Menu

Delaware famous for ???

We are doing a study on all the states but I can't come up with something for Delaware's People and Places. For New York we had Ground Zero, the Statue of Liberty, Niagara Falls, the Baseball Hall of Fame, four presidents born there. . . All I have so far for Delaware is Holy Trinity Church, the oldest church building in the country. Anyone from Delaware want to chime in? :D

Also, it was the first state to ratify the US Constitution.

Nylon was first produced in Delaware by the E.I. duPont Company.

The first log cabins were built in Delaware by Swedish settlers who arrived in 1638.

Got the first state thing covered by the nickname, The First State. I looked up Biden since I couldn't figure out why he wasn't listed in anything I saw. I guess he was a senator from there but was born in Pennsylvania. We could use him though since it looks like it will be a short list. :001_smile: The log cabin thing is interesting. I'll add that too. I have the DuPont Company down under our section for Products.

How funny. We are doing a state study with several other families and will be doing Delaware tomorrow. We sure didn't find much to talk about, but we did find that they manufacture JELLO there! So, our snack will be 6 different kinds of Jello tomorrow.

Our Delaware dinner will be roasted chicken (the blue hen is the state bird and it is a leading chicken producer), pumpkin bread, succotash, milk (official state beverage--like most other states!) and peach pie (official state dessert). We've had so much fun with this study. We've only done New England so far and are now doing the mid-Atlantic states. One fun thing about homeschooling is how much I am learning!

We used to live in Delaware years ago so my memory is a little fuzzy. It is the tax free state. How I miss that. I forget *why* there is no sales tax though. I also miss that it only has 3 counties in the entire state-PA has over 60. It also had one area code for the whole state(that may have changed though)-my neighbors a few blocks down here have a different area code. It was called-First State and Small Wonder. Wilmington, DE used to be considered the credit card capital when I lived there(don't know if it still is). Many cc companies had their corporate offices in Wilmington. We lived near the capital, Dover. Dover Downs has NASCAR races. Rehobeth Beach is a great vacation destination. Sussex County had lots of chicken farms-and yet chicken was so overpriced there:glare:

I have maintained for years that I don't believe Delaware exists. ;) I've never met anyone from Delaware, I don't know anything about Delaware. I never hear news of anything that happened in Delaware. My husband tries to convince me by telling me he met someone from Delaware. Hogwash! It struck me as funny that you were having trouble coming up with something for Delaware. :lol:

(I should probably venture further from the Midwest. I realize that.)

We just studied Delaware yesterday and one of our resources was the Klutz Wacky Atlas. My dds most liked Lewes, Delaware where they hold an annual pumpkin catapulting contest. A few years ago it states they tossed one over 4,500 feet. They also enjoyed that Thomas Edison was a judge in the first beauty contest held in Rehobeth Beach. These may not be very educational but my dds really enjoyed learning about Delaware.

We lived in Delaware for many years while dh was in grad school. My oldest daughter was born there actually. We lived in the southern part of the state, affectionately known as Slower Lower Delaware. During the winter, it was slow indeed until the summer tourists came.

Caesar Rodney has an interesting story about arriving late to Philly for an important mtg with the Continental Congress. ;) That would be an easy story to look up and enjoy.

We spent many drives west behind trucks full of chickens & read some info about the chickens outnumbering the DE residents 10 to 1. I believe it. They are everywhere.

Dover AFB is active & important.

I'm sure there's more...no sales tax is nice but it's not the only state with this perk.

Have fun on your state study!

I have maintained for years that I don't believe Delaware exists. ;) I've never met anyone from Delaware, I don't know anything about Delaware. I never hear news of anything that happened in Delaware. My husband tries to convince me by telling me he met someone from Delaware. Hogwash! It struck me as funny that you were having trouble coming up with something for Delaware. :lol:

(I should probably venture further from the Midwest. I realize that.)

It exists! I've driven through it many a time. :tongue_smilie:

The first thing I think of when someone mentions Delaware is tolls and traffic. The next thing is there is no sales tax, so it's a good place to go to buy high ticket items. :D After that, I think of Du Pont. I think they own the state.

( full discloser: I grew up in Jersey :001_smile:)

Yes, but in Delaware it isn't called pumpking catapulting - it's 'Punkin Chunkin' and the World Championships are coming up soon :)

I live in Maryland, right across the state line from Delaware, so I know that it does actually exist LOL! We do a lot of our shopping there because there is no sales tax.

Heather in MD

We just studied Delaware yesterday and one of our resources was the Klutz Wacky Atlas. My dds most liked Lewes, Delaware where they hold an annual pumpkin catapulting contest. A few years ago it states they tossed one over 4,500 feet. They also enjoyed that Thomas Edison was a judge in the first beauty contest held in Rehobeth Beach. These may not be very educational but my dds really enjoyed learning about Delaware.

Yes, but in Delaware it isn't called pumpking catapulting - it's 'Punkin Chunkin' and the World Championships are coming up soon :)

I live in Maryland, right across the state line from Delaware, so I know that it does actually exist LOL! We do a lot of our shopping there because there is no sales tax.

Heather in MD

Thanks for the link. I'll let my dds see it tomorrow - and I will also let them know its called 'Punkin Chunkin'. :001_smile:

Heather in MD

I forgot about the Punkin chunkin:) They also have sandcastle building championships at Rehobeth Beach.

This made me :D, as it reminded me of the movie Wayne's World, where Wayne and Garth are traveling all over the US. When they get to DE, they kind of stop, and say, "We're in...Delaware." Apparently, they had a hard time thinking of things to say about the state, too. :lol:

I forgot about the Punkin chunkin:) They also have sandcastle building championships at Rehobeth Beach.

"Rehoboth Beach...the nation's summer capital". Who knew? :) (Taken from the Rehoboth Beach website, of course.) Maybe we should have our own punkin chunkin in the front yard....

This made me :D, as it reminded me of the movie Wayne's World, where Wayne and Garth are traveling all over the US. When they get to DE, they kind of stop, and say, "We're in...Delaware." Apparently, they had a hard time thinking of things to say about the state, too. :lol:

That is too funny! But I'm sure it's a lovely state!

I was reading something last night about Delaware. It is the only state in the U.S. that does not have an airport. When I lived there, there was an airport in Newark, DE(or Wilmington). I read yesterday that it closed a year or two ago. There are a few small airfields and Dover AFB. But if you want to get a commercial flight you need to go to Philly-or elsewhere.

The first thing I think of when someone mentions Delaware is tolls and traffic.

I read that as "TRolls and traffic". I thought that you were saying that all of our recent trollish activity on the boards lately was a result of some internet activity in Deleware! (if indeed such a place actually exists)

:lol:

Carry on... :auto: