summer we put it away for a few months.

Overall, the kids like it. I don't have much interest in it. I know alot of moms that play on it but it is a "once in a blue moon" kind of thing for me. It just doesn't hold my interest.

I personally do not believe gaming systems are harmful, and I certainly don't believe they result in addiction. I can think of many things that can be addicting to some people, and not others.

We have 5 different systems, 4 that use the tv and 1 handheld. We also have no restrictions on playing. I don't believe in elevating video games to some important status that makes it a forbidden sought-after activity. My children have lots of other things they do, probably because they know the video games will still be there when they want them.

We sold the Wii system though. We didn't care for it. We prefer keeping our arms still to play games, not stand up and rock about. The Wii does have a classic controller that must be purchased separately for people who don't like the wave one. But we decided to put the money towards another system and more games. All our favorite Nintendo games are on gamecube, which we also own, so losing the Wii was just no big deal.

note: words bolded are meant to emphasize that these thoughts and opinions are relevant to my family only. Despite accusations to the contrary, I have never intended any of my responses, on any thread, to show my way is better than anyone else's way.

We have a Wii and we all really enjoy it. There are some games that we play as a family that are really a lot of fun. That said, I've let our rules slide and I regret that. We used to have a "weekends only" rule and we really need to go back to that. That's the key, though. Figure out how much time you want to allow for it and don't back down.

It's just rarely used in this house and between the Wii, Wii Fit, games, remotes, we've got a lot invested in it.

If you have a local game store, they might buy it from you. We use Game Stop and they give cash or store credit. We obviously didn't get all our money back when we traded it in, but we got over $300 for the few things we had. The Wii system is hot and Christmas is coming up which makes it even more valuable.

I wasn't going to post because you asked for NOT liking the Wii and we do. Then I read your post and wanted to tell you that we were like you when we decided. We have a 20 year old ds and we started him out with video game systems when he was 3. We just thought it was what people did. His friends had them, etc. Well... over the years he had a new game system every few years or so. He was very into gaming. He would pitch a fit over games, etc. So, we had two more kids quite a bit later on. We only have two regrets from our older one - games and something else that doesn't fit here. We decided we needed to limit games with our younger kids. That is not to say they don't have them because they do. My youngest loves many computer games for kids his age and my dd has a DS that she plays on and off. Not an addiction at all. Then came the Wii. I kept reading about how everyone here loved it. I started reading and reading some more. Last Christmas, we gave in and bought the Wii. It has been nearly a year and I gotta say I am still very pleased with this decision. We only have games that make you move. The kids use it several times a week and it keeps them active on those days they can't get out of the house. We have Wii Fit and my dd uses it to exercise quite often. I just wanted to say that I really do feel Wii is a different kind of video game system. You can choose the games you want and keep it very active. I have not had to limit the system at all because it is great exercise for my kids. Just my 2 cents!

All our favorite Nintendo games are on gamecube, which we also own, so losing the Wii was just no big deal.

I just thought I'd mention in case anyone was interested that the Wii is backwards compatable with the Gamecube. Meaning, all of the Gamecube games will play on the Wii so you only need the one system for both systems games.

This is often times a selling point because it opens the door for more options regarding games.

P.S. We have a Wii and we love it. It was one of the best family purchases we have ever made. :001_smile:

We have never had any gaming system until a year ago when we bought dd a DS. Then 6 months ago we bought a Wii after her neurologist mentioned that some of the games were good for her balance, etc.

My kids love it, but usually play it when it is raining outside or they are done with school for a break or something. I'm guessing it gets turned on a couple of times a week here, usually for 30 or 45 minutes. When they do use it they love it, but definitely they are not addicted at all, and that was my biggest worry.

