Menu

PLEASE help me buy a new washer!!

I need some advice/input. We are in need of a new washer. I am doing laundry for 10 which requires multiple large loads each day.

I KNOW I need the largest capacity I can find, but just what is that exactly? How large is a really LARGE washer, and which ones are best? I also want ones that spins the clothes very thoroughly so they can spend less time in the dryer, or on the line when the weather cools down.

Do I want a front-load?

Do I want a new top-load with NO agitator?

A regular old agitator-type with a HUGE capacity?

A new steam washer?

PLEASE tell me what I want based on your positive or negative experiences.

THANKS!!

I love my Fisher Paykel Ecosmart topload. It's a top loader with an agitator but I can fit just as much in it as I could in my old LG Front loader. Things seem to get rinsed more throughly with the new one and it spins the clothes just as dry as the FL. It also doesn't use any more electricity or water (at least that's what my bills reflect) I had an LG front loader before and it only lasted a little over 4 years before the transmission was shot and LG had the worst customer service I ever dealt with. I know there are many that love their LG's but dh has sworn we'll never own another one. He also loves the new Fisher Paykel. I like that I can use either regular or HE detergent it doesn't matter which was nice because when the old one died I had just stocked up on detergent and FP told me it was just fine to use it up and then I could choose whether to stick with HE or just get regular detergent when I need to buy more. The FP is direct drive which means there is no transmission to break and it's so quiet I usually forget it's on. My LG used to shake the whole house when it spun because it was in a 2nd floor laundry room (don't ask, we rent so have no choice).

Anyway that's my experience and .02.

Our front-loader is notorious (only found out after searching for solutions online) for getting a moldy smell and requiring 'maintenance'. Its an LG. I really wish I'd researched Consumer Reports or bought one at the specific recommendation of someone who had the same washer.

We've had a lot of frustration out of ours--and we're stuck with it. Don't rush on this decision! You don't realize how essential a good washer is to the operation of a family until you live with a crummy one and everyone smells moldy all the time!

I can't give you a specific brand recommendation, but I won't get another LG. They might not all be like this--but ours has been a dud.

because when my husband sweats in any of his clothes, he smells like sour milk, and sometimes I do too. The clothes are THAT bad. Also, our towels smell okay until you go to dry off with them, then - YUCK - the sour milk smell again.

In addition to that, our lid has completely rusted at the hinges and anything that touches it gets stained. It also doesn't spin the clothes really well, causing us to have to dry the batches longer (not good for the electricity bill when you're doing 4-5 batches/day on average.

I'm not complaining - this washer has been put to the test for 11 years and it really does okay, but it is time for a new one.

Cabrio!

- It's not that expensive and pretty cheap to repair.

- No agitator, so easier on clothes.

- It's HUGE--the biggest on the market last year!

- It's quiet.

- It's high-efficiency, even though it's a top-loader.

They have not been on the market long and now that I have had one for 3 years and had two repair visits (one paid for by Whirlpool because it's a widespread problem) I am realizing that there are some issues with this machine and it's not just going to go and go and go like my last, old-fashioned Whirlpool.

I haven't had a problem yet....

3.7 cu ft capacity compared to the Bravos at either 4.7 or 5.0. That seems like a good bit more room.

IDK. I'm reading reviews and I have seen quite a few positive reviews on the Bravos, but some negatives about it going "off balance" a lot and that concerns me a bit - we tend to have large loads with lots of jeans and stuff. I don't want it to always be getting messed up.

Does the Fisher seem to have this problem? Are there any larger capacity ones?

I'll be the voice of... well, I'll be the oddball. We have an LG front loader and dryer that we got when we were expecting the boys, so around 5 1/2 years ago, and we've never had an issue with either of them needing "maintenance" or smelling moldy.

With any front loader, you need to leave it open to keep it from smelling moldy, though. When you close it, the door seals, and any moisture inside will start smelling "off".

And bless your heart, doing laundry for ten. I can barely keep up with laundry for five. :001_smile:

I just got a large capacity (4.0, I think) GE Profile. It spins faster than a traditional washer and i love that because the clothes really do dry much faster. It's a top loader, which fits better in my space and costs way less than a front loader.

That said, I don't think it does an awesome job at cleaning.

I'd look for a top loading, fast-spinning, water and energy efficient beast of a machine that wasn't a GE Profile.:glare:

hth!

