Menu

Ugh. Barn rats.

HOW do you prevent these, and how do you get rid of them? They're digging up the stone dust from beneath the stall mats, are digging out the sand under the tack room, it's awful! Dh has killed a huge amt. of them from Dcon, and I hate to use that stuff. I hate to make an animal suffer, but these rats are awful! I'm afraid they're going to make my animals sick! Our barn is only 6 years old.

I'm going to see if I can find feral cats. is that what most do?

I hate it when they run by my feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have several in our area that will relocate a small colony of ferral cats to your property--you just provide shelter and mimimal food. The cats come with vax. and spayed/neutered... it does take a bit of work to get them acclimated (so they will stay around)... but they would LOVE to take care of your rodent problem!

:D

HOW do you prevent these, and how do you get rid of them? They're digging up the stone dust from beneath the stall mats, are digging out the sand under the tack room, it's awful! Dh has killed a huge amt. of them from Dcon, and I hate to use that stuff. I hate to make an animal suffer, but these rats are awful! I'm afraid they're going to make my animals sick! Our barn is only 6 years old.

Yes, you need barn cats. Many. Many barn cats. I have at least a dozen I can ship over right now. What's your address again? :D

When we moved to our farm we had mice that would literally wait in the feeders for us to feed the horses. You couldn't catch them - they'd stay out of reach, but they certainly weren't afraid of being seen.

Then we got cats... shortly thereafter, there were no mice that we saw unless the cats were eating them - AND we found rat bodies left for us to clean up. Apparently at least one didn't care for the taste of rat, but it didn't stop them from getting killed...

I would never live on a farm without cats. We've had up to 7 - have 4 now.

That's what we do too, but we have our female cats fixed. If you don't do that you will shortly have a cat problem.

All of ours are fixed now. If you don't fix the Toms they definitely spray more and I don't care for that. We used to have one unfixed female simply because we liked the kittens (and had no problem finding them homes). However, she got attacked by an animal earlier this year and died. We're not replacing her...

Cats...we found two gifts this week, a decapitate LARGE rat and a mouse...they get the job done and I think they enjoy it! :)

Tara

Our cat brought us two large rats as gifts this week. Of course, we would prefer that she would stick around and clear out the field mice from our basement rather than going after the rats in the barn next door :glare: , but she's so proud of herself we can't help but praise her.

Ewwww rats *does icky poo poo dance* :eek::svengo:

Manx is the breed one poster was referring to.

Check out the 'free pet' section on Craigslist, etc. Some rescues will say right out that they have feral cats for rehoming to a farm.

Good luck!

Rats. *icky poo poo dance* :leaving:

You reminded me to fill out the local feral cat rescue application. We had rats around last winter...we left a half bag of buckwheat in the garage and forgot about it, and boy, were we ever sorry. Our English Shepherd puppy covered herself with glory yesterday by rooting out three different nests of field mice/voles in the garden and consuming them. She didn't want dinner last night, either. We're planning to add two spayed female barn cats to the family this fall. Unless, that is, one of you can give me a compelling reason why I'd want a tom. I hate spraying.

Yes, you need barn cats. Many. Many barn cats. I have at least a dozen I can ship over right now. What's your address again? :D

:lol::lol:

We only have one barn cat. I see an occational tiny mouse now and then but never any rats. Hmmm, I think I'll look around though. Yikes!

My vet also owns a horse farm. He has barn cats and does not feed them at all. He says they work for their living. He does worm them and vaccinate. But they have to hunt to eat and they are fat and healthy.

When we moved to our farm we had mice that would literally wait in the feeders for us to feed the horses. You couldn't catch them - they'd stay out of reach, but they certainly weren't afraid of being seen.

Then we got cats... shortly thereafter, there were no mice that we saw unless the cats were eating them - AND we found rat bodies left for us to clean up. Apparently at least one didn't care for the taste of rat, but it didn't stop them from getting killed...

I would never live on a farm without cats. We've had up to 7 - have 4 now.

we have three cats and I've seen all of them in the barn. I know my cats kill stuff around the house but apparently they're doing their job in the barn.

If I get feral cats, will they fight with my cats?

That's what we do too, but we have our female cats fixed. If you don't do that you will shortly have a cat problem.

we ABSOLUTELY will not have any cats without having them spayed/neutered. DD wants a kitten SO bad and I tell her I've never had one. It breaks my heart to see so many animals put down, I rescue all my cats and dogs.

Boy, I'm getting that puppy itch.

:lol::lol:

We only have one barn cat. I see an occational tiny mouse now and then but never any rats. Hmmm, I think I'll look around though. Yikes!

My vet also owns a horse farm. He has barn cats and does not feed them at all. He says they work for their living. He does worm them and vaccinate. But they have to hunt to eat and they are fat and healthy.

we have a river close enough to our house that our barn COULD attract a river rat. I've been told some of those are so big, bigger than a cat. The rat could hurt the cat, and the cat couldn't go after the rat! Can you IMAGINE?!!!! Rats sure are cute. I really feel bad for them when I find one dead. But they run after me and TOTALLY freak me out! If river rat did that??!!! :eek::eek::svengo::svengo::svengo::svengo: THEY ALL NEED TO GO!!!!

Our English Shepherd puppy covered herself with glory yesterday by rooting out three different nests of field mice/voles in the garden and consuming them. .

OOH! just wanted to pop in to say how much I love English Shepherds! GREAT breed, though little known in this country.

That is all. I prefer not to think about the rats. :eek:

astrid

Cats are very territorial and have a social ranking system. I don't think that you would want to mix your pets with feral cats or you will be treating abcessed wounds. Regular worming is a must with outdoor cats. We've had a couple of barn rat "presents" from our 3 - 4 cats. Since we brought home our first cat I have not seen a live rat. The cats all get along more peacefully when they are spayed and nuetered :)

OOH! just wanted to pop in to say how much I love English Shepherds! GREAT breed, though little known in this country.

That is all. I prefer not to think about the rats. :eek:

astrid

I love that someone knows what the heck I'm talking about! They always think I mean an Old English Sheepdog.