I just thought I'd mention in case anyone was interested that the Wii is backwards compatable with the Gamecube. Meaning, all of the Gamecube games will play on the Wii so you only need the one system for both systems games.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I should have explained further that since we owned a gamecube, we didn't need the Wii to play those games. We didn't find any Wii games that we loved, so having the Wii system was totally unnecessary. Also, when the gamecube games are played on the Wii, you can't use the wii remote. You have to use the classic controller. Obviously the technology of the gamecube games was behind the current, but I've known some people who were surprised when the Wii remote didn't work with gamecube games. The best part of the Wii was making our little mi characters. :)

Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I should have explained further that since we owned a gamecube, we didn't need the Wii to play those games. We didn't find any Wii games that we loved, so having the Wii system was totally unnecessary. Also, when the gamecube games are played on the Wii, you can't use the wii remote. You have to use the classic controller. Obviously the technology of the gamecube games was behind the current, but I've known some people who were surprised when the Wii remote didn't work with gamecube games. The best part of the Wii was making our little mi characters. :)

Oh, I understood your reasons for selling it. ;) I agree with you that it you guys weren't really using it the money would be better spent on new games, new books or whatever.

I just wanted to let others know that the Wii was compatible with the gamecube because if they were trying to decide on buying one or not that might be an added perk they didn't know about that might help them in making their decision.

I enjoyed making my Mii character until I used the Wii Fit. My Mii blew up like the state puff marshmallow! :svengo: Of well, at least it was motivating. :D

Well since you asked......

I am one of those who would not recommend the Wii.

This is not intended to offend anyone so please don't take it as such. These are just my opinions.

We do not own one and never will.

However, whenever the kids have the opportunity to play, I let them (at friends houses, etc.). I have been exposed to it and know a bit about it.

The noises, lights, etc. are very "video gamey" because it is a video game, surprise, surprise. It would very much disturb the mood of our home. Eventually we could get over the noise, but I really wouldn't want to.

Someone else also talked about not really get a good workout and this has been my observation as well. You dont really do the activity. My son likes to box when he plays. No technique needs to be involved whatsoever, jsut some sort of sporatic punching for example

I was actually excited about Guitar Hero because I love music and thought it would be good way to get kids intersted. Upon playing it I was so disappointed. It really is just everyone staring at a televsion without much interaction with eachother (in my opinion). Noone is looking at eachother or directy communicating with eachother. I am not sure why that bothers me so much, it just does. And as far as the musical aspect of the game goes, it really is a joke. The guitar is not even real, just buttons like a video game. In fact, it might even hinder kids from learning rythmn appropriately.

We also have witnessed friends who had just as much a problem with Wii than anyother gaming systems as far as addiction issues go. The guitar in guitar hero was broke because of a tantrum from a normally very controlled and mellow child.

I guess I am in the mindset that real exercize is so much better. In colder climates I understand the struggle though. I live in Montana. However, for us I just don't see it as adding enough postive to counteract what we view as the negative.

Sort of rambling, sorry.

emerald

I am also not in favor of getting a Wii system. We don't have one, but have occasionally been encouraged/forced to try them when we visit friends' homes. This is just my opinion and as I see here, others have other thoughts on this.

IMO, my dd gets plenty of screen time without adding another game system. We are actually working hard to control this with her and I would never willingly bring in another option. As was mentioned, I think the Wii gives the illusion of being active, playing sports, or instruments, without actually giving the benefits. Sports and musical instruments require the finely tuned, coordinated use of a number of muscles to perfect the desired movements. With Wii, it is primarily broad strokes done for the effect, not the actual technique of hitting a tennis ball, throwing a bowling ball, or playing a guitar. IMO, children would be much better served by spending their time interacting with instructors and other players, and practicing the actual skills for their activity of interest. I don't see that the Wii produces either ability or facility.

Not long ago, my 11yo dd had a major disagreement with her best friend that resulted in them not speaking to each other for several weeks. It was over whether it was better to excel in a virtual world or the real one. The friend loves her Wii and dd loves to go do real-life activities. I guess it is obvious that we are actively seeking real-life experiences instead of electronic ones.

Regarding the possibility of addiction, it can occur. But I don't think it is all that much more of a problem with Wii than any other gaming system. If the people in your family have addictive personalities, then I would give serious consideration to the potential for problems. Parents can always come up with usage rules, but as children age, they often seem to find ways around those rules. There is a very interesting and disturbing movie called Second Skin that addresses the issue of online gaming addiction. Of course they highlighted the worst case examples to make their point, but it did make me see how even something as innocent as Webkinz could steer a person in that direction. IMO, it is worth watching and discussing with your spouse. It is NOT for younger children.