They have not been on the market long and now that I have had one for 3 years and had two repair visits (one paid for by Whirlpool because it's a widespread problem) I am realizing that there are some issues with this machine and it's not just going to go and go and go like my last, old-fashioned Whirlpool.

Sorry to disagree, but I've had my Cabrio just under 3 years and have never had a problem. I love it :001_smile: It works great and has a HUGE capacity. It was out for a few years under the Kenmore brand before Whirlpool marketed it under their own brand. So if you are researching reviews online look at both models. I'll see if I can find the name for you.

Mary

ETA: The Kenmore twin to the Cabrio is the Oasis. The Cabrio spins very fast, so the clothes are practically dry when it's done. So drying time is less. They are very wrinkled tho', so I just try to shake them out as I put them into the dryer. That allows the dryer to remove the wrinkles.

Edited by Mary in VA

Our front-loader is notorious (only found out after searching for solutions online) for getting a moldy smell and requiring 'maintenance'. Its an LG. I really wish I'd researched Consumer Reports or bought one at the specific recommendation of someone who had the same washer.

We've had a lot of frustration out of ours--and we're stuck with it. Don't rush on this decision! You don't realize how essential a good washer is to the operation of a family until you live with a crummy one and everyone smells moldy all the time!

I can't give you a specific brand recommendation, but I won't get another LG. They might not all be like this--but ours has been a dud.

I LOVE my LG Front Loader and it is 6 years old and works great, never had a musty/moldy day in its entire life.

I will say the boot (that is the rubber ring) has a tear and I am going to fix it myself so I have been doing alot of research on how to fix etc and I am amazed at how many people who have purchased front loaders have mold problems. It is not just LG, it is many of the major brands....

I know that LG changed their models configuration the year after I bought mine, and mine has never had a problem. Friends with same model never had a problem (it is the LG WM0532) but I see many with other models complaining of same thing as commenter above.

I would really do your research, even within brand names, one model may be wonderful and another model by same manufacturer is a problem.

As the one poster stated, research research research.

I have found the laundry forum at Garden WEb to be one of the best sources for feedback on laundry, buying a washer, etc.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laundry/

We have a Whirlpool Duet, and are currently negotiating with Whirlpool to buy it back from the mildew/mold issue. We live in a very dry area, can't imagine someone in wet climate. 3 family members have develope mild to moderate asthma since having this machine.

I was also looking at the Maytag Bravos or the Cabrio...both are on sale at Lowes, starting today.

We just recently had to replace our washer and dryer and chose Samsung front loaders. So far (about 6 months), so good. We have had no moldy/musty smells and they are so much faster. I do a lot of laundry as there are 7 of us who live here and everyone, due to activities (gym, dance, baseball, etc.) or just playing out on the property, changes clothes at least twice a day.

Our last pair was a Maytag and they lasted 15 years!

is a real problem, and with ALL makes and models. However, one of the salesmen I talked with today (at a private furniture store so seemingly much more knowledgeable than your basic Home Depot worker), told me it is really not a huge problem to deal with. The gasket does hold some water between the layers. He said to leave the door open, wipe the gasket out, or, even use a clorox wipe every couple of weeks to solve the problem.

I'm really having issues now though. It seems the agitator-free top loads have their own issues just as the front-loads have theirs.

I was wondering if anyone had bought Samsung. If I go with front loads, I am torn between a Frigidaire set for $900 (after $100 rebate) or a Samsung set for $1200.

If I go with toploads, I have NO CLUE...

I have had a set of Samsungs for about a year and half and I love mine. I needed something to be quiet because it is installed on the second floor (wood) and sits right by all the bedrooms. My Samsung is actually quieter than my older top loader (which was in bad shape so louder than normal).

I'd get them again even if it was installed in the basement because I've been very happy with them. My sister has a Maytag and my MIL has an LG and both complain how much they move on the wood floors and mine hasn't moved an inch.

the LG. Just to confuse you. ;) Had it for a year and love it. We run the occasional load with a tablespoon or two of bleach, and that seems to have fixed the "stink" issue. The variety of settings is fan-tastic. The electric and water bills have dropped significantly, even with an increase in number of (very large) loads run -- at least three a day. Laundry for eight plus here. We lurve it.

I love my LG washer and dryer and I've had them...probably 7 years. I don't have a problem with stinkiness but I do leave the door open, add a little vinegar to my rinse and wipe the seal with clorox wipes every once in a while. The washer gets the clothes so much cleaner than my old top-loader it's amazing.