Menu

My first CRISIS moment

It was my moment of truth.

My first crisis as a principal. During afternoon recess today, as about 80 kids were playing happily on the playground and I, along with a few teachers were watching them, suddenly.....

fire alarm!

It was LOUD and NOT a planned fire drill (I know when those are) and last spring we did have a fire on campus that destroyed a classroom (these buildings are old and the electrical systems are outdated).

You know how a million things go through your mind in a split second? Luckily we were already outside but I immediately started barking orders to get the kids to the outdoor basketball court (our assigned gathering place). The teachers sprung into action and within about two minutes we had the kids gathered and lined up by grade and proceeded to count them and take attendance and get ready to evacuate.

I was so proud of myself. I was happy that I didn't panic and I remembered procedure.

and then I found out

it was a FALSE ALARM!!!!!

Some doofus hit the wrong buttons on the phone system which set of our fire alarm. Apparently, this happens a few times a year.

So I felt like an idiot and my moment of truth became a moment of embarassment. :tongue_smilie:

Don't feel embarrassed! It sounds like you passed the first "crisis moment" test with flying colors. It would have been foolish not to take the alarm seriously! I'm sure the adrenaline must have kicked in when you heard the bell go off. I'm glad that all was well and everyone was ok.

ElaineJ

Gosh, Heather... you did the right thing. What if it was for real? The kids need to be prepared. Trust me -- this kind of thing happens more often than you think.

For example, when I taught 3rd grade, I was in the teacher's room at recess. I popped a bag of popcorn in the microwave and went to go to laminate some items. Forgot about the bag of popcorn. Minutes later, I hear the fire alarm go off. Everyone evacuates. 300+ kids and staff. (I'm left alone with a burnt bag of popcorn.) Soon, word spreads of "popcorn-gate" -- thus, I am banned from the microwave as a result. LOL Did that make you feel better? I hope so! :grouphug:

You're doing a super job!

Edited by tex-mex

Gosh, Heather... you did the right thing. What if it was for real? The kids need to be prepared. Trust me -- this kind of thing happens more often than you think.

For example, when I taught 3rd grade, I was in the teacher's room at recess. I popped a bag of popcorn in the microwave and went to go to laminate some items. Forgot about the bag of popcorn. Minutes later, I hear the fire alarm go off. Everyone evacuates. 300+ kids and staff. (I'm left alone with a burnt bag of popcorn.) Soon, word spreads of "popcorn-gate" -- thus, I am banned from the microwave as a result. LOL Did that make you feel better? I hope so! :grouphug:

You're doing a super job!

now THAT is funny! :lol::lol::lol:

At least you weren't the doofus who pushed the wrong button! :D

too true! OK, I feel better now.

I hate being the "new" person. Of course, in my adrenaline moment, I didn't notice that none of the older kids or their teachers were moving. Apparently false alarms happen often enough that no one really pays any attention. So here I am, the new kid on the block, barking orders like the world is ending! I'm such a dork.

I hate being the "new" person. Of course, in my adrenaline moment, I didn't notice that none of the older kids or their teachers were moving. Apparently false alarms happen often enough that no one really pays any attention. So here I am, the new kid on the block, barking orders like the world is ending! I'm such a dork.

Honestly, then, I think you need to have a talk with those teachers and their students about putting safety first. How would they know for sure it was a false alarm? They set a bad example for the little ones.

False alarms are good practice too. I was out in my garden, totally forgot dinner in the skillet. I kept hearing the alarm but as I was closer to the neighbors house I thought it was theirs until I saw my kids crawling out of the house, single file through the patio door. :D

There was a bit of smoke (cough) but dinner wasn't even black yet.

But now I know my kids have been paying attention.

Well, think of it this way. It was a drill for you and the other teachers, just as a typical fire drill is just for the kids 9who supposedly do not know it is coming anymore than you did today). Sounds like you passed YOUR drill with flying colors!!!!.

Whoever pressed the wrong button should bring the donuts for staff today, right? ;)

Honestly, then, I think you need to have a talk with those teachers and their students about putting safety first. How would they know for sure it was a false alarm? They set a bad example for the little ones.

Yes, absolutely. Unconfirmed false alarms need to be treated as the real-deal. You shouldn't be embarrassed at all.

You are the person I want in charge of my kids -- an alarm means move according to practice and protocol. The purpose of the alarm is to alert folks that a specific conduct is to begin NOW!

In college, the dorm fire alarm would go off with almost predictable regularity-- we all ignored it -- one night, firefighters began kicking in doors - the fire was real.

Sounds to me like a teachers meeting is in order and protocol has to be revisited. And, then, an assembly and the same thing happens.

I am sure that you feel sheepish -- but speaking from experience as a teacher and having experienced alarms were both real and in error, you would certainly want to err on the side of caution.

You did the right thing -- I read your post about the laws, etc where you are -- your influence in this case will be invaluable.:001_smile: I say you get a big pat on the back!:001_smile:

It was my moment of truth.

My first crisis as a principal. During afternoon recess today, as about 80 kids were playing happily on the playground and I, along with a few teachers were watching them, suddenly.....

fire alarm!

It was LOUD and NOT a planned fire drill (I know when those are) and last spring we did have a fire on campus that destroyed a classroom (these buildings are old and the electrical systems are outdated).

You know how a million things go through your mind in a split second? Luckily we were already outside but I immediately started barking orders to get the kids to the outdoor basketball court (our assigned gathering place). The teachers sprung into action and within about two minutes we had the kids gathered and lined up by grade and proceeded to count them and take attendance and get ready to evacuate.

I was so proud of myself. I was happy that I didn't panic and I remembered procedure.

and then I found out

it was a FALSE ALARM!!!!!

Some doofus hit the wrong buttons on the phone system which set of our fire alarm. Apparently, this happens a few times a year.

So I felt like an idiot and my moment of truth became a moment of embarassment. :tongue_smilie:

Don't feel that way! Consider it a fire drill for YOU. Since you know when all the others are supposed to happen, you are already prepared for those. This one wasn't prepared and you came through with flying colors. Both for yourself (it's great to know we can actually handle a crisis!) and in the eyes of your teachers....they now know they can depend on you to handle a crisis.

I say Principal gets an A+.

Now...find out if there is a way to fix the phone so no more false alarms. A body doesn't need that stress often, lol.

Just consider it an impromptu fire-drill - more true to life that way. You have no reason to be embarrassed. You did exactly what you should do. When the fire alarm goes off, you follow procedure. Then investigate to see if it is for real.

I think you should commend your staff for doing such an excellent job in organizing the students. It shows that you are well-prepared, should the real thing happen.