The bottom line for me is that 1)dd already has enough screen time, and 2)I would much rather she go outside and play than stay inside with the tv on, and 3)I would rather she spend her time learning real skills rather than virtual ones. I suppose a Wii would be a better option than a sit-down computer game, but I don't see it as a valid subsitute for real activities. HTH

I'm neutral about it. I've always been anti-gaming/video stuff, even in college. It seems purposeless (but then again, I have an over-zealous "purpose" gene...everything has to have higher-level purpose or I bypass it).

We don't have TV and our kids have started playing DS games only in the last year. Anyhow, we got the kids a Wii for Christmas last year because my brother's family has one and we had a BLAST playing Outdoor Challenge with them. So it's been nearly a year and we have played it....maybe 6 times. Honestly, I forget about it. And my kids forget about it. My dh and I decided we were either going to sell it this year or buy other games that might make it more fun for the winter. Not sure what we'll do....see, I'm just neutral. :001_huh: That probably doesn't help you at all except to say that I doubt seriously your kids will become addicted if you establish parameters, especially since it sounds like you are not big gamers in general.

Well since you asked......

I am one of those who would not recommend the Wii.

This is not intended to offend anyone so please don't take it as such. These are just my opinions.

We do not own one and never will.

However, whenever the kids have the opportunity to play, I let them (at friends houses, etc.). I have been exposed to it and know a bit about it.

The noises, lights, etc. are very "video gamey" because it is a video game, surprise, surprise. It would very much disturb the mood of our home. Eventually we could get over the noise, but I really wouldn't want to.

Someone else also talked about not really get a good workout and this has been my observation as well. You dont really do the activity. My son likes to box when he plays. No technique needs to be involved whatsoever, jsut some sort of sporatic punching for example

I was actually excited about Guitar Hero because I love music and thought it would be good way to get kids intersted. Upon playing it I was so disappointed. It really is just everyone staring at a televsion without much interaction with eachother (in my opinion). Noone is looking at eachother or directy communicating with eachother. I am not sure why that bothers me so much, it just does. And as far as the musical aspect of the game goes, it really is a joke. The guitar is not even real, just buttons like a video game. In fact, it might even hinder kids from learning rythmn appropriately.

We also have witnessed friends who had just as much a problem with Wii than anyother gaming systems as far as addiction issues go. The guitar in guitar hero was broke because of a tantrum from a normally very controlled and mellow child.

I guess I am in the mindset that real exercize is so much better. In colder climates I understand the struggle though. I live in Montana. However, for us I just don't see it as adding enough postive to counteract what we view as the negative.

Sort of rambling, sorry.

emerald

:iagree:Not in my house.

Well, it's a game system. A very, very good one. But it's still a game system. If you don't want a game system in your house, you should skip it. Otherwise, it's a tool and can be used in positive or negative ways. Some games (and some personalities) support interaction among players a great deal more than others. Some games really *can* be a great ice-breaker and support chatter and interaction in the real world. Some games not so much. Some personalities are more prone to screen-addiction, and yes, I think you're right to have concerns about that.

That said, we have a Wii and a number of other systems (console and handheld) because of dh's work. Our kids enjoy playing some games on the Wii (and other systems -- I do think Wii is probably the best choice for family gaming), though they play very few hours overall. During the school year, they don't have any screen time (television, games, etc) during the week. There's just too much else going on -- I have no idea when they'd have *time* to play games or watch television! But on weekends they're allowed screen time with the same rules that we've always applied: Ask first. The answer is "yes, ma'am", regardless of my response (whether yes, no, or later). Any arguing results in forfeiting all screen time for a period of days. ... That has always worked well for us in the past. It's just that as they kids have gotten older and had more schoolwork and more time spent on extra-curriculars, we can't fit screen time in on school days.

I wouldn't rely on Wii for physical fitness. It's fun and some games *can* leave you breathless and burn some calories. For getting some physical play in on the occasional foul-weather day, it can be great! But no one should imagine that it's like *Actually* getting out for a run or playing tennis, etc. Still, it can be great fun, and if getting out is not an option on occasion, it could be one more weapon against cabin fever. :)

If you want a game system, Wii is a good one. Set some ground rules from the beginning and stick to them.

If you don't want a game system though, that's totally okay too. :)