Menu

Latin Prgram with NO prayers?

ValkyrieMom

Nothing against Catholics, but after mulling it over I have concluded not to stick with with Prima Latina that just came in the mail. I don't know how I missed it, but I didn't know there were prayers as part of the learning process in the program, and we are just not comfortable with that.

We are new to homeschooling and I am already feeling overwhelmed, I just need a good strong program that I don't have to come up with extra methods for. It's one thing to *choose* not to do part of a program, but it's a waste of money and time if it's *necessary*. Know what I mean?

Also, after reading previous posts about the twangy CD, I am not impressed with this company. "Caesar didn't have a microphone" is a poor excuse for lack of consistency, especially when I've paid money for something I can't/don't want to use. It would have been classier if they would have acknowledged this rather than shrugged it off with the excuse.

Getting to the point: Which of the Latin programs doesn't have prayers involved in them? I'm looking at Lively Latin, but I' feel like I'm in a perfume store, it's all starting to smell the same now LOL!

How fast/seriously do you want to study? Latin Prep can be started at age 9, but 10+ is a better age range. It's a great programme and is secular (there are a couple of cultural references to Christianity and lots about the Roman myths as myth, that's all). I've heard that Lively Latin is very good for younger pupils, but I haven't seen it. There's a review I wrote previously of Latin Prep here.

Best wishes

Laura

We used Prima. My kids enjoyed memorizing the prayers and reciting them at a family reunion. We love to give grandma a good scare occasionally! :lol:

We did switch to Lively Latin for a couple of reasons. It is colorful with plenty of practice. Plus, I like that the history is included...not something I have to coordinate myself.

The drawback? The price of printing.

I'm going to start my ds with Lively Latin next year, and the big reason is the lack of prayers. I actually think that Latin prayers are beautiful, and completely appropriate for nonCatholics to study and learn from and even memorize, but at age 6 I just don't want to introduce potential theological confusion. Plus, I can just picture him reeling off the Nicene Creed to our rabbi and saying "this is what Mommy teaches me at home!" :blushing:

We recently started with Lively Latin and I am very happy with it for my 8 year old dd. She was actually bugging me to "do latin" this weekend! The history is interesting, the web site accessible, the text appealing. So far I ddin't see any overly religious sentiments.

I shied away from Prima Latina for the same reasons you mentioned. Though we're Christians (LDS), we don't use set prayers. I chose Lively Latin, and my 8yo is enjoying it. He especially loves the history.

You can even choose between classical and ecclesiastical pronunciation. Both are included.

If you choose Lively Latin and look into it more, you'll know what I mean here: We started the year printing pages to fit into the various sections of the notebook, which meant I couldn't print a lot of pages 2-sided. After 2 chapters, I saw no need for this division and decided to put everything in order without the notebook divisions. Now I can print everything 2-sided except the flashcards (and a game in ch. 3).

There are a considerably large number of Latin programs that are secular. Most, in fact.

Grammar-based: Latin for Americans, Latin Prep, So You Really Want to Learn Latin, Wheelock's Latin, Great Latin Adventure, Lively Latin, Latin is Fun, Lingua Latina (Traupman)

Reading Based: Minimus/Cambridge Latin, Ecce Romani, Oxford Latin Course

Direct Method: Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata (Oerberg)

Combination: Latin for the New Millennium

Latin for Children is grammar-based and the supplementary readers do have some religious content.

You can even choose between classical and ecclesiastical pronunciation. Both are included.

That's right. In Academia, classical pronunciation is used. Unless you're sending the kids to seminary, it's probably best to teach them the classical pronunciation.

I think Prima Latina teaches ecclesiastical pronunciation (am I correct in this?). Not so useful in academia, but great if you're going into seminary. ;)

After trying Prima Latina (I'm southern and even I agree about the tangy cd!) we switched to Latin for Children Primer A for older son and Songschool Latin for younger son. So far both are big hits!! There may be more religious content to come (only on Ch 5) but I haven't seen anything that was overwhelming. I chose Prima Latina becuase I liked the idea of learning the prayers but didn't care for the format.

We use the cd (both classical and ecclesiastical pronunciation is provided) and the DVD which also offers lessons in both styles of pronunciation. I find these to be very high quality and enjoy the activity book as well.

Good luck with making your choice!

We just started Rosetta Stone (regular edition), and the kids really like it (they also do french and spanish on rosetta stone because we just lucked into getting them for free!!!). We did Prima Latina last year, and it was like pulling teeth... I feel like they already have a better grasp on things now, and we are at the very beginning. But my kids are absolutely visual learners...they have a very hard time with languages out of a book (as do I). I do not, however, have the years of experience with languages that other people do on this board. Have any of you "real" latin people compared Rosetta Stone to these other programs? Are they even comparable?

Thanks so much ladies!

I cringed to say anything about the prayers--we are Christian so I don't mind the spiritual references, but we don't believe in scripted prayers for day-to-day things, and I wasn't comfortable with prayers that espouse a specific religion that's not my own. Whew! I'm so glad you guys understand where I was coming from (especially on the twangy cd!):lol: