Menu

Sears Appliance Opinions PLEASE!!!!

Hubby and I are needing to buy a complete kitchen (appliance speaking). Hubby says since the kitchen is my doman he is leaving it entirely up to me (thats a good thing) There are soooo many brands, decisions, etc that I am totally overwhelmed. Sears speaking- whats the big difference aside from price on the Kenmore vs Kenmore elite? They both only have a one year warranty. If you're not a Sears person, what appliances are in your kitchen that you love/hate? I have one week to figure this whole thing out! :confused::confused:

I always check Consumer Reports before buying appliances. They give a great run down on features and prices along with any that may be a lemon in a particular year.

You can subscribe to consumerreports.org (I think that's the web site) for one month at a cost of something like $4.99. I've done that when I needed to find specific brand info. quick.

I've always read (and heard) that Kenmore is a good brand for the money. I would certainly give them some serious consideration.

I always check Consumer Reports before buying appliances. They give a great run down on features and prices along with any that may be a lemon in a particular year.

You can subscribe to consumerreports.org (I think that's the web site) for one month at a cost of something like $4.99. I've done that when I needed to find specific brand info. quick.

I've always read (and heard) that Kenmore is a good brand for the money. I would certainly give them some serious consideration.

We do this as well and quite often Sears comes up as top rated. We have purchased through Sears our washer/dryer, dishwasher, refrigerator, stove and vacuum cleaner. We have never had a problem w/any of them. Minor wear parts are easily obtained and usually inexpensive as well.

We have a fridge with a bottom drawer freezer in this house, it has dripping issues, I'm not sure if that's common for this type of fridge or if ours just has issues. I actually like the layout better overall, except my 4 year old cannot reach his own drink without a chair! Luckily, my 7 year old is amenable to fetching his milk/water most of the time.

It is hard to keep up, I would go with consumer reports. You want to make sure your dishwasher is quiet and washes well, there is a lot of variation, we've had some bad ones over the years. (We move a lot.)

We did a Kenmore Elite Wash/Dry from Sears and in less than six mos, the dryer was leaking. They would not replace, they wanted to repair.

I had a huge fight and finally got replacement but lost money on lower priced Whirlpool.

I will never buy Sears Appliance again.

I have LG appliances that I absolutely love, BUT... I love the extended warranty we bought from Sears. So far we have it on our two Kenmore chest freezers (one of which has been fixed twice since the original warranty was up) and our LG washer and dryer that we didn't even buy from Sears (they didn't sell LG then). So, no matter what you get, get the warranty when the original runs out.

I have LG appliances that I absolutely love, BUT... I love the extended warranty we bought from Sears. So far we have it on our two Kenmore chest freezers (one of which has been fixed twice since the original warranty was up) and our LG washer and dryer that we didn't even buy from Sears (they didn't sell LG then). So, no matter what you get, get the warranty when the original runs out.

Can I purchase this at the end of the original warranty running out or do I have to purchase it at the time of buying appliances?

Isn't Dave Ramsey admittedly against extended warranties? Just checking my brain???

This summer my mom and I went to the library and got the Consumer Reports review of kitchen appliances. If I remember the Kenmore Elite was the top rated and GE Profile was up there too. If you go to your library they will let you look at the magazine, (we had to ask at the counter).

Something to know about Kenmore appliances: Sears doesn't MAKE appliances, they slap the Kenmore name on GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, and the like. It takes some research to figure out which Kenmore models are really models of the other brands, but once you have that info, you can make better choices and find the best price, because then you're actually comparing apples to apples. Samsung and LG are Korean brands, so they're not part of the Kenmore/other brand deal. But, any of the "American" brands will carry a Kenmore label at Sears, as well as their own.

Something to know about Kenmore appliances: Sears doesn't MAKE appliances, they slap the Kenmore name on GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, and the like. It takes some research to figure out which Kenmore models are really models of the other brands, but once you have that info, you can make better choices and find the best price, because then you're actually comparing apples to apples. Samsung and LG are Korean brands, so they're not part of the Kenmore/other brand deal. But, any of the "American" brands will carry a Kenmore label at Sears, as well as their own.

Yes, you need the full model # & then get on the web & check out who's making the appliance. http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/sears.shtml

I have Kenmore Elites: dishwasher, dual fuel range, wall oven & side by side fridge with icemaker. I also have an upright freezer but that one is a plain Kenmore.

We've had NO probs with the dishwasher. The dual fuel stove had a prob with the electronic panel (made by Electrolux). It was replaced under warranty. The wall oven has been fine. The fridge (which is made by whirlpool) was a lemon & we eventually had it replaced (with another Elite but a newer model) under the lemon policy - but it was a pita to invoke the policy and get them to agree to cover it.

We do have maintenance agreements on them all & for a while there, I was really getting to know the repair guy LOL. The new fridge rocks. My 11 yo ds is in love with it because it makes shaved ice. It also has a cool function where you can tell it to dispense a certain volume of water into your glass & you can walk away while it fills it. Kinda like working at McDonald's LOL

have fun shopping

This is true! The Sears salesman we worked with a few years ago explained this to us - a bit of money saving info (at least then it was).

Our house still had the original appliances (house was built in '79) when we bought it 10 years ago - they were all Kenmore, including the furnace and a/c. We have since replaced the kitchen appliances and the furnace, not because they didn't work, but because energy use standards had changed, and we really couldn't live with the Harvest Gold any longer :D.

