Menu

If you use the R&S english worksheets

Quiver0f10

How do you use them? Right now I have been teaching the lesson one day and having them do the written and review questions, then doing the worksheet the next day. At this rate we will only get through half the book. I do like the worsheets so I'd like to keep using them, but I don't know if I want to drop the written book work either.

I mostly just use the workpages for the lessons that will require a lot of writing out and can't really be done orally. Verb tense charts or spellings of plural possessives are good examples. Otherwise, since the workpages generally just echo the work that's done in the lesson, I only use them for extra review as needed. My ds starts with the oral review section, if he flies through it the lesson is done. If I think he needs more review I'll have him do the written review section too. If it's still not sticking by then, I'll see if there's a workpage for that lesson. (We do nearly all of the diagramming on the white board.)

We do all of the lessons orally unless the lesson has a worksheet. Usually, my son reads the lesson, we do the class practice, written exercises, and review exercises orally. If there's a worksheet, he does it after our oral time. My middle son likes to do it this way. However, my oldest son is in R&S English 8. He likes to do the worksheet before our oral time. I check his work, and if he has shown mastery, then I shorten the amount of oral work we do. As long as they learn the material, it doesn't matter to me, but we do the worksheet on the same day as the corresponding lesson. This schedule allows us to finish the book in the school year.

HTH!

We do all of the lessons orally unless the lesson has a worksheet. Usually, my son reads the lesson, we do the class practice, written exercises, and review exercises orally. If there's a worksheet, he does it after our oral time. My middle son likes to do it this way. However, my oldest son is in R&S English 8. He likes to do the worksheet before our oral time. I check his work, and if he has shown mastery, then I shorten the amount of oral work we do. As long as they learn the material, it doesn't matter to me, but we do the worksheet on the same day as the corresponding lesson. This schedule allows us to finish the book in the school year.

HTH!

This is very similar to the way we do it. We do the oral section and then if there is a worksheet she will do that instead of the written section. If there is not worksheet then I usually have her do half of the written section. This daughter hates to write and this has worked well for us.

This is very similar to the way we do it. We do the oral section and then if there is a worksheet she will do that instead of the written section. If there is not worksheet then I usually have her do half of the written section. This daughter hates to write and this has worked well for us.

This is basically how we use them as well.

I used the worksheets as you are using them the first year I taught R&S English. I quickly dropped the worksheets. I did use them just on lessons that I thought required extra practice, but as I became more comfortable teaching the curriculum, dd started catching on quickly enough to not need extra practice.

I don't use them in place of the lesson, as I do not find them to be similar to the work in the book in many cases. Thye tend to practice only one aspect of the lesson, rather than comprehensively working all of the concepts covered. So I just quit getting them at all. :001_smile:

We do all of the lessons orally unless the lesson has a worksheet. Usually, my son reads the lesson, we do the class practice, written exercises, and review exercises orally. If there's a worksheet, he does it after our oral time.

This is exactly how we do it:)

We've always done it this way:

If there's a worksheet, they use it instead of the written exercises. If there's no worksheet, they do the written exercises. If they are still young (3rd or 4th) we often do the written exercises orally.

If there's no worksheet and the written exercises involve adding punctuation or correcting capitalization (i.e. they would be doing a ridiculous amount of copying), I make an enlarged copy of the written exercises on the copier and have them use it as a worksheet.

Additionally, I often have them complete half the sentences in a set of exercises, and if they make no mistakes at all, they don't have to do the second half. This encourages careful work. I make no exceptions. If they make even one small error, they have to do the second half. Otherwise, I spend my entire day in negotiations for which I have neither the time nor the patience.

ETA: I'm adding this because I know you're working with a lot of students as I am , Jean. If you think it would work for you it might make your life easier. :-) I work with the dc on R&S lessons through 5th. By the time they get to R&S 6, they are doing it independently, including checking their own exercises, except the writing lessons which I check. They do all chapter reviews orally with me through 10th grade. This way I can catch any trouble they might be having. This system has worked very well for us as it has freed me up to work more with the younger dc and it has taught the older dc how to work more independently.

Edited by Luann in ID
added

I did use them just on lessons that I thought required extra practice

I don't use them in place of the lesson, as I do not find them to be similar to the work in the book in many cases. Thye tend to practice only one aspect of the lesson, rather than comprehensively working all of the concepts covered. . :001_smile:

:iagree: I use them only if my dc need extra help on something, and usually what they need help w/ isn't on the worksheet (same w/ math! :tongue_smilie: ) I go over it w/ them orally, and then assign parts of the written excercises, but not all of them. Just enough to cement the concept. hth

This is exactly what we do. I also have dd do most of the review section at the end of each chapter. This has worked great for us and has not hindered my dd's retention.:)

Often, we do several of the oral and written exercises orally (not often all of them), and then I will assign the worksheet if I feel my son needs extra practice on his own. This helps me know if he's really understood the concept. I don't use the worksheets very often, though.

So do many only use Rod and staff orally? (I do not mean to hijack) My concern is that by writing my ds will become more proficient in spelling and writing;) How do you find a happy medium with doing the work orally and writing out the work?

I appreciate any info:)

ITA with you. IMHO, the actual writing is as important as any concepts that are being taught.

So do many only use Rod and staff orally? (I do not mean to hijack) My concern is that by writing my ds will become more proficient in spelling and writing;) How do you find a happy medium with doing the work orally and writing out the work?

I appreciate any info:)

I use R&S to teach grammar. We use a spelling and writing program on top of this. I don't see the need to write out 20 sentences just to identify the subject and predicate of a sentence, for example. I also don't see the need to write out the words when ordering words alphabetically. I also think it is a waste of time to have my boys write the answers to questions like: "Which sentences are statements, questions, commands and exclamations?"

These are the sorts of things we do orally.

With our handwriting/copywork, spelling, R&S grammar, Daily Grams and Writing with Ease, I really think the boys are getting enough writing and spelling.

How do you use them? Right now I have been teaching the lesson one day and having them do the written and review questions, then doing the worksheet the next day. At this rate we will only get through half the book. I do like the worsheets so I'd like to keep using them, but I don't know if I want to drop the written book work either.

Well, and this is MY experience. Although I plan for vacations and misshaps, we always end up taking a few more weeks off than I planned for. So, with the R&S lessons, (at what 119 lessons say?) we do one lesson a day. That way, if I end up taking a day off, I'm not really behind. If it goes after dinner because Himself isn't getting it, then it goes after dinner. (I will stop and go onto another lesson, but then the 'homework' is finishing up whatever was slow going that day)

If there are tears and tears, then I would wonder what skill is not up to par that we need to go back and reinforce.

I use R&S to teach grammar. We use a spelling and writing program on top of this. I don't see the need to write out 20 sentences just to identify the subject and predicate of a sentence, for example. I also don't see the need to write out the words when ordering words alphabetically. I also think it is a waste of time to have my boys write the answers to questions like: "Which sentences are statements, questions, commands and exclamations?"

These are the sorts of things we do orally.

With our handwriting/copywork, spelling, R&S grammar, Daily Grams and Writing with Ease, I really think the boys are getting enough writing and spelling.

IKWYM, but R&S doesn't require the writing out of 20 complete sentences. I *do* see the need to write out words in alphabetical order. And writing the answers to questions such as "Which sentences...." *is* valuable.

R&S's Building Christian English series is comprehensive. Although you are heavily supplementing it, it isn't necessary, and most people don't. You're probably ok; those who don't want to supplement need to do the writing, IMHO.