We now have a Maytag dishwasher - the second one because the first one was a disaster...do not recommend it. We also have an Amana fridge and stove (which, if I'm not mistaken is the same co as Maytag?) and we really like those.

Do not get a service contract with Sears.

They have horrible horrible service.

I have too many horror stories to list here.

You might want to read Consumer Reports to see how everything is rated.

You know, I used to think that. But I've changed my mind.

I think you have a few more options in the US but the fact is that in Canada there are no other companies with any service contracts. And the appliances today are just not going to last as long as the appliances even 10 years ago. As one guy put it, lady, what you've got here is a computer which happens to also keep your food cold. They're complicated. The warranties they come with are often not long enough. I know someone with a subzero appliance on the fritz & she's been battling with them to get it fixed for months. That darned fridge of hers is worth more than my minivan and it's not working right & they won't fix it..... My friends with Bosch's and LG's and Samsungs have all had their share of probs. The only people not complaining about appliances are the ones who bought high end stuff about 10 yrs ago - that stuff is still working fine.

Sears service was pretty good but I'm also pretty good about being a squeaky wheel so maybe that helped. I had an awful lot of service calls on my fridge & they were very good about coming out fast. There is a clause for food spoilage also if they don't get out quick enough. The problem I had with them was about invoking the No Lemon Clause. I had major run around with that but in the end, I did get a brand new appliance 2.5 years later because of the # of service calls on the old one......

So anyway - for us the choice is NO service plan or a mediocre one..... & given the complexity & poor quality of appliances these days, I really am not happy with no service plan at all, except for really simple appliances which you may be able to fix yourself.

We have Kenmore dishwasher and W/D and they have been faithful workhorses! When our dishwasher needed a minor repair, it cost us 100$ to fix it (1st repair in 8 years) and the repairman said he wouldn't recommend replacing it because they don't make as powerful a motor any longer. Something to do with EPA standards I think.(?) Eventually, we'll have to replace but for future reference - try to find the most powerful motor is what I took away from that experience.

The appliance brands that never gave us a bit of trouble were (in no particular order):

Kenmore, Bosch, Sub-Zero, GE, GE Profile, GE Monogram, Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Frigidaire, Dacor, LG

Had a JennAir cooktop that gave us problems.

In the home we purchased 11 months ago, there was 3 year old LG washer - I was thrilled as I loved the LG washer and dryer I had in our other home. This washer must be a lemon! More $%^&^%^ problems than you can imagine.

Right now we are in the process of selecting all new appliances for the kitchen and laundry room.

I have selected a Kitchen Aid French Door/Bottom Freezer/counter-depth; KitchenAid double drawer dishwasher (means that I don't need two dishwashers b/c this one looks like it will handle our needs).

Undecided on range/oven/cooktop/whatever: may go high end with an AGA cooker or something commercial OR be sensible and go with a Frigidaire or Electrolux range (black glass top - double ovens).

OH - and the best thing that we ever had in a kitchen was a warming drawer -- ours was by Jenn-Air and it was worth every penny ($1400.) -- We loved it and I will get another this go 'round.

Bon Appetit!

You know, I used to think that. But I've changed my mind.

I think you have a few more options in the US but the fact is that in Canada there are no other companies with any service contracts. And the appliances today are just not going to last as long as the appliances even 10 years ago. As one guy put it, lady, what you've got here is a computer which happens to also keep your food cold. They're complicated. The warranties they come with are often not long enough. I know someone with a subzero appliance on the fritz & she's been battling with them to get it fixed for months. That darned fridge of hers is worth more than my minivan and it's not working right & they won't fix it..... My friends with Bosch's and LG's and Samsungs have all had their share of probs. The only people not complaining about appliances are the ones who bought high end stuff about 10 yrs ago - that stuff is still working fine.

Sears service was pretty good but I'm also pretty good about being a squeaky wheel so maybe that helped. I had an awful lot of service calls on my fridge & they were very good about coming out fast. There is a clause for food spoilage also if they don't get out quick enough. The problem I had with them was about invoking the No Lemon Clause. I had major run around with that but in the end, I did get a brand new appliance 2.5 years later because of the # of service calls on the old one......

So anyway - for us the choice is NO service plan or a mediocre one..... & given the complexity & poor quality of appliances these days, I really am not happy with no service plan at all, except for really simple appliances which you may be able to fix yourself.

In my neck of the woods the minimum wait time to get a service appointment is 2 weeks. And then they don't show. But they will give you a million excuses why they didn't show. After insisting for hours that they really are just running late. Then they finally tell you the service guy called in sick and we really have been lying to you for the past 8 hours.

Then they will tell you, you can now wait another 2 weeks (ie: 1 month now) for another appointment that they may/may not honor.

This has happened to me not once, but 3 times.

I am on an email loop for my town and there is no subject that gets talked about more than Sears repair service (or lack of it).

I bought a Kenmore oven and within 2 months the ignitor went. I called the customer service and they set up an appointment for the technician to come over to fix it. Unfortunately, the day came and they never showed up. I called up the service department and they switched the day without every telling us. I was upset because I had to take off from work and I had to use two days off instead of one because of their incompetance. I tried to talk to a manager and I ended up in a world of "being put on hold" and how I should be grateful for their service. Anyway, I will never buy another Sears